#1 OFFLINE   BMWE90

BMWE90

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 727 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:26 AM

This is the last straw, I've had it with Kyosho.  Their poor business practices must be revealed.

Kyosho's quality control is getting poorer and poorer.  The BMW Z4 silver I bought came with a scratch on the roof and some white dot on the driver's door and the trunk will not stay open.  The situation dragged on for almost half a year now and it has been unresolved.  Kyosho Japan and the retail store won't do anything after many back and forth communications.

I am sick and tired of the diecast industry.  Any quality control problems or flaws get passed onto the consumer and the consumers are the ones who take the major hit.  I will not buy anymore diecasts and I will not waste any more money on this hobby.  Diecast companies do not care about the consumers and treat us poorly when we are the ones who spend.

Heck, if you are going to spend money on diecasts, then please spend it on Maisto.  Maisto seems like the only company I've had no problems with.

Those who complain about Autoart, well Kyosho is in the same league.

Anyways, I would like to share my bad  experience.  I will find as many diecast forums as possible and post this.

PS: Just a heads up, the store I purchase the car from is NewAce Hong Kong.  Well, they won't be getting anymore of my business.
Posted Image

View my collection here ! :D

My Photoshoot: Audi R8 vs Gallardo BMW Z4 BMW M3 BMW Z4 Coupe

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   emmanouil

emmanouil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4,169 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:gr

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

There are increased complains about Kyosho quality problems. I personally had one a couple of years ago with my M6 that the rear windshild was not stuck properly and hinted the opening of the rear bonnet. This year the mini rally, had some glue remainings in the front part, impossible to taken off

#3 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts
  • Favorite Brands:I HATE KYOSHO
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:44 AM

This is probably the only hobby in the world where its safer to buy second hand than new!
David

#4 OFFLINE   simpip

simpip

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 568 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:it

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

My Z4 came with a wide scratch too, on the bonnet. Some cotton+Mirage polish=it disappeared in a few minutesPosted Image

#5 OFFLINE   smgking

smgking

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:si

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

I totally agree. I am tired of paying around 70EUR for a model and get disappointed after recieving it. Furthermore I am considering selling most of my cars and keep like 3 or 4.

#6 OFFLINE   MED

MED

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

I know AUTOart catches a lot of heat around here, but I've long said that Kyosho and Minichamps are not much better.  I can't tell you the number of times I've had problems with Kyosho BMWs and Minichamps Bentleys.

#7 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, the R8 V10 I had has some glue marks around the door handle, and paintwork itself isn't without flaws. Also as far as I can see, most, if not all R8 has some horrible panel miss alignment, same with their M3 E92. Some Ferrari F40's have some front ride height issues as well.

Overall I would say Kyosho is definitely on the decline, but it still isn't as bad as Autoart.

#8 OFFLINE   Scalainj

Scalainj

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, HPI, Neo
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Is their a Kyosho distributor in your country - if so go to them - if they won't play get your equivalent of Trading Standards on them for failing to supply satisfactory goods.

Andy
When you have nothing good to say, best say nothing.

It only has 140 horses. I exercise them daily

#9 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,446 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Proud Citizen of:bg

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

As some DXers expected a couple of years ago - Kyosho seems is following suite of AUTOart...   :occasion14: Soon the rest will join up too  http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/public/style_emoticons/default/mob.gif Budgets it seems are the ones that are continuing improving while the so called upper classes are going on a downfall. I'm sure they will quickly "fix" the issue with some new lines that are "of guaranteed quality" but only if you pay for it   :wavetowel2:

I'll be back
Posted Image
Clear the decks, the Rammstein tanker is once again under steam!
www.diecast-utopia.com
stuffedparty.com
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#10 OFFLINE   JJZ109er

JJZ109er

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,700 posts
  • Interests:1/18 diecast Ferrari Mustang Bugatti Audi BMW AM Porsche Ford GT40 Chaparral. History/World Affairs. Sci-Fi. Airshows, Auto Racing(IMSA, LM, ALMS, Indycar, F1)
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart-Maisto-Kyosho-Exoto-Mattel

