DiecastXchange Forum banner

1/18 BMW M3 CSL KYOSHO vs. AUTOART

22K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  ferrariforever 
#1 ·
KYOSHO AUTOART

See less See more
#2 ·
You have the same pair as me. I just wish the Kyosho had a better front wheel offset, easily rectified though. Interior wise, the AUTOart is better.

#7 ·
I think the Kyosho looks better, and it has a lot to do witht the wheels/tires. Nice comparo.

#8 ·
Awesome comparo. I'm primarily a bmw m car collector, and both are great pieces! I do prefer the kyosho however as they made the e46 m3 in carbon black (my 1:1) and I don't recall Autoart ever making a dealer version (my absolute fav is the D.E. kyosho alpine white e92 m3).

#9 ·
AUTOart did your car in Black too. You're right AUTOart never made a dealer version. I had the Alpine white car, sold now.

G
#12 · (Edited)
Great comparison. I scored the Kyosho years ago at Costco for $59 or $69 I forget. I'd take whatever I could my hands on today. Based on the photos above I'd take the Kyosho over the AUTOart, the wheel and rubber appear to be more accurate and realistic in execution. That goes along way for me as my models are on display.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Really don't know what csl to go for :/
I love the wheel detail on the kyosho, but the off set front rims are a big turn off for me and I'd be too scared to try and fix it.
The more I look at the pics the more I'm leaning towards the kyosho.
Just have to find one now lol.

Also: is it just me, or do the wheels on the kyosho look more like 20inch??
They are deffo bigger than the AUTOart

#16 ·
I remember this model comparison at the time they were released.
It was the ultimate rivals from Kyosho and Autoart.
It is funny that two manufacturers release the exact same model at the same time, but as it seems today, there is still demand for these even thought so many were out there.

Sad that today, Kyosho is not alive as it used to be.

#18 ·
I think the Kyosho version is a much better representation of the 1:1. I would pull the trigger on it and not look back. My only concern was trying to pry the center cap up without scratching it all to hell. I still haven't fixed mine but am much happier with it from an exterior standpoint...flawed offset and all. I used to own both.

#21 ·
I agree, they seem to get messed up on the real cars though, my mate was after one, he looked at loads with knackered wheels, apparently they are hard to refurb.
I always fancied one on 19's in Techno Violet, that would do me!

#22 ·
Techno violet?? Is that an individual colour??
The only reason why I've never bought a 1:18 E46 is because of the wheels :(
Ahh the 1:1 M3 is a troublesome car. Practically everyone who I know who've owned one has had major problems with them.
My sisters friend has spent 7k repairing his the past month.
They are still amazing machines though. I'd love one. Estoril blue conv with cinnamon Dakota leather ;)

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
^^ Yes, Techno violet is an individual color for the e46 m3; not so with the e36 m3 (factory color).

From what I've read, swapping the wheels of a Kyosho 1:18 e46 m3 isn't too bad. It's just removing the wheel's center emblem, and behind it is a screw that needs to be removed. One of my projects for 2012 is purchasing csl rims from mrm and replacing the wheels. I just need to decide if I should leave the csl black or to paint them silver. (My painting is hideous, so I might just have to purchase a Kyosho m3 convert w/ silver csl's on ebay and swap the wheels that way.) What do you guys think? In the vid below, at the 1:03 marker, you can see the e46 m3 w/ silver csl's.

http://www.diecastcu...m/The_Shop.html

And you think picking 1:18 wheels are bad? I had to make a decision for my 1:1 last month! I think the csl's are a timeless, elegant design for the m3, but in the bimmer world - they are also a very common design. Everybody and their grandma driving a 3 series has them. Me being one to go against the grain, I chose something a bit unorthodox. I ultimately chose 18" bbs wheels that came originally on a 2008 e92 m3. I think they look sinister, but perhaps someday I'll get a 2nd set of 19" csl's.

Btw, any 1:1 european high performance car will need more maintenance than your average toyota corolla. In my experience, as long as the scheduled maintenance listed on the owner's manual are done, yearly maintenance costs for the e46 m3 are around ~$2k. Of course, one should always be prepared to dish out $$$ for any unexpected failures.

And I'm in agreement with you RSFocus, my all time ultimate color for the m3 would be an estoril blue 6spd.

http://forum.e46fana...ghlight=estoril

Sorry for being off topic op & the long winded post guys, as you can tell, I'm quite passionate about this subject! lol

#24 ·
I really don't like that violet colour. Lol
Suppose it would be ok if your name was 'prince' lol.

Those E92 rims look great on your M3 mate :)
There's a few E46 3 series round by me that have the M6 wheels. They too go really well with the car.
My choice if I were to ever change the standard 19inch wheels would be a set of bbs ch rims. Very nice :)

#25 ·
Techno Violet is ace, sometimes it look really bright, other times not so (maybe they did a darker purple though)

juju - Yep your M3 looks nice on the E92 wheels, I've not seen that done before. Nice BMW collection too.

#29 ·
really nice model you have!good one to have both difference brand,but for me i'm still like the E92 M3 more :D

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
First of all, I apologize for raising this thread from the dead, but there are a few details that most seem to have omitted regarding the accuracy of this model, tipping the scale in AUTOart's favor. Don't get me wrong, I am not, by any means, an AUTOart fanboy (I have both the Kyo and the AUTOart models), but I thought these would be worth mentioning...

- in the first picture (of the real car) you can clearily see the tow hook cover, that Kyosho didn't bother reproducing (same stands for the rear one)
- Kyosho, also, doesn't believe in rear window defogging, although the real car has it...
- Third and forth, the front fenders' indentantions (I don't know the correct term in English) start right after the headlight cut, something Kyosho missed; also, as the 1:1 photo depicts, the wheels' centerhub caps emblems are, actually, flat and not bulging

Attachments

#31 ·
i think indentation is the right term. i can't think of a word myself to describe that any better. maybe aero design or something like that but indentation is applicable here. anyway, they are both great cars from each company, but for some reason, even though im satisfied with settling for AUTOart version, the Kyosho version just seems to have a certain presence.

#33 ·
I think sometimes AutoArt gets wheel offsets wrong, which can totally spoil the look of the car, I have had this with a couple Skyline R34's I have. However looking at the pictures the kyo seems to be showing too much rubber, I mean the tyre profile seems to high, where as the AutoArt looks just right. Don't know if anyone else has similar or different views, but its strange how a model can be spot on but if the wheel offset or tyre profile is out, it really affects the whole look of the car.

#34 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, sorry to dig up this old thread, but I think the info presented here are really useful! Especially the "mistakes" of Kyosho presented by Xenomorph.
I was about to pull the trigger to buy a local second hand Kyosho M3 CSL silver for 100 euro without box before I see this thread.

My question is, shall I not buy that Kyosho one, and go for the AUTOart one considering the following points? Many thanks!!

"- in the first picture (of the real car) you can clearily see the tow hook cover, that Kyosho didn't bother reproducing (same stands for the rear one)
- Kyosho, also, doesn't believe in rear window defogging, although the real car has it...
- Third and forth, the front fenders' indentantions (I don't know the correct term in English) start right after the headlight cut, something Kyosho missed; also, as the 1:1 photo depicts, the wheels' centerhub caps emblems are, actually, flat and not bulging"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.