DiecastXchange Forum banner

JSI F-14 Tomcat in 1/18

35K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  mairandeddy 
#1 ·
Yes, that is a 1/18 Hot Wheels Ferrari!
My son got this for Christmas as he fell in love with the F14 that is at the Smithsonian. We were going to hang it in his room with some of the other planes he has, but decided to buy the display stand as it might be too heavy!

It is plastic but weighs 20-25lbs! It is not a kit, but you have to do some assembly. The reason it is on a plastic container is that I have read online that the landing gear tends to snap due to the weight and we did not want to risk it. The gear rotates in just like the 1:1. I broke one of the tabs for the rear wing assembling it, so I need to improvise.

BTW, we got "Top Gun" and "The Final COuntdown" on DVD

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
For those of us that stray into 1/18 that get off the ground, JSI has announced a 1/18 Tomcat! At 41.5 inches long, I must say that it will be the largest 1/18 for me to date. And one that will be hard to "sneak" into the man-cave! Another good news is that it looks like JSI will take over the 21th Century Toys molds as they have announced a P-38.
Ha Ha!
Well done Al!

Problem solved - get your son to carry the can!!

Great addition, I've wanted for a long time but just wish I had the room to display one!!

#7 ·
And don't you even think about getting one and putting those jacked up/off-road wheels on it!

#11 ·
They actually are sping loaded! Good eyes! The wings sweep, the rear wings pivot, the canopy opens, the nose cone opens to reveal the radar, the arresting hook moves, the landing gear/doors operate just like the 1:1 and all the armament is removable. It even has the pilot step, but I haven't figure out how to lower it.
Also, the cockpit is well detailed!

BTW, I got it for about $200 shipped.

#16 ·
I note your comments about the undercarriage Al, and found this thread on the Small Scale Military Headquarters forum that you might want to read as it is by others who've experienced problems and have posted some detailed fixes...it would appear that sometimes there is a metal rod missing (QC issue).
If you read all the 4 pages it also discusses issues like tips on unfolding/refolding of the undercarriage so as to avoid breakage and the problems with the painted-over crew steps....hope you find it useful in pre-empting/sorting any problems...

#17 ·
WOW ...just WOW!!!

That is an amazing model, congrats to junior! I bet he went crazy when he opened it, I know I would have!

Sean

#21 ·
F-14, F-18, F-16 should ALL be done. In my mind those are the three most popular jets from a U.S. military standpoint...although you could argue Hornet vs. Super Hornet and now the F-22 Raptor. I'd like to see them all done personally. Hahaha, it's safe to say that because it doesn't cause me a dime till I want to purchase one.

#20 ·
Is the nosewheel able to do the "kneeling" catapult-launch stance as well? That completes the look.

It's an unbelievably cool model, but I do think the F-14 wore the muted all-gray better than the louder paint schemes. The one in DC is gorgeous.
Joe, I am afraid to try the front so we ordered the clear stand to display it. This model has been roasted due to all the "spots" weathering, but it is cool nontheless. I had planned to correct it, but will most likely leace it as is. Another flaw is that the Jolly Rogers (VF-84)never flew the "Bombcat" as this modle is depicted.

Here he is with the same aircraft this summer and the reason we got the plane.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well F-14, F-16 & F-18 have been made in 1/18 scale ... but on Ebay they are selling big $$$ ... especially the F-16 & F-18

The F-15 wasn't release in 1/18 scale but it should as well.

AND I WOULD KILL TO GET A 1/18 SCALE "A-10 WARTHOG"

... my all-time favorite jet, with the "jaws" in front!!!

Sky Aircraft Airplane Vehicle Aerospace manufacturer

Attachments

#25 ·
LOL. So I've heard. I would love to have of couple of these on display in a big case if I ever have a "Man Room". Dreaming here...one of these done with my old squadron markings...the other in a fantasy marking, full ground crew, GSE, pilot, etc. (sigh)...ok dream over.

#28 ·
A few years ago, these planes were marked for production. I saved the pictures off of the internet. I was hoping to get them, but I'm not sure if they will ever happen now. Some of the manufacturers have gone out of business, others scaled back. Some may still be produced, we'll shall see.

21st Century = B-25 Mitchell, F-4 Phantom (this one was pretty much done!), Mig 21

Admiral Toys = SBD Dauntless ( I had this one on pre-order. They actually redid part of the mold and it was basically ready)

JSI = SU-27 Flanker, F-15 Eagle (These may still happen.)

There was also a model of the A-10 that looked almost ready, may have been both bbi and 21st Century. Word on the street was that they both stopped as they both figured the other company was going to release it first.

More

And one more.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.