Jump to content


Another Otto M5 with Problems


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hey guys,

Sad to say that I just received my M5 today and it too has problems. Its driver's seat was installed wrong (seat cushion is vertical, seat back is horizontal on the floor), its gear lever is not attached, its rear view mirror has come off, and its handbrake is not attached. Thankfully all those parts are in the car.

Can anyone help me with instructions on how to disassemble the car to fix these problems? I see the two screws on the bottom but I was wondering whether it would be easy for me to disassemble the model and fix it myself. Is it hard for a novice?

I just keep telling myself that it can be fixed and that it could be a lot worse.

Thanks in advance guys.

Attached Files


Edited by GTR-G35, 18 June 2012 - 03:49 PM.


Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   supercars

supercars

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Diecasts and Cars
  • Favorite Brands:UT, Welly, Autoart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:au

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sorry, I don't have the model so not sure how to help you. Have you checked all the screws, sometimes they are hidden? But just want to say I find it unbelievable that someone could install the seat wrongly.  :rolleyes:  :giggle:  I thought it was missing a headrest at first. I wonder what happened when this model went into production. Perfect M5's must be few and far between.

Good luck with the fix.
Posted Image

#3 ONLINE   m_power

m_power

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,185 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:European and Japanese cars, Women, Top Gear, Food, Photography, Watches
  • Favorite Brands:MR
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Sorry man..but welcome to the club  :occasion14:  I will be your guide.

You should check to see if you have loose windows. I had all the same parts thrown around inside the car and pushed out the windows. Luckily for you the car wasn't completed broken in half like another member. You should contact Otto and work something out. I was at least able to get some money back.

#4 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postm_power, on 18 June 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

Sorry man..but welcome to the club  :occasion14:  I will be your guide.

You should check to see if you have loose windows. I had all the same parts thrown around inside the car and pushed out the windows. Luckily for you the car wasn't completed broken in half like another member. You should contact Otto and work something out. I was at least able to get some money back.

Luckily the windows seem to be ok. I wish I could contact Otto, but I did not buy the model from them. Isnt it true that if you didn't buy it directly from them they won't really help you?

By the way I saw your thread about your M5. That really sucks man. Have you fixed it? Was it difficult?

Thanks again!

Edited by GTR-G35, 18 June 2012 - 06:04 PM.


#5 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, BBR, Auto Art and many more.
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

I had received mine and there was fingerprints INSIDE the glass?? It was easy to open up. Remove the screws underneath and the bottom comes off. You then remove the interior part. It is very similar to a model car. If you have done that, you can repair your M5.

Good luck  :occasion14:
Gilles

#6 ONLINE   m_power

m_power

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,185 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:European and Japanese cars, Women, Top Gear, Food, Photography, Watches
  • Favorite Brands:MR
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostGTR-G35, on 18 June 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

View Postm_power, on 18 June 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

Sorry man..but welcome to the club  :occasion14:  I will be your guide.

You should check to see if you have loose windows. I had all the same parts thrown around inside the car and pushed out the windows. Luckily for you the car wasn't completed broken in half like another member. You should contact Otto and work something out. I was at least able to get some money back.

Luckily the windows seem to be ok. I wish I could contact Otto, but I did not buy the model from them. Isnt it true that if you didn't buy it directly from them they won't really help you?

By the way I saw your thread about your M5. That really sucks man. Have you fixed it? Was it difficult?

Thanks again!

I haven't fixed mine yet..it's just packed away since I don't have space to display but it looks pretty easy unscrewing the base from the bottom to get inside the car.

#7 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just disassembled the car. It was very easy and it should be fine soon. Tomorrow I'll reattach the parts and assemble it again. I will make sure to take pics afterwards. Thanks guys!

#8 OFFLINE   ayaxr

ayaxr

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Panama City, Panama
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, AUTOart, Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:pa

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

It is beyond me how someone can glue the seat in the wrong position..... You should take a picture of it disassembled so the full extent of that crime can be documented... damn...just damn..  
At least good to hear that you can fix it and everything will be alright. Kudos to you on that.

I had always admired the E39 M5, now owning an E60 5 series you quickly fall in love with BMWs ;)....  I would certainly consider this if it was made in diecast.

#9 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Thankfully the seat wasn't actually glued on at all, it was actually just sitting there. All I'll need to do is flip it on the correct side and glue it on. I'll take pics showing how it was and how it looks after it's done.

It's beyond me how Otto could drop the ball like this. It's such a shame because the model looks so beautiful. Oh well, it could have been much, much worse.