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

I hear ya. I had a Kyosho M3 E46 in Imola Red, which I purchased used. It was in excellent condition except...the paint on the four corners of the hood and trunk was mottly, bumpy like they had been handle after being painted. When pay for quality you should get quality. I have many Maisto's which I am overall pleased with. At least when you buy a Maisto, there's no illusion about it being a budget model. Except for the paint job on some Maisto's that looks a little thick compared to AutoArt or Kyosho paint jobs. the dog legs and some poor fitting body panels I am satisfied with Maisto. And Maisto seems to be the easiest to mod.
"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you." - BATMAN BEGINS

#11 OFFLINE   118supercars

118supercars

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, nature/outdoors.
  • Number of Models:60
  • Favorite Brands:none

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Strictly speaking from my own collection and tastes, I do not like Kyosho.  First of all, their subject matter bores me to death.  They made and rereleased every single variant of the Ferrari 308 and 328, yet they couldn't change the mold a minor bit to make 288 GTO?  If they're going to rerelease models, why not the Supra, NSX and RX-7 that need an update in 1:18?  Or, they can release every displacement and color of all new Bangle era BMW's but not an E39 M5 or 8 Series?  I don't get why they're so conservative.  It's true not everyone wants nothing but obscure supercars in their collection, but I imagine the demand for the cars I mentioned is higher than the pedestrian cars Kyosho makes.

I buy 90% of my models from other private collectors, and I'm not a quality snob, so collecting 1:18's works out perfect for me.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,700 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

You're giving up on the hobby because you received a model with a scratch on the roof? Posted Image

"Poor business practices" and poor QC are two totally different things. Kyosho is clearly not in AUTOart's league of either...
Justin

#13 OFFLINE   Ford GT

Ford GT

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 7,031 posts
  • Interests:1:18 - 1:43 - 1:64
  • Favorite Brands:Truescale Miniatures

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

My Kyosho's are some of the best models I own. I only have three mind you but they are really nice for the money.

Compare that to my AUTOart models and there isn't one WITHOUT a flaw. Not one. Scratches, paint chips, glue marks, missing or broken pieces.

It does like there are more and more complaints against Kyosho though so something must be going on. Like Justin, I wouldn't put Kyosho in the same gutter that AUTOart has been in for some time just yet.
j u s t i n

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,554 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

Sorry to hear of your dissapointment. Of most the manufaturers I have bought over the years - Autoart, BBR, CMC, Exoto etc... the Kyoshos (19 of them) have been amongst the best in terms of quality control. In my opinion their Ferrari 250 GTO, F40, 365GTB4, 512 Boxer, Lancia Stratos, Lamborghini Countach / Muira represent outstanding value for money.

Whilst the handling of your damaged BMW by both Kyosho and NewAce is substandard, have faith, I certainly don't think it warrants turning your back on the hobby   :occasion14: .

Edited by simondc07, 30 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   street2soul

street2soul

• DX Community
  • 44 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart Kyosho

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Perhaps you should start accusing the retailers. They seem to have "knowledge" to some extent about diecast defects.

#16 OFFLINE   carbonsigma

carbonsigma

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5,450 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, MR

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

View Poststreet2soul, on 30 June 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:

Perhaps you should start accusing the retailers. They seem to have "knowledge" to some extent about diecast defects.
It is the retailer that ultimately sells the defective model. I buy my Kyosho BMWs from the dealer, and have never been sold one with QC issues, as the dealer would not sell a damaged model.
Posted Image
Collection | Shoots
Latest: 1:1 1999 Nissan Skyline BNR34 GT-R V-Spec

#17 OFFLINE   Seby123

Seby123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,575 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:de

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

i always buy second hand models...never bought from newace since i dont know how to order there   :occasion14:  maybe thats a good thing lol

also do dealers sell hobby editions? because as carbonsigma said dealers never sell damaged models.
Cheers,
Sebastian

My Collection |
Latest addition: 1/18 GT Spirit LB Performance BMW M4

#18 OFFLINE   smgking

smgking

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:si

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

View Postcarbonsigma, on 30 June 2010 - 07:23 PM, said:

It is the retailer that ultimately sells the defective model. I buy my Kyosho BMWs from the dealer, and have never been sold one with QC issues, as the dealer would not sell a damaged model.

Not true. I know guy who bought F02 Kyosho from BMW dealership. It came without rear view mirrors.

