DiecastXchange Forum banner

Josh's display cases and collection

89K views 578 replies 101 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Go to page 4 and 5 for my latest updates and much better pics.

These cases have glass covers which were removed for photographic reasons (glare). Each case holds 20 cars and they are handmade by my Dad. They seal up pretty tightly. My cost is about 20 bucks a pop for the glass, he supplied lumber. I am fortunate that I have always been able to display ALL of my collection, until recently, I decided to give about 30 models to toys for tots to try and further encourage other kids into this hobby, (I started when i was about 13), also my brother is getting about 6 or 7 of my older corvette models for x-mas, so all those models have been cleaned up and put aside. They were mostly doubles that I upgraded to Autoart, Highway 61 Hot Wheels elite, etc. Anyways the rest of my collection. I will also try to include a link to my Flickr so you guys can see bigger photos.

See less See more
#2 ·
the rest of my collection is stored in an entertainment center's display towers. My dad also built this as a wedding gift for my wife, and I I will try to get some more pics of it.
Other cars are loose around the room, but all models are in the same Mancave.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89879941@N07/
Hopefully the link works so you can see bigger pics guys, sorry these loaded so small.

#3 ·
Wow, so many great cars in your collection - I love all the Exotics, but especially like all your old muscle cars. Having grown up on hot wheels cars there are so many muscle cars I would like. But that is probably the weakest area of my collection, mainly because there aren't many good current releases and the old ones are so hard to find here in Australia. And buying from the US adds $50 shipping cost. I have a few mustangs, a streetfighter camaro and a few movie cars but that's it.

Its great that you can display all of them too the way you have. I'd be terrified of dusting the ones out in the open - lucky that you do have glass covering on a fair proportion of them....

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

#13 ·
thanks for the comments, I was apparently born 30 years too late, I am 32 and I have loved muscle cars since I was like 8.

With regards to the dust I have learned some tricks, I dont open the house up very much,never the basement windows, also I have VERY little carpet in my house, this really helps, and I change my furnace filter about every month. In addition I have an IQ Air, air filter which I keep running continuously and I change that filter often as well. I only have about 88 models exposed to the elements and all my nicer models GMP AUTOart Highway 61 Kyosho, etc are cased, but can be opened easily enough. I will need to have my father build another case soon though!!
[/quote]

I am similar age - 39, so the 60's was before my time but I grew up on hot wheels, and watched plenty of American TV shows and movies as a kid so I think thats where my appreciation for muscle cars comes from. My collection is maybe half European/UK, but has Aussie and US muscle, JDM, a few movie/tv cars and a growing segment of race cars. I am just about at 100 models now, but your collection looks to be 2 or 3 times bigger!

It would be nice to have someone that can make nice cabinets like yours!

Our house isn't opened much - only in the summer at night to cool down, but we do have an evaporative 'fresh air' air conditioner and carpets, and a cat and kids running around so there can be alot of dust - 2 weeks after cleaning there is quite a visible dust layer on anything dark! So I made sure to get doors with my display cabinets, but the dust still gets inside, Not much, but enough to annoy me! So some cars are still in box. I plan to modify my cabinets by adding some weather seals to the cabinet to further minimise the dust soon, and also plan to replace the carpets in the living areas with wood or tiles, but maybe not for about 5-10 years. The air filter sounds like a good idea :) It might be good for allergies too.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't think I didn't see that "Superbowl Shuffle" album Smokey
awesome

http://www.dailymoti...l-shuffle_music

Nice collection, and very organized. Thanks for posting.
I can remember singing the song with my family, but I am too young to remeber watching that team, but they were recently named the greatest NFL team ever by SI in their newest book "Football's Greatest". Eat it Miami,,, I HATE the dolphins..they ruined that perfect record, the obly big game Marino ever won!!

#5 ·
Very nice collection there Smokey, great selection of muscle cars.

#8 ·
thank you 118 supercars, I take great pride in my variety of colors, especcially the muscle cars. I specifically chose the red LP 670 to get a red lambo in my collection, but honestly looking at it yesterday I think it might be my fav lambo, that red paint sparkles.
I see you added the bleu cent. I have been chewing on that one for a while, but really i just want the SS!!

#9 ·
Smokeyfan..............awesome collection of cars..............I really love the muscle cars. Couple of questions.........how many cars in your collection that you're displaying? How big is your man cave? Are your display cases mounted to the wall? Thanks for the info and again.......AWESOME collection.

#10 ·
I am currrently displaying 296 models, with about 40 in storage, although those are going to my brother and a toys for tots donation. those will be the first models I have ever let go of, I have never sold or traded a single model to date, those will be the first to go. just old maistos bburagos ertls mondos Hot Wheels's etc.
the cases are resting firmly on a built in shelf that is part of the foundation, I live in the midwest so not much earthquake concern. Also the cases are about 4 feet long so they really dont move much at all. My man cave is the entire basement,plus one small bedroom which includes a 1/64 farm layout, and one shitter
, plus access to my garage and my GTI
thanks for the compliment, that GTO looks good in your avatar!!

