Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,955 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 22 September 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

Well, as if this couldn't get any worse, whilst applying the Tamiya wax to the Daytona I managed to accidently take the photoetched 'F' of the Ferrari badge!
And on top of that, the finish hasn't improved. Fookin hell!

View Postspadge1976, on 22 September 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

Out of the question for me to be sanding and painting, I cant even apply wax without destroying a model  :bawling:

View Postspadge1976, on 22 September 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yeah used the Tamiya cloth on it first then applied the wax as per the instructions.
Just have to accept it now

Sh**t man, you're really having a bad time of it - I reckon you must have been pretty evil in a former life...  :rolleyes:

Otherwise mebbe the Karma is waiting to be restored by you buying the winning Lotto ticket....  :hope:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#52 OFFLINE   El Cheapo

El Cheapo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach. But not really.
  • Favorite Brands:Biante, Classic Carlectables
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'm not sure, and maybe someone else would be able to correct me on this. But are some of these Chinese-brand diecasts produced in the same plant as Kyosho? I've always thought so ever since the Chinese Cadillac CTS was adopted as a Kyosho, and since the cars share a lot of traits (dog-leg hinges and slightly iffy detail painting, etc). I also keep getting the idea that Norev may be produced at the same place too since a lot of these stores which sell Chinese diecasts also sell Norevs and Kyosho's.

If these thoughts are true, I imagine there's a chance these models may experiance the same problems over time  :bawling:
Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,509 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, and Elite.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

This is the reason why if I could choose between an Autoart and a Kyosho, I would always choose Autoart. For instance, I had a choice between the Kyosho Countach LP500 and the Autoart version - I chose the Autoart because I fear these paint rash issues developing on the Kyosho model in the future. I also feared picking up a brand new red 1/18 Kyosho Ferrari F40 last year for $95 because I knew sometime in the future, it'll develop this paint issue.

One of my most prized possession is the 1/18 Kyosho Nissan Z432 in orange (Japanese version of the 240Z) because it's impossible to find. Currently, the paint rash is mild - mostly only on the door panels and the engine bonnet. I hope none of my R8's will get this paint issue in the future. I have three Kyosho R8's - I only took the plunge because the R8 is one of my favorite cars of all time and I have faith in Kyosho that they figured out what's causing this issue and have rectified it.

Edited by mobius, 23 September 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts
  • Favorite Brands:I HATE KYOSHO

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

View Postmobius, on 23 September 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

This is the reason why if I could choose between an Autoart and a Kyosho, I would always choose Autoart. For instance, I had a choice between the Kyosho Countach LP500 and the Autoart version - I chose the Autoart because I fear these paint rash issues developing on the Kyosho model in the future. I also feared picking up a brand new red 1/18 Kyosho Ferrari F40 last year for $95 because I knew sometime in the future, it'll develop this paint issue.

One of my most prized possession is the 1/18 Kyosho Nissan Z432 in orange (Japanese version of the 240Z) because it's impossible to find. Currently, the paint rash is mild - mostly only on the door panels and the engine bonnet. I hope none of my R8's will get this paint issue in the future. I have three Kyosho R8's - I only took the plunge because the R8 is one of my favorite cars of all time and I have faith in Kyosho that they figured out what's causing this issue and have rectified it.

I wonder what the latest release to be affected by this is?. My LP500S is a 2009 release, it's the least affected of the four but I'm guessing thats because its the newest. So we know that everything 2009 backwards could be affected.
David

#55 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 23 September 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

View Postmobius, on 23 September 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

I wonder what the latest release to be affected by this is?. My LP500S is a 2009 release, it's the least affected of the four but I'm guessing thats because its the newest. So we know that everything 2009 backwards could be affected.

My thoughts were we wouldn't find out 'til perhaps 3-5 years from now because it seems like people are indicating the paint rashes don't start appearing until 3-5 years after the model was produced. I was going to ask if anyone has paint rashes on their Kyosho R8...but when I stopped to think about it, the R8 is such a new release, that we wouldn't know until later in the future. I don't mean to jinx anything, but if people are already starting to see paint rashes on their R8's, then perhaps I should just sell 3 of my 4 Kyosho R8's.

#56 OFFLINE   agvancouver

agvancouver

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts,Film photography
  • Favorite Brands:autoart, kyosho, norev, maisto, tamiya
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

i have a kyosho bmw 330i, with harsh paint rashes on the passenger side doors. my kyosho m6 DE and my miura fortunately do not have these problems.
i recently purchased the new 750Li from the same company, and hopefully it doesn't develop these problems. if i repaint the 330i, would that guarantee
making the rashes disappear for good and never come back ? i heard it's almost pointless to do that. then again, my miura is a few years old and the condition
is still pretty good and rash free. hope it stays that way.
View my photos!
www.redbubble.com/people/adriangeronimo

#57 OFFLINE   SchrodingersBox

SchrodingersBox

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 538 posts
  • Favorite Brands:MiniChamps, HPI, GMP

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

After skimming this thread I had to go peek at my very first diecast purchase in decades... which was last November. My red Lambo Jota SVR is totally fine, out of the box for about 10 months now.