#10 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

    Administrator

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,041 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ GT Spirit/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

The QC problems on these make me laugh, that seat is hilarious!! (sorry to those who have these models)

I did see their 'QC release/explanation' but even so, no way these should have been allowed out, most of them are shit. I also saddens me that a lot of re-sellers are asking a lot of money for these!

Posted Image



Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE


#11 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3,066 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ljubljana
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of:si

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Is this seat glued like that or?

#12 OFFLINE   KevinZA

KevinZA

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cape Town
  • Favorite Brands:UT
  • Proud Citizen of:za

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

Did you buy direct from OTTO ? If you just received it, it's out of sync with the other deliveries of this vehicle considering when it was 'released'.

Sorry to hear about your problems. My 1, direct from OTTO was flawless.

#13 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

    Senior Member

  • DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9,008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbus, OH...GO BUCKS!
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

That is nuts...how does it leave the factory like that?

Glad you were able to fix it...& even more glad that I got one without issues.   :lol:

Posted Image


#14 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

    Member

  • DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

View Postsupercars, on 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Sorry, I don't have the model so not sure how to help you. Have you checked all the screws, sometimes they are hidden? But just want to say I find it unbelievable that someone could install the seat wrongly.  :rolleyes:  :giggle:  I thought it was missing a headrest at first. I wonder what happened when this model went into production. Perfect M5's must be few and far between.

Good luck with the fix.
I will guess about 50% had a flaw? Seems like most of the people the got two models, had one with a flaw

#15 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Just finished fixing her up. Here's some pics.


Attached File  Optimized-P6192737.JPG   71.85K   22 downloads

This is how it looked at first. The seat was not glued to anything.
Attached File  Optimized-P6192738.JPG   66.47K   9 downloads

After I fixed the seat:
Attached File  Optimized-P6192740.JPG   62.91K   6 downloads

After I attached the shifter and handbrake:
Attached File  Optimized-P6192741.JPG   65.67K   6 downloads

End result:
Attached File  Optimized-IMG_0630.JPG   69.86K   6 downloads

Attached File  Optimized-IMG_0631.JPG   73.34K   6 downloads

Attached File  Optimized-IMG_0632.JPG   75.62K   6 downloads

#16 OFFLINE   DC4ME

DC4ME

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, BBR, Auto Art and many more.
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

See, told you it was not so bad to open it up!
Gilles

#17 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostDC4ME, on 19 June 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

See, told you it was not so bad to open it up!

It was really easy. I was just nervous because I love the car so much and did not want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys!

#18 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

    Senior Member

  • DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6,036 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostGTR-G35, on 19 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostDC4ME, on 19 June 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

See, told you it was not so bad to open it up!

It was really easy. I was just nervous because I love the car so much and did not want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad you were able to find some help here at DX! Sorry about the Otto model... like what was mentioned above, the QC issues do seem to be pretty common. Do you have any other Ottos in your collection?

#19 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostBiblitect, on 19 June 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostGTR-G35, on 19 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostDC4ME, on 19 June 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

See, told you it was not so bad to open it up!

It was really easy. I was just nervous because I love the car so much and did not want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad you were able to find some help here at DX! Sorry about the Otto model... like what was mentioned above, the QC issues do seem to be pretty common. Do you have any other Ottos in your collection?

Not at the moment but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get one if it was a car I really lusted after. Hopefully the M5 was just a blip and all their new cars will have better quality control. Other than the issues I had, the model turned out pretty well. Just glad the issues weren't as bad as for other members on DX (like m_power). No missing parts and nothing that couldn't be salvaged.

#20 OFFLINE   VeeDub Matt

VeeDub Matt

    Senior Member

  • DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 6,036 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia
  • Interests:Theology, motoring, and art
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, HPI, Bizarre, and Premium ClassiXXs
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostGTR-G35, on 19 June 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Not at the moment but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get one if it was a car I really lusted after. Hopefully the M5 was just a blip and all their new cars will have better quality control. Other than the issues I had, the model turned out pretty well. Just glad the issues weren't as bad as for other members on DX (like m_power). No missing parts and nothing that couldn't be salvaged.

Otto's offerings have always interested me... they've produced some cars that other die-cast maufacturers haven't gotten around to making yet. I've always enjoyed looking at their VW/Audi lineup.

#21 OFFLINE   GTR-G35

GTR-G35

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 21 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of:us

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Just saw something I never saw before. My passenger side front window appears to be loose. It's just starting to separate a bit on one edge. I'll take pics tomorrow to show it better. It's not a huge deal but I really don't want it to break. Anything I can do? I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use