DiecastXchange Forum banner

Fixing my IKEA Bertbys....All full now - again....AGAIN!

27K views 118 replies 24 participants last post by  Boy from Ozz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can anyone help me here? I've got three Bertbys that I got second hand, with no wall fittings or instructions.
I kinda figured out that I would fix a batten to the wall to support the bottom of the unit, then probably do some brackets for the top....

However it has been suggested that if they're not properly attached then they may fall off the wall....

Does anyone have either the original instructions that they could scan for me, or details of how they've fitted there own (SECURELY!!) to the wall that they could share with me?

Please somebody, my B's are currently resting on the floor!! so I can't open the doors or display anything yet!!

I'm counting on you!

See less See more
G
#2 · (Edited)
Eddy it's quite simply actually. Photo #1 will show you the supplied brace for the bottom. What you don't see are two pins that the cabinet rest in so it doesn't move and is securely in place. Not sure how homes are fabricated where you live but here in Canada homes are framed with 2x4 - 16 inches on centre. One screw is secured in the stud and the other I had to use a toggle bolt.

Photo #2 - Top is a simple bracket that I secured to the stud as well with a few screws. That's it, simple as 123...

PS - Sorry for the poor iPhone pics. Also image of toggle bolt below:

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your speedy response Davide.....it really is simple then!

I'd kinda figured out something similar but didn't think it would be secure enough but your pics are reassuring! My walls are breeze block so there shouldn't be a problem...

I'll get straight to it then!

#5 ·
#7 ·
Glad you got the online instructions Eddy. BTW, is there a way that you could measure the side and top/bottom pieces and post the measurements. I think that with the instructions on the Ikea site, someone could make them or have them made and use a Billy door on it to have a homemade Birtby.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't have the technical ability to draw a pic Al, but here are the dimensions...

External dimensions of the assembled back box are Height 162cm x Width 33cm x Depth 17cm

The contiboard used for the sides and top and bottom panels is 12mm, so the internal dimensions should this into account.

As the side panels overlap the top and bottom panels, the critical dimensions are the end panels, being Width 30.6cm x Depth 17cm (sides are H 162 x D 17cm)...

However if you are thinking of using the Billy doors, then I would suggest you measure the size of the clear window and make the internal dimensions of the box the same or slightly larger...

PS Just a thought - as the internal dimensions of the Bertby are approx 30cm x 150cm, this is a nice fit to use 30x30cm mirrors (12in square) - so I intend to use 5 of these stuck to the back panel so I have a mirrored cabinet....that's the theory anyways!!

will post pics once done anyway!

Hope this helps

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
...strictly secondary mrm.....

and the trouble is shipping is always a problem......I drove 500 miles round trip to collect mine...
so although I got them for a good price £40 for 2 of them, it cost me £50 to collect them as seller would not ship........so i ended up paying near to the original new price

#14 ·
Thanks [K], I owe you one!

Tomorrow I have to figure out how to do my final (rather sadder) Bertie.....I've been 'allocated' a corner in the downstairs living room (by the boss!!) ....HOWEVER....only if I set it into the corner of the room!!
I'm going to take your principles and build myself a corner bracket(s)....well that's the plan anyway!!

I'll keep you informed as to how I get on!!

#16 ·
Thanks Al!
However I've got a way to go to catch you up 'Billy Boy'!

#18 ·
If it's straight-forward wall Blitz, and you have the fittings that come with the unit then it is literally four screw holes in the wall - i'm sure your landlord would give you permission to do that - but I would ask them first.....

HOWEVER, I have heard of people fixing legs to the underside of the FRONT edge of the unit - the type that come with kitchen base units are perfect as they are adjustable so you can adjust for any and you can check periodically and take up any slack.... These take ALL the weight as the unit leans against the wall and then only use ONE screw at the top - which would of course only leave one screw hole to fill...

The only problem with this is that it is vulnerable to anything bumping against the legs - vacuum, kids kicking etc...
though I suppose if you used the kitchen unit legs then (if you have wooden floors) you could put a screw through the foot at the base...
that should hold everything secure!

I have also heard about people not fixing to the wall at all and stacking the unit up on books........
Noooooooo!!!

#20 ·
They look great Eddy. So that's about 12 cars per Bertby?
Or can you fit more if you decrease the space between shelves and add more shelves?
I haven't seen one in life filled with 1:18, don't know how much space is available between them.
Thanks for your compliments Sven
I've actually put 2 extra shelves in each, increasing capacity from the stock 10 to 12 spaces....you can do this using the standard machined holes....

I took the extra shelves from my third Bertby (that I haven't shown pic of as it needs a lot of work!!) that is destined for a different room, and so I will be just using the remaining 5 shelves (making 6 diecast display places) and putting some 'regular' wooden shelves in the bottom for DVD storage.... etc..(that 's the compromise that got me the permission to put one in the living room!!!
)

HOWEVER, I've seen pix somewhere on DX where a collector (cant remember who...???) has drilled extra holes and fitted 14 shelves allowing him to display 15 cars, but he only displayed F1 cars, that are a lot lower than regular models....
Personally I think 12 is the most i would like to fit because otherwise it is difficult to get your hands in to handle the model securely...

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a pic of that aforementioned third (and rather sad looking..
) Bertby standing in the corner that i've been allocated! You can see the brackets that i've put on the wall.

