spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Favorite Brands:I HATE KYOSHO
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:02 AM

I have four red Kyosho models, and this is happening on all of them:

Attached File  299262_10150369353040272_673400271_10367765_174767436_n.jpg   35.13K   106 downloads

You can see what is happening on the spoiler where the light is shining. The paint is starting to develop the texture of very, very fine sandpaper.

I first noticed this on one of the models about six months ago, a tiny little bit on just one of them, but now it literally covers all four models.

I don't display any of these models, they are stored in a wardrobe, in their original packaging, 100% of the time.  One of the boxes is the clamshell type, the model is still covered with the tissue paper it came with. None of them are over 5 years old. The climate here is very moderate, and not a hint of damp in the room.
None of my other models show signs of this - AUTOart, Minichamps, Spark, BBurago - all stored in the same place as the Kyoshos.

I am utterly horrified with this and it has put me off collecting all together, especially as these are my favourite models.
David

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

This has pretty much happened to 99% of my Kyosho models, including my lime green Miura.

#3 OFFLINE   m_power

m_power

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,167 posts
  • Interests:European and Japanese cars, Women, Top Gear, Food, Photography, Watches
  • Favorite Brands:MR
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Sorry to see that. I'm baffled that kyosho hasn't addressed this issue.

#4 OFFLINE   Catcher

Catcher

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Cars, handguns, wine
  • Favorite Brands:CMC Kyosho Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:ru

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Sorry to hear about this, my red Kyosho 250 GTO has some of it too, at least now I am aware that it can get worse. Rather irresponsible of Kyosho indeed, especially considering how much their Ferraris have gone up in value. People are paying top dollar just to get this.

#5 OFFLINE   oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

My Kyosho BMW 750Li Individual Onyx Blue boot and Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4 Yellow front trunk and spoiler has this.
Its not Zinc pest though...I tried to wet sand it and polish it off but very minimal success.
I might end up having to repaint the BMW Individual's boot at this point.
oscaralpha.com

#6 OFFLINE   F355spiderMan

F355spiderMan

John

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Cars, video games, football, food, guns.
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Interesting, I haven't found any problems on my kyosho  models. Knock on wood.  Not something a collector wants to hear, it makes me worry about buying kyosho models now. Anyone know that just a little amount of moist that just sits inside the clam shell can cause this? I'm a member from another forum someone who bought a dehumidifier for their guns and ammo. It works good sucking all the moist out. http://www.walmart.c...16326912  Had a photo of it where the water level was 1 inch high with just a few weeks. It's not recommended to keep a gun in the closed case it came with so it might be the same for clam shell car model. Take it out and let it breath every once in a while. Even though some of things are not displayed I check it from time to time.  Sorry to hear it happen on your favorite models.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyg54

tonyg54

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Minichamps

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

I wonder if we should put more of those silica gel packets in our storage areas or model boxes. I wonder if a 1:1 autobody guy would be able to diagnose the issue. Sorry to hear about the problem David, our worst collecting nightmare.

#8 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,951 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 11 September 2011 - 04:02 AM, said:

I am utterly horrified with this and it has put me off collecting all together, especially as these are my favourite models.

This is truly horrific Spadge..... :gaah:

I too have a lot invested in Kyoshos, and to be honest had thought them free of such defects......  :omg:

Like you I'm of the opinion that if you only get 5-10 years out of them before they begin to crumble/degenerate into something unrecognisable then I too am reconsidering if I really want to invest further........  :wavetowel2:

From what others are saying it isn't just the red models that are affected, but to be honest the bulk of my 43 Kyoshos are Fezzas....and red ones at that....

:bawling:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

View PostMonster, on 11 September 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

This has pretty much happened to 99% of my Kyosho models, including my lime green Miura.

I don't know about you, but I find this unacceptable. Does it continue to get worse and worse over time? I thought it might just be the red models but evidently not.

View PostCatcher, on 11 September 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

Sorry to hear about this, my red Kyosho 250 GTO has some of it too, at least now I am aware that it can get worse. Rather irresponsible of Kyosho indeed, especially considering how much their Ferraris have gone up in value. People are paying top dollar just to get this.

Thanks, I think it's tragic that such a beautiful model as the 250 GTO can be affected by this. I really wanted to get that model but out of the question now.