:hope:

#58 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

Has Kyosho had any ideas as to why this is happening? The material clamshells are made off dose give off vapour over time could this be the cause? Off the images shown it still looks like improper preparation off the surface of the model before painting to me its not zinc pest for sure but I don't understand why it seams to effect red colours mainly. Out of the Kyoshos I have; none have any problems as of yet, but I do polish mine with a good quality car polish (Autoglym Diamond finish) could this be the reason why? I'm sorry that I have more questions than answers but are Kyosho taking any notice or are they totally ignoring the situation? I have asked other collectors and none seam to be effected so could it be due to climet? Or is it handling that cuases it? As I have said more questions than answers!
Steve

#59 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:46 AM

View PostSuper Snail, on 10 October 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

Has Kyosho had any ideas as to why this is happening? The material clamshells are made off dose give off vapour over time could this be the cause? Off the images shown it still looks like improper preparation off the surface of the model before painting to me its not zinc pest for sure but I don't understand why it seams to effect red colours mainly. Out of the Kyoshos I have; none have any problems as of yet, but I do polish mine with a good quality car polish (Autoglym Diamond finish) could this be the reason why? I'm sorry that I have more questions than answers but are Kyosho taking any notice or are they totally ignoring the situation? I have asked other collectors and none seam to be effected so could it be due to climet? Or is it handling that cuases it? As I have said more questions than answers!
Its not the clamshell box as three of mine that are affected aren't in clamshell boxes.
Kyosho have, unsurprisingly, yet to respond to my communication!
David

#60 OFFLINE   joeyo387

joeyo387

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Number of Models:30
  • Favorite Brands:...

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

I checked last night and my beloved 250 GTO has is on the roof and trunk, although it is still so fine that you need the right light to see it. I still haven't checked my other Ferraris because I'm afraid of what I'll find...

Thanks for taking this up with Kyosho Spadge, I hope they do the right thing and address the issue...
A focused or planned collection can tell a story, while a random collection talks mostly about the collector. Neither is better than the other, it's personal choice - Woobs
Posted Image
My Fastest Cars in History collection and my BMW Motorsport collection.

#61 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Postjoeyo387, on 11 October 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

I checked last night and my beloved 250 GTO has is on the roof and trunk, although it is still so fine that you need the right light to see it. I still haven't checked my other Ferraris because I'm afraid of what I'll find...

Thanks for taking this up with Kyosho Spadge, I hope they do the right thing and address the issue...
I don't  know what we could expect them to do even if they do acknowledge it cos they aint gonna give us refunds or replace the models.
Awful to hear about the 250 GTO, one of, if not the best model ever in that price range and it must be sickening to watch it deteriorate. I had planned on picking that up one day but it's out of the question now.
I just hope to keep this topic alive and warn people about Kyosho.
David

#62 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 11 October 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

I just hope to keep this topic alive and warn people about Kyosho.

I must say that when I started to 'invest' in them (as a 'superior' brand') I thought that I would probably get the better part of my money back if I run into dire straits, but now I daren't even look as I fear i've wasted my money - and my financial safety net!!!  :bawling:

It is just truly depressing Spadge, has it affected ALL your Kyos then?   :icon_scratch:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well I only have four Kyosho's but, yes, all are affected.
David

#64 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,955 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

100% - That's a real bummer Spadge..........I have FORTY-FOUR!!!  :bawling:  :bawling:  :bawling: :gaah: :mad2:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   Super Snail

Super Snail

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Interests:Sportscars, Prototype racers, Motorcycles, Cobra's, GT40's, Porsche
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Sorry to say I don't think that this is a wise hobby to "invest" in. It's begining not to be such an enjoyable hobby as it once was either. I don't have that many Kyosho models to start with a few Daytona's a GTO and Audi R8 but most seam to be Red luckily none so far are showing any signs of problems not that it's good news to those that have problems. I have always accepted that there was a chance of obtaining a model that will at some time get zinc pest and hopefully I have got the "one" already a CMC Mercedes 196R but I was not expeting to have paint issues with any of them. I really feel for those that have problems we seam to be being attacked for all quaters what with constant price increases; I don't think that this will be helping any of us.
Steve

#66 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

View Postmairandeddy, on 11 October 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

100% - That's a real bummer Spadge..........I have FORTY-FOUR!!!  :bawling:  :bawling:  :bawling: :gaah: :mad2:
If I was in your position and the models are in tip top condition at the moment I'd be putting the bulk of that lot on Ebay, because it might not happen this year, or next year, but sure enough at some point I'm sure it's going to happen.

And imagine how you'd feel then!
David

#67 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,955 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 12 October 2011 - 05:37 AM, said:

View Postmairandeddy, on 11 October 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

If I was in your position and the models are in tip top condition at the moment I'd be putting the bulk of that lot on Ebay, because it might not happen this year, or next year, but sure enough at some point I'm sure it's going to happen.

And imagine how you'd feel then!

