DiecastXchange Forum banner

BMW M6 Coupe

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  godzilla 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In 2003; BMW introduced the revolutionairy E60 5-series. Not so much a revolutionairy car technically, but it was a tremendous leap in design. Chris Bangle introduced his flame surfacing and as a result; the 5-series was both hated and beloved. Especially the bootlid caused a lot of controversy. And it became worse when BMW announced the coupe-version of the 5; the E63 6-series. With its menacing shape and pompous, but somehow elegant stance, the BMW made you feel emotional. You loved it; or you hated it. There is no way in between. And BMW pushed the design-limits even further with the M6. A massive airvent, broader wheelarches and four exhausts make sure you instantly know which car this is. And on top of that; it has a carbon fibre roof, which is as cool as iceland.

There are many details on the M6 that make it an M6 and Kyosho has tried to install all of them on their version, in 1/18 scale. But first of all I have to say that this model is heavy. Properly heavy; 978 g which is exactly proportionate to the scale. The same goes for the shape. Kyosho has replicated the difficult surfaces of the car perfectly. From the fluent sideskirts to the chunky bootlid; every line and every surface flows as gracious and complex as the real deal. Very impressive.
The same goes for the detailing. As I've said earlier; the detailing make the M6 so in order to capture the magic of the M6; you have to get every single detail right. Let's start with the grille. The M6 was the only 6-series without chrome bars in it's bumper as standard. So they aren't here. The special door mirrors with its aerodymanic panels have been replicated only in colour, but not in shape. On the real car; they lie concave in the silver parts; but at the model; they follow the same surface as the rest of the mirror. The little spoiler on the bootlid is represented and the four exhausts shine in all their chome brilliance. Logo's are all seperate peices and all the lights are insanely detailed. These must have driven the engineers mad. Last but not least; the carbon fibre roof has the exact right texture and colour as you would expect.

The shape is enhanced by the fantastic paintjob. The silver paint sparkles and shines as if the car was dipped in liquid metal. On top of that; the paint is of equal thickness at every edge and of equal intensity at every surface. Quite simply brilliant.

When you open the door; the first thing you notice is that it hinges unnaturally smooth. That's because of the frameless windows; which don't have to close or shut behind other body parts. Speaking of the matter; the side windows seem to be made out of other plastic as the rest of the glass, because at my model; the edges become smudged and less transparent.The interior itself is fully carpeted and the seats feel like rubber. They also bend forwards and backwards when you push them, so chances are they are actually made out of this flexible material. The dashboard is quite simply black. Everything is black and lifeless; apart from the center console; which has this carbon-like texture on top of it. Unfortunately; the texture is way to rough for this scale, so it's not very realistic.

The doorhinges are hidden from view, but the bootlid opens with dogleg hinges. Not a problem, I beleive (but not sure) the real car has these as well. Also, the boot is fully carpented, including the inner side of the bootlid. You can open the engine bay it two way's. With a knife or other sharp tool; or with the little pin underneath the car. When you push the pin, the lid opens and displays two dogleg hinges. That could have been done better. The engine bay itself reminds us of the interior. If you like black; you'll love it, but there's really not much to see. All the stickers and safety-warnings are represented and some of the details are painted silver. But that's about it. The wheels are shiny and nice as you would expect, although the tire walls aren't marked.

Car: BMW M6 Coupe
Manufacturer: Kyosho
Scale: 1/18
Price: $94
Score: 90/100

Kyosho has fully understood that the normal BMW 6-series is not as special as a Lamborghini or Audi R8. But more importantly; they have perfectly understood which details do make the M6 as special as those cars. It has some faults, some big ones in fact, but despite that, this is quite simply one of the best models I've ever come across.

See less See more
#7 ·
Great review of a good (albeit old) model. I've been looking for an Indianapolis Red version, my Interlagos Blue is a little too dark for my liking. Odd that the Convertible does have chrome grilles
Fault on my side; the Coupe did not have them as standard; but the convertible did. They were also available on the coupe though... My bad!

#10 ·
The Kyosho BMW M6 is a fantastic model. Kyosho did a brilliant job with most if not all of the BMWs in my opinion, but this is perhaps the best effort they made. I sold my Indianapolis Red and Alpine White M6s when I needed money and space for additional diecasts, and I regret getting rid of them. I figure I'll pick one up eventually as I am trying to collect as many BMW M cars as possible. I wish Kyosho would've used a lighter interior color to show off the details a bit more, but this is the only nit that I can pick with what is otherwise an excellent model. Thanks for sharing the pictures and review!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.