Just the same principle as the conventional fittings really, the bottom bracket is set so that the rear of the Bertby sits comfortably onto it to take the weight, and the top bracket is level with the back of the top of the unit so that a simple flat plate can be screwed across the two to hold it in place vertically....

They are actually 30mm square timber with ends cut at 45 degrees to fit into the corner and secured to the wall with 75mm screws, They may look a bit flimsy but to test them I stood on the bottom one and it didn't budge! I can't see old Bertie -even with contents - weighing in at 15st, so I can sleep easy at night!

Property Product Wood Building Interior design

...and here's what i've done to spruce the Bertby up a bit....

Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Tableware

In case you're wondering about the state of the back, I've got 4x 12inch mirror tiles to go in there yet....

..will let you know how things progress...

Attachments

#27 ·
The Clerk of Works is just inspecting the progress.....I hope she's not too dogmatic...

Dog Carnivore Wood Interior design Floor

Nearly there............

Attachments

#28 ·
looking good champ...can't wait for the completedand loaded up wit cars pics

mirrors on the back do make all the difference IMO...that and LED strip lighting if the budget streeetches that far

I have a load of square mirror tiles from a remodelled bathroom for my cabinet...luckily then scored a full mirror I had to cut down so still have the tiles for another project

sure is hard getting the other halfs blessing to allowing cars in the lounge...took me an age to wangle a deal

#29 ·
Glad U like rotormotor!
And here is the job complete - blending in quite well behind the other living room ecoutrements......

Furniture Dog Window Comfort Wood

Just gotta add some models and DVDs now!!
......the big decision is which ones???

The strip LEDs are certainly a consideration for the pair upstairs, but the mirrored one already has a lamp in the top....i'll just be careful not to put my chocolate models on the top shelf!!

Attachments

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers [K]!
I am (quietly) quite pleased with the way it's turned out too...

Will post final pics once I've decided which models to put in them all now!

#42 ·
Thanx BfO!
I'll nip out and get some forthwith !

[/quote]

Well I've just fitted some draught excluder all around the edge of the unit and guess what....

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

....The bl**dy doors won't close!!

The silly little magnetic closers won't hold the doors shut now......so I've just ordered some heavy duty 8kg+ pull ones!!

Mind you with it being bank holiday they won't arrive for a few days now!!

Attachments

#54 ·
Actually Al, I don't think they do the full length clear glass Billy doors any more....
I got fired up about installing a Billy I can't seem to find the full length glass doors (like you have) on IKEA UK or USA...they just have the 'OLSBO' doors that have glass top and bottom but a partition crossbar half way up....not so good!!! The only full length glass doors now seem to be the Morebo....
Could you check for me in case i'm missing something????

#55 · (Edited by Moderator)
At last, after much racking of my brains to decide whch models to display, I've got round to stocking up the Berties and snapping some pics!

Please note with my lousy photographic skills, taking pics in the bright sunlight was a nightmare....so sorry in advance for the duff exposures and reflections....

So here we go....starting with the easy one in the corner of the living room.....

Furniture Shelf Shelving Interior design Yellow

and a couple closer up...

Car Vehicle Window Wheel Automotive lighting

Wheel Car Vehicle Shelf Automotive design

Jadi 1996 Lotus Elise Type 49
Sunstar 2004 TVR Tuscan Mk2
CMC 1961 Ferrari 250GT SWB
Kyosho 1966 Lamborghini Miura P400
Autoart 1982 Lamborghini Countach 5000S

.....i hope they meet with your approval.......

....coming up next..... the other two!!!

Attachments

#56 · (Edited by Moderator)
All done!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive design Car

And just in case you can't make them out here are some close ups (please forgive the flash!
).....

Autoart 1997 Panoz Esperante GTR-1
Ertl Authentics 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
Exoto 1967 Ford GT40 MkIV Silverstone Blue
AUTOart 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting

Ricko 1952 Mercedes 300SL W194 #4 Carrera Panamericana
Autoart 2003 Mazda MX-8
Exoto 1966 Ford GT40 MkII LeMans #5 Bucknam/Hutcherson
Autoart 1984 Mercedes 190E 2.5 #11 Senna
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire

Exoto 1979 Ferrari 312T4 Jody Scheckter
Autoart 1965 Aston Martin DB5 James Bond 007
Kyosho 1971 Ferrari 365 Daytona
Kyosho 2001 BMW Z8 Convertible
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Autoart 1959 Corvette Stingray Concept Elvis Presley
Kyosho 1971 Lamborghini Miura Jota
GMP 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 #6 Stewart/Amon
Exoto 1965 Ford GT40 MkIV Shelby Prototype
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

Kyosho 1975 Ferrari 308 GTB Paris Debut
UT 1997 Porsche 911 GT1
Exoto 1967 Ford GT40 MkIV Catalunya Splash
GMP 1967 Ford Fairlane GT Convertible
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Autoart 1964 Jaguar D-Type Short Nose LeMans #92
Exoto 1967 Ford GT40 MkII Suzuka Sun
Kyosho 2004 Ferrari 575 GTC
Beanstalk 2005 Ford GT Concept
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Motor vehicle

So that's it for now!!

I hope you enjoyed my selection - let me know what you think!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.