I have been seriously considering going down this route, certainly with some of the rarer ones, while the value is high - the only thing is i feel guilty at the thought of passing this legacy on to someone else......

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   agvancouver

agvancouver

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts,Film photography
  • Favorite Brands:autoart, kyosho, norev, maisto, tamiya

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

my norev targa 3.3L is starting to develop that problem too, on the passenger side door.
View my photos!
www.redbubble.com/people/adriangeronimo

#69 OFFLINE   SimonV8

SimonV8

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Scale "detailed" models, and REAL muscle cars. Im also a mechanic.
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

It does sound like the bottom is falling out of the diecast section now, with Kyosho paint deterioration, UT's melting wheels, AUTOart prices going through the roof, GMP going out of business, whats left? Budget or REAL high end models.... and i certainly can't afford to buy CMC or such... oh well, any real problems with minichamps? My wife asked me to think of a Christmas gift she could get me, on my wish list, the top of it is the Queens Bentley, but at that high cost is that going to deteriorate too?

#70 OFFLINE   spadge1976

spadge1976

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Sadly Minichamps has been mentioned as being affected in the 'BBR blistering paint' thread.
David

#71 OFFLINE   Kaiser Technica

Kaiser Technica

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 590 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Autoart (but they hurt me so), Maisto, Minichamps, R.I.P. UT Models

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

This irritates the hell out of me, considering that I can take a Maisto from 10 years ago and keep it looking like new on a shelf, whereas buying a BBR Enzo leaves me with a $300-400 hole in my pocket for something that is literally wearing down at an unacceptable rate. I have an old Maisto TT Roadster on a shelf that has a superior finish to my Kyosho "High End" F40. That's just not right. The lack of assurance to getting something proper for the money is killing my enthusiasm for the hobby. It would've been easier had I been able to inspect what I wanted to buy in-person before spending my money, despite how some vendors dislike that practice, but with no B&M sellers in my area I have no choice but to submit to the mercy of web orders.

This may be another reason to just keep sticking to 1:43 cars. There there's at least more brands to choose from, and while I'd be missing out on a lot of detail, it seems that I'd be missing out on the heartache of having a very expensive model get a very poor finish, for the most part.

Edited by Kaiser Technica, 13 October 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   Vanished

Vanished

• DX Community
  • 52 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

View Postspadge1976, on 11 September 2011 - 04:02 AM, said:

I have four red Kyosho models, and this is happening on all of them:

Attachment 299262_10150369353040272_673400271_10367765_174767436_n.jpg

You can see what is happening on the spoiler where the light is shining. The paint is starting to develop the texture of very, very fine sandpaper.

I first noticed this on one of the models about six months ago, a tiny little bit on just one of them, but now it literally covers all four models.

I don't display any of these models, they are stored in a wardrobe, in their original packaging, 100% of the time.  One of the boxes is the clamshell type, the model is still covered with the tissue paper it came with. None of them are over 5 years old. The climate here is very moderate, and not a hint of damp in the room.
None of my other models show signs of this - AUTOart, Minichamps, Spark, BBurago - all stored in the same place as the Kyoshos.

I am utterly horrified with this and it has put me off collecting all together, especially as these are my favourite models.

Listen everyone. the problem is humidity or dry air in the room. the paint deteriorates. i had the same problem with my lime green mustang and it was destroyed. BUT i ve found the solution. Go and get meguiars NXT WAX 2.0 , meguiars ultimate compound and meguiars scratch X and a microfibre towel. you need to wax your car every 2-4 months to keep the paint wet-like and shiny and it preserves the car from humidity and heat or dry environment. you can also repair tour miura with the scratch x or ultimate compound. it will be LIKE NEW and mirror shiny. i do the same with my cars and they re PERFECT. trust me on this one you wont regret it.

Edited by Vanished, 26 October 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   Monster

Monster

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

But the problem is the paint on my UT Mclaren F1 is still in mint condition even after 15 years, same with my Bburago and Miasto. Sure humidity and temperature do play a part but still if these 3 companies managed to solve the paint issue, why can't the rest do the same?

#74 OFFLINE   mobius

mobius

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostMonster, on 27 October 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

But the problem is the paint on my UT Mclaren F1 is still in mint condition even after 15 years, same with my Bburago and Miasto. Sure humidity and temperature do play a part but still if these 3 companies managed to solve the paint issue, why can't the rest do the same?

I totally agree with you here. If the UT doesn't require wax and polish to keep it in good shape, while the Kyosho would get "damaged" if you forgot to wax/polish it in 2 months, then all it boils down to is, "there's a problem". As much as I love my diecasts, I don't have time to wax, buff, and polish every model. I mean, if I get a new paint job on my real car, and then 3 months later the paint starts flaking off, a logical person would bring it back to the paint shop and say to the paint shop "what's the problem??"

#75 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostMonster, on 27 October 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

On Autoart and Kyosho models there is thin coat of paint.. On Bburago and Maisto is a little bit more paint :D
And yeah.. My Lamborghini Diablo Maisto have a lot of those paint defection ;)

Edited by audirs6, 28 October 2011 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use