View Postoscar-alpha, on 11 September 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

My Kyosho BMW 750Li Individual Onyx Blue boot and Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4 Yellow front trunk and spoiler has this.
Its not Zinc pest though...I tried to wet sand it and polish it off but very minimal success.
I might end up having to repaint the BMW Individual's boot at this point.

Does using some kind of polishing wax improve the appearance at all?

View Posttonyg54, on 11 September 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

I wonder if we should put more of those silica gel packets in our storage areas or model boxes. I wonder if a 1:1 autobody guy would be able to diagnose the issue. Sorry to hear about the problem David, our worst collecting nightmare.

Thanks. Fairly sure damp isn't the problem, theres not a hint of it in that room.

View PostF355spiderMan, on 11 September 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Interesting, I haven't found any problems on my kyosho  models. Knock on wood.  Not something a collector wants to hear, it makes me worry about buying kyosho models now. Anyone know that just a little amount of moist that just sits inside the clam shell can cause this? I'm a member from another forum someone who bought a dehumidifier for their guns and ammo. It works good sucking all the moist out. http://www.walmart.c...difier/16326912  Had a photo of it where the water level was 1 inch high with just a few weeks. It's not recommended to keep a gun in the closed case it came with so it might be the same for clam shell car model. Take it out and let it breath every once in a while. Even though some of things are not displayed I check it from time to time.  Sorry to hear it happen on your favorite models.

They get an airing once every month or so, I've watched it get gradually worse over the last few months. I hope yours don't suffer the same fate!

View Postm_power, on 11 September 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

Sorry to see that. I'm baffled that kyosho hasn't addressed this issue.

Scumbags.

View Postmairandeddy, on 11 September 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

View Postspadge1976, on 11 September 2011 - 04:02 AM, said:

This is truly horrific Spadge..... :gaah:

I too have a lot invested in Kyoshos, and to be honest had thought them free of such defects......  :omg:

Like you I'm of the opinion that if you only get 5-10 years out of them before they begin to crumble/degenerate into something unrecognisable then I too am reconsidering if I really want to invest further........  :wavetowel2:

From what others are saying it isn't just the red models that are affected, but to be honest the bulk of my 43 Kyoshos are Fezzas....and red ones at that....

:bawling:

Well I think this is criminal, especailly given how much these things cost. I am going to take it up with Kyosho directly. If anyone has any other pictures of this  could they post it here, I will include it as evidence in my correspondence with Kyosho.

I will keep you updated but have a feeling it will be difficult dealing with them.
David

#10 OFFLINE   acisne

acisne

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,816 posts
  • Interests:Cars!
  • Favorite Brands:Anything that is has value for my money

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

Could it be that the chemical composition of the clam shell is reacting with the paint?  All my Kyoshos are displayed, have been since day one and none have paint issues.  :icon_scratch:

Where is it written that the more diecast $$$ equals a better diecast?

DiecastXchange Help, Tutorials, Guidelines, How to's, Facts and FAQ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of diecast shyster is for good collectors to do nothing" (Sorry Mr. Burke)

#11 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

That's what I thought initially, but one of them is in a window-style box, and the other two are in typical 1:43 packaging.

David

#12 OFFLINE   oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

@Spadge. Polishing and Waxing helped a little, BUT it was preceded by sanding. 1000-3000 grit wet sand.
Anyways, it helped from taking it too a not too bad level but overall, one can see close up that there are problems.
The problems seem to originate under the clear coat.
oscaralpha.com

#13 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

View Postoscar-alpha, on 12 September 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

@Spadge. Polishing and Waxing helped a little, BUT it was preceded by sanding. 1000-3000 grit wet sand.
Anyways, it helped from taking it too a not too bad level but overall, one can see close up that there are problems.
Is there any particular wax you would recommend, and what would you use to apply it, thanks.
David

#14 OFFLINE   diecastcarsgroup

diecastcarsgroup

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 318 posts
  • Favorite Brands:As long as it represents the car I want in a proper way.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

View Postacisne, on 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

Could it be that the chemical composition of the clam shell is reacting with the paint?  All my Kyoshos are displayed, have been since day one and none have paint issues.  :icon_scratch:

I doubt the styro clam shell has anything to do with it.  I have one Kyosho model kept in the styro for quite a long time and it has not developed any paint rashes.
I think this is really a case of craftsmanship by the folks who build them... if the surface is not clean enough before painting and it was "covered" with paint it will develop those rashes in time.
| JOJO BEE | AUTO-ART-&-PERFORMANCE | OTTO ART N PERFORMHANS | DIECASTCARSGROUP ® |

#15 OFFLINE   diecastnex

diecastnex

• Restricted
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Diecast 1:18 !
  • Favorite Brands:All 1:18 diecast
  • Proud Citizen of:my

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

Heard some cases like that also.. No choice, unless you re-spray again.
I got no money to buy the REAL car, only afford to buy DieCast ~

#16 OFFLINE   Phil Bell

Phil Bell

• DX Community
  • 99 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Biante/Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:sg

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

My Audi A8 in dark blue and a few others are also affected.Im disappointed to say the least.