#19 OFFLINE   giamino

giamino

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,862 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho, maisto, bbr
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

I've purchased from NewAce before and they were good. Fast shipping and excellent packaging. So I suppose no retailer can be 100% all the time maybe?

On Kyosho, well I've got about 9 - 10 Kyosho's and I'm pretty happy with them. Some of them are excellent like the Audi R8, CLK DTM, F40 LW, E92 M3 and F02 7er. I have to agree with the Z4 tho as the boot doesn't stay up on my E89 and the hood doesn't close properly. The M6 is also not a very good model to me but overall I am happy with them as they don't cost a bomb like Autoart or Hotwheels Elite.

So yea, like some have said, don't turn your back on this hobby just because of one model or one manufacturer. Have faith.

#20 OFFLINE   Autobahn

Autobahn

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3,353 posts
  • Interests:F1, TopGear, and the St. Louis Cardinals
  • Number of Models:140
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, Norev, OTTO

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

I guess I'm lucky, as I've bought over 30 Kyoshos and consider them to be among the best models in my collection.

That said, I think QC is on a decline in most companies, probably due to the labor situation in China where most if not all of these cars are manufactured.  I can't see giving up on the hobby, but I am certainly more discerning about what I purchase.
Matt

Recent Purchases:
BoS 1978 Continental Mark V, Black
BoS 1967 Chrysler Newport convertible, Spice Gold
Schuco 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS (991), Carmine Red

#21 OFFLINE   Florin

Florin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Kyosho

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

OP: before I can comment on this situation, what exactly is your location? Your profile indicated Canada, the model was bought from HK and shipped to you?
But...but...but the Chinese labor rates!

#22 OFFLINE   Seby123

Seby123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2,575 posts
  • Proud Citizen of:de

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

View Postsmgking, on 01 July 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:

Not true. I know guy who bought F02 Kyosho from BMW dealership. It came without rear view mirrors.

good dealers let you look at the car before you buy it...actually every dealer should give you the option so its gotta be your friends fault there.

my love for kyosho remains <3
Cheers,
Sebastian

My Collection |
Latest addition: 1/18 GT Spirit LB Performance BMW M4

#23 OFFLINE   carbonsigma

carbonsigma

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5,450 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, MR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

View Postsmgking, on 01 July 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:

That sucks. My dealer opens the box and shows me the model before I buy it..
Posted Image
Collection | Shoots
Latest: 1:1 1999 Nissan Skyline BNR34 GT-R V-Spec

#24 OFFLINE   BMWE90

BMWE90

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

Wow, I am actually surprised at the responses I am getting.  Looks like I am not the only one experiencing this. Shame on Kyosho. I really think its inexcusable for the poor quality control when you pay 100 + for a model compared to 10 dollars for Maisto.

Kyosho always has some knicks here and there but this Z4 I received was the last straw especially when I cannot get an exchange.

This issue has been kept quite bottled up for some time now and I had to release it.  

The distributor "Leasar / Gaincorp" are an a** about this.  Distributor won't help either.  I am currently in Hong Kong right now.  When it comes to customer service, I have to say, North America is a lot better.

Actually, BMW dealers in Canada (Autohaus and Town + Country) aren't so great about exchanging/refunding defect models either because they call it "Special orders."  Well, if you make a scene, you do eventually get a refund.  In the past when I first purchased my "first" Kyosho models at BMW Autohaus, the guy who worked there was very nice about it when I received two defective models.  The rear of the BMW 330i had the wheels sunk too deep on the right side and the M6 I received had a wheel that wasn't painted and the door sills was not etched with "=== M6 ===."  Unfortunately, the guy doesn't work there anymore now.

I really hate buying models now because I have to "pray" that there won't be any defects.  I remember when I buy Maisto, I never had to "pray" there won't be something wrong with it.  Maybe I really should stick to Maisto.
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   BMWE90

BMWE90

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

View PostDiecast24/7, on 30 June 2010 - 03:17 PM, said:

You're giving up on the hobby because you received a model with a scratch on the roof? Posted Image

"Poor business practices" and poor QC are two totally different things. Kyosho is clearly not in AUTOart's league of either...
Poor business practices = letting crappy models past QC and not exchanging or refunding.  Similar issues.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use