Buyers beware! Exoticar again...

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_SaraHynes_*

Guest_SaraHynes_*

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

View Posttonyg54, on 28 March 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postbater68, on 27 March 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

all that has been written about Exoticar is true and then some.  I live in Massachusetts where they have had their retail locations over the years.  They are just as inept when you deal with them in person.  It's sad. I began collecting back in 1994 and bought my first diecast from Exoticar.  They had a large warehouse/showroom.  They seemed to have a good thing going.  Then several years later they began moving their facility to smaller, lesser places....hidden office parks, small strip malls.  Their showrooms were dumps, with broken models, trash and debris on the floor.....and funny enough...the sound of their one customer service person arguing with unhappy customers on the phone.  Most recently, they have changed their name to Hollywood Model Gallery......I'm sure as a result of the horrible reputation they earned as Exoticar.  Last week I was looking at their website.  They now show a new phone # and address....Hanover Ma. in the Hanover Mall.  Decided to take a chance and drive over to check it out.....guess what?  Doesn't exist!  Confused, I called the phone # listed on their website....phone rings and rings and no one picks up.....not even a voicemail.  I would strongly urge anyone thinking of dealing with them not to.....ever!

As far as recouping anything from them financialy if you've been stiffed.......sadly, I'd say your out of luck.

I remember back in '99 I was on a business trip and went to their Avon, MA location. I was filled with excitement due to their high quality catalogs with pages and pages of the most desirable models on the planet. I was certain that I'd be like Charlie entering the chocolate factory...

Needless to say, their "HQ" was a concrete warehouse in a barren industrial park. Their "showroom" was a 20x10 front office stocked with mostly 43rds and a few 1/18's. I asked to see the real stock and they wouldn't let me back in the "showroom" aka the dock. I left with a 1/43rd Art Ferrari California but couldn't find anything else to buy. I was sooo disappointed.

Edited by SaraHynes, 07 April 2011 - 08:32 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#77 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6,888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostSaraHynes, on 06 April 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

I also know hes on welfare and couldnt afford his house so he rents it out to random women. He STILL lives on Jerusalem rd. He forced his co worker to have an abortion. He cheated on his wife with my friend and when my friend told him she thought it was wrong for his wife to not know about them he beat her. Peter Tedeschi is the most worthless piece of shit i know i know much more if you would like to know.

Listen, we all know that these people are less than exemplary but personal details of their life don't interest us. You've made your point, okay? This forum is about diecast cars and the personal life of these people isn't fair game so unless you want to discuss your involvement in our hobby, just let it go okay? We really don't care where this guy lives or what he had for breakfast.
Justin

#78 OFFLINE   JSB 33

JSB 33

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,416 posts
  • Interests:Family, Cars (1:1 & 1:43) Automotive books, Guns, yard work and gardening
  • Favorite Brands:M/C, Spark, Bizarre

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Wow, that was an interesting post  :lamende:

A bit personal, no?
Jeff
"When politicians are arrogant enough to think they can plan and control life better than free people, people suffer."

Posted ImageE Rod_017, on 23 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Reason why 1:43 scale cars aren't that popular because most people including me(sorry it I offend) consider them toys and not Collectable model cars. .

Should you collect 1:43?

The Paladin

In my opinion, no if you can afford 1:18 models. First of all, most people will think of them as toys, while 1:18 models can look as something classy if you have a few.

Like things in a smaller scale? Try Scale143
Click on my banner to see my website
Posted Image

#79 OFFLINE   rvlyssup

rvlyssup

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

Whoa...this thread went to s**t, TMI anyone???

Edited by rvlyssup, 06 April 2011 - 01:57 PM.

Yep...still a Vag-Gun-Stang-freak. :adore:
PSALM 13.1 - 13.6

#80 Guest_SaraHynes_*

Guest_SaraHynes_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

View PostDiecast24/7, on 06 April 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostSaraHynes, on 06 April 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

Listen, we all know that these people are less than exemplary but personal details of their life don't interest us. You've made your point, okay? This forum is about diecast cars and the personal life of these people isn't fair game so unless you want to discuss your involvement in our hobby, just let it go okay? We really don't care where this guy lives or what he had for breakfast.

fair game. You would be mad too though if you lost a ton. Very true though sorry.

#81 OFFLINE   Diecast24/7

Diecast24/7

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6,888 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

I appreciate that but you're trying t convince us that they're scum of the earth and we knew that years ago. It's just not relevant anymore and we don't care where the dirtbag lives or what he does. They're history.
Justin

#82 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Post118supercars, on 16 July 2010 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostMcLarenF1God, on 16 July 2010 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the premium diecast collecting scene. As I child I always wanted the Autoarts and UT models, but 50 bucks for a 10 year old was not cuttin' it when five Maistos could be had at Costco for 10 bucks a pop. Now that I have a great job, I can finally start putting down some money on said Autoart diecast, as well as my love for Kyosho.