#17 OFFLINE   guggga

guggga

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,486 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference.
  • Proud Citizen of:in

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:28 AM

This is indeed terrible, considering the premium Kyosho charges. Heck, my 10 year old UTs and Maistos are as good as they were when I bought them.

Is anyone experiencing this on the Kyosho Ferraris? I have a couple in storage and haven't seen them in a while now.
Isn't the BBR Enzo also developed by Kyosho? Heck! I have one of those too... I am dreading checking them now!!  :bawling:

#18 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

Yes, its happening on my Daytona
David

#19 OFFLINE   oscar-alpha

oscar-alpha

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

View Postspadge1976, on 13 September 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

View Postoscar-alpha, on 12 September 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

Is there any particular wax you would recommend, and what would you use to apply it, thanks.

Maguires (Wax and Polish) but I recommend Tamiya compound as well and heard 3M is good. Q-Tips does the trick.
oscaralpha.com

#20 OFFLINE   tonyg54

tonyg54

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Minichamps

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

Yikes, on the Daytona.. that is depressing...
I wonder if it is atmospheric salinity since you are on an island? Maybe Kyosho uses a water based paint instead of a lacquer and salts are able to more freely permeate the paint and attack the body or somehow reacts with the paint.

#21 OFFLINE   Thorst13

Thorst13

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, HWE.
  • Proud Citizen of:no

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

I checked out my Kyoshos and all seemed to be ok! The humidity is quite good for diecast here in Norway so that may help/slow down the process.

I would be quite pissed if my Kyoshos started to develop this condition.
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

Incedently my 30 year old Bburago Testarossa, my first ever 1/18, looks as good as new, so I don't think that paint deterioration is inevitable.

Dont know if i'd dare buy another Kyosho - I dont want them  to release the green Stratos anymore cos I would have to have it!

Edited by spadge1976, 15 September 2011 - 05:26 PM.

David

#23 OFFLINE   ozzibaz

ozzibaz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, Cars, Motor racing, Racing Games, Lego, Photography, Sci-Fi/Action/Animation movies/tv shows
  • Number of Models:about 140
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Biante, Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

I have a number of Kyoshos, some bought used, others bought new and none have the problem. However, I recently bought a 250 GTO which unknowingly to the buyer had the paint rash in various places all over the car, but most noticeably on a large section of the roof, and around the boot/trunk lid area. It wasn't obvious when looking at it from a few feet on a display shelf, but if you got it in your hand and held it under the light it was much more noticeable.

He had kept the car in the box since new and only taken it out for photographing, although it had been kept in storage for a few years as he had been renting and didn't have enough room to keep them there. Given where the seller lived I suspect that weather conditions - heat and humidity, may have accelerated the problem. Thankfully the seller was quite accepting of the problem and is refunding me to purchase price + postage.

This has put me off buying any more Kyoshos for now, even though I love their Ferraris and BMW M3s.

#24 OFFLINE   blue2fire

blue2fire

• DX Community
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Driving, Video Games, Collecting Interesting Crap
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

It happened to my Kyosho E46 M3 Cab but the rest of my older models strangely don't have it.

I ordered Silica Packets to put around the storage place due to this thread, thanks. I know it probably wont help too much but Kyosho themselves include them in a few models.

#25 OFFLINE   S40

S40

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,733 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

A lot of my Kyoshos have this issue as well as a few Norevs. It really sucks. This is not related to the way the car is stored, treated, or displayed etc. It's solely Kyosho's [crappy] job painting the model. It's because of this reason that it will be hard for me to choose a color on the upcoming Rolls Royce Ghost. I prefer a darker color like the dark gray or black, but if the model is going to have pitting issues, then it'll be better to get silver since it hides the issue better than dark colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use