DiecastXchange Forum banner

Playing around with Slow Shutter! (Light Painting) *updated tutorial*

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  iluda1551 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
One fine day I got bored so started to do some slow shutter shoooting for my diecast models using those "light trails" technique.
Here are the gears I used : -

-Canon EOS 1000D with standard kit lens
-Tripod
-Torch light
- Black mounting board
- lucky 1/18 diecast models.

Post-processed software used :

Ps

Tutorial;

1. I started using F14 with a shutter of 10-6 sec's. You start off by trying a smaller aperture, say 3.5 and an ISO of 100/200. If your not satisfied with the sharpness of the model, increase the F-stop. Do remember when you increase F-stop you also need to increase your shutter due to the small aperture. Keep the ISO at 100/200.

Lesser light gets into the camera with a small F- number. ALWAYS USE A TRIPOD !!

2. Get a black mounting board or black.dark blue velvet for the base depending on the model colour. Some cars have better contrast with a white base. View some pics I've shot below to help you choose.

3. Set your camera on a tripod and make sure it's steady. Your will need to use manual (M) mode and manual focusing for your DSLR for this shot. Therefore, focus the camera to the model in a lit condition first, once its focused and you're satisfied with the sharpness, turn off the AF. Try avoiding from hitting or moving the camera at this point. Set the self timer for the camera so that you don't cause any shake to the camera.

4. Now you are ready to start painting!. Get a torch light. LED is preferred. Now, put your camera on self timer just to give you enough time to get in front of the camera. You can start by hovering your torch above the car (painting it) or make nice moving patterns.

This technique is best for making teasers of your diecasts! Just move the light in ONE direction. You can see the "white" lines on the car thats the torch light :)

Some example pics of mine,

You can also try doing some patterns styles as the background, in example:-

You will require to be in this position to do the above effect, steps 3 applies.

move your hand at whatever styles you like to create the desired effect. You can google for some idea's.

This is a picture of mine using both the effect styles. Merged 2 pictures due to having only 1 torch light

Happy Painting!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice work & subject matter, you should be proud of what you've achieved as looks very Proffesional mate......10/10.

#3 ·
Lovely photos Red Baron, a pleasure to look at!
How did you do the SV??

#11 ·
Thanks! IMHO this is only my first time doing this. Saves alot of time and cost. You dont need fancy lighting or props to create good shot!

#13 ·
Not necessary. I've tried with 8 sec's also. Pic 3 and 7 were done with different shutter speeds @ 8 sec and 10sec. Depending on how fast you hover your light over the model. You can also play around with slow shutter </> slow hovering of the led OR fast shutter </> fast hovering of the led. The length between your light source with the car also matters ")

#15 ·
Laser? haha nope. I used my phone camera led to create those effect. You will require a DSLR to achieve this effect because it needs slow shutter. Not sure if other cam's can slow down the shutter speed

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pic update!

This 1st pic is basically just drawing with your light source. Do some practice before you draw. Don't for get you will need to write the letters and numbers in the other way around!

#18 ·
Pic update!

This 1st pic is basically just drawing with your light source. Do some practice before you draw. Don't for get you will need to write the letters and numbers in the other way around!

Very cool!!!
....but why do you have to write the numbers in reverse??

#23 ·
Updated tutorial for better understanding! Don't hesitate to ask me any questions :)

#24 ·
GREAT SHOTS!! I have the same camera as you and I think this is GREAT way of using my camera!! Thank you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.