I just bought a Kyosho Jota SVR from exoticar/hollywoodwhatever. I looked that website up and down before making my order and it seemed legit...but you guys are not making this sound like I will be recieving my Lambo anytime soon. I wish I'd have saw this thread prior to ordering. Not a good 2nd purchase I imagine.

My very first purchase was from DMWholesale and the model came fast and in perfect condition, minus a small ding on the corner of the box, but that's the risk you take when you order from somewhere that uses UPS. Nonetheless, I look forward to building my future collection with sites like these:

speednation.com
diecastmodelswholesale.com
diecastdirect.com
diecastcountry.com
scale18.com
collectablediecast.com
diecastbymail.com

Should I avoid any of these websites? Are there any quality sellers I am missing?

Thanks

I would recommend avoiding DM Wholesale, I and a bunch of other collectors here have had nothing but bad experiences with them.  scale18.com and collectablediecast.com are both good retailers, they have an established reputation on DX.  Replicarz and DiecastFast (which have links at the top of the page) are both very dependable also.

I stumbled upon this site when trying to find out what ever happened to Exoticar since I want to start collecting diecast cars again. I collected them as a kid, but I only had bburago and maisto. I never had a issue with Exoticar, but this was a LONG time ago and maybe they didn't think a $20 scam was worth it haha.

Anyways, I've tried ordering from COLLECTABLEDIECAST.com  TWICE now and I must say I will never look at their site again. The first time I ordered a AutoArt  Porsche 911 turbo, I got the confirmation email and eventually I got the tracking number that said it would be at my house in about a week. The day comes for its arrival and nothing...I check the tracking number and it says the shipper canceled the tracking number. WTF? I never received a e-mail explaining why or any kind of notice what so ever. I ordered again, but this time the LE pink beetle, never got an email or a reason why it's not being shipped. They lack any sort of customer service, they could easily just say "Sorry for the inconvience, but we no longer have this product and are removing it from the website." Instead they just do nothing.

#83 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

GREAT! I found the AutoArt pink beetle on amazon, it says in stock so I ordered it and I realized the seller is CollectableDiecast INC!!!! At least this time I got an e-mail from amazon...I wonder if I will even get it this time.

#84 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Anyone want to take a guess how my Amazon order went? I ordered it on Friday and TONIGHT, Wednesday I got a e-mail telling me it's out of stock...this company has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! I will only buy from ebay from now on.

Edited by BDMao88, 14 August 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#85 OFFLINE   tonyg54

tonyg54

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Minichamps

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I hope you let Amazon know about your experience.

#86 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

View Posttonyg54, on 14 August 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I hope you let Amazon know about your experience.

I just left a review for them.

I'm so upset because this was a limited car, they NEVER informed me of the Porsche 911 ordeal, so I only found out when checking the TRACKING NUMBER!  So, that was a week wasted and I thought well I might as well get that Limited Pink Beetle instead, so I order it and no e-mail telling me we can't do the order since it's out of stock, even though at the time it said it was in stock. Now I'm like ok there are no places to find this LE beetle, but I tried and I was surprised to find it on Amazon IN STOCK! I immediately place the order all excited and when I was done I was not at all since I realized it was the same company...but I still had some hope thinking maybe they kept two seperate stocks for the main company and Amazon. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED MONDAY!!!!!!! But no, I was notifed Wednesday NIGHT it was out of stock!!! They asked if I wanted the Tan beetle or to cancel....I obviously canceled and told them this whole ordeal and I got a simple response of them saying for me to understand that their system lags between the store and amazon.

Why does it seem like diecast companies are absolutely horrible and in a world of their own? This is 2013 and you can't keep track of diecast cars or alert customers? I guess the only place to buy them is ebay...

Who knows when the hell I will get back in to collecting diecast after all of this!!!

Edited by BDMao88, 15 August 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#87 OFFLINE   Cuda Jeff

Cuda Jeff

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:Movie & TV vehicles, Police cars
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels Cult Classics
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostBDMao88, on 14 August 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

...this company has THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I'm totally stomped that they are still in business!  :lamende:

**** Click my banner to see my entire 1/18 collection ****

**THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE  380,000+ VIEWS**

Posted Image

#88 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostCuda Jeff, on 15 August 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Really ? I guess I should have done a search on them first on here. I ordered from them over wholesalediecast because of a comment in this thread.

#89 OFFLINE   tonyg54

tonyg54

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Minichamps

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostBDMao88, on 15 August 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Really ? I guess I should have done a search on them first on here. I ordered from them over wholesalediecast because of a comment in this thread.

WHAT? there was a positive comment in this thread about exoticar?

#90 OFFLINE   BDMao88

BDMao88

• DX Community
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Posttonyg54, on 15 August 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostBDMao88, on 15 August 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

WHAT? there was a positive comment in this thread about exoticar?

No, my review is about Collectable Diecast Inc. When I was young I ordered from Exoticar and I'm trying to get back in to collecting and couldn't find them and that's how I stumbled upon this thread and forum. Someone recommended CD inc. and it was a HORRIBLE experience.

Edited by BDMao88, 15 August 2013 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use