#20 ·
smokeyfan thanks for the info. When I'm finished (which will take awhile yet) my mancave will be approx. 1000sq ft and I'm planning on displaying a good portion of my 300+ cars. I do however have to worry about earthquakes, I'm in Alaska, so I'm always looking for ways to display my collection. Thanks for the comment on the GTO, it's the Tom's Garage version by Acme/GMP, here's a LINK to more of my collection if your interested. Thanks again for the information and I'd love to see pictures of your farm layout if you have them. I just recently started another addiction by collecting 1/16 tractors as well..........man I don't know what I was thinking!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
That is one AMAZING collection Smokey
- thanks for sharing!

Sooo many on display!!
...have you ever cataloged them?? That would make a good read!

And credit for your Dad for making all those cabinets!

BTW do you have any room for a bed??

#19 ·
Thanks everyone. It is really great to be able to share my collection with some others who enjoy this hobby as much as I do! I really am enjoying being a part of this site. I will have to take some time to list out what everything here is, but I should try to do that soon, Eddy. and yes there is room for a bed, upstairs

#22 ·
WOW! smokeyfan. This is indeed a seriously big collection! Even after the giveaways it's still pretty big!

I love the variety, especially those American classics. Man they are so beautiful!

I'm sure it feels so great to watch all these cars together in the room!

Thanks for sharing pictures with us!

#25 ·
Smokey you and I are gonna get along great!
Awesome collection man. I'm in the same boat of collecting muscle cars, some classic 30's and then the exotics and JDM's. And love the Go Tigers GTO....I've been watching for one for a year now but always either miss the moment or figure the price is too high....greedy sellers.

Great collection!!!

#29 ·
Just putting this here too. Kind of a good way for me to keep track of some things.

2012 was a GREAT diecast year for me. I definatly got some grails and some ladder cars(my term for models which I need to complete groups). One highlight was giving about 2 dozen models to Toys For Tots, a month ago, and I gave some to my brother for X-mas, complete with display case for 10 models. I also gave him a Maisto 1995 vette in red, the one with 2 roofs, he owned one those back in the day, same wheels and all, it was a good gift.

I missed out on one model, actually watched another person buy it in front of me at a trade show. That sucked. Also I have a Lotus Esprit V8 in transit, that is my 300th model, my last number 300 was BBR Enzo.

2012's purchases
Ertl Pontiac Firebird Trans-am SD455 white with no firehawk (ladder model)
Ertl 71 Plymouth GTX Go Green (another ladder to go with my 71 roadrunner)
Ertl Authentics 70 Charger Chase car Plum Crazy, bought at a toy show for 50 bucks!! one of my better deals.
Ertl Buick 71 GSX black
GMP 71 Pontiac GTO judge starlight black searched a long time, kind of a grail
Autoworld 69 GTO Judge (upgrade)in Green, saw the real car in person bought the model.
Performance Years 64 GTO black with white interior, long time grail, finally made a deal on one for 40 bucks.
Autoworld 70 Chevelle SS 396 blue (upgrade)
Highway 61 Baldwin Motion Camaro black with red stinger hood, looked a long time, getting harder to find.
Highway 61 1969 COPO Camaro in black
Highway 61 1970 Boss 302(upgrade) in medium lime looked forever and finally got one cheap, very hard to get one for under 70 dollars.
Acme 1967 Shelby GT500 in blue choose this over autoart cuz it was cheaper and has better engine bay.
UT 78 vette in black FOR 22 DOLLARS really a great deal, damn fine model too.
AUTOart 70 vette in red
AUTOart 53 Vette (upgrade)
AUTOart 62 Vette roman red (upgrade from ertl)
AUTOart 59 vette black (Upgrade from motormax 58)
AUTOart 63 vette daytona blue (upgrade from ertl)
GMP masterpiece 65 Corvette coupe, HOLY CRAP MY WIFE BOUGHT THIS FOR X-MAS!!!
Arnie Beswick Mystery Tornado signed by Arnie, and a x-mas gift from my Mom, awesome job Mom!!
Kyosho Tucker Torpedo for 25 dollars shipped, one of my all time great deals, the blue one.
Autoart S2000 silver with red interior for 8 dollars, also one of my all time great deals.
Shelby Coll. Blue GT 40 with no livery
Acme Fiat altered in black with flames
Autoart 1959 Caddy Eldorado in red for 125 shipped one of my favs of this year, so much better than my old Maisto.
Welly Bentley Conti GTC white really wgo did NOT get this car?
Norev BMW M1 in orange Ditto
welly Alfa Romeo 8C yellow double ditto, i waited a year.
AUTOart Doge Viper SRT 10 coupe in red, 50 dollars shipped equals one of my top steals of 2012.
Autoart LP 560-4 Super Trofeo in yellow purchased alongside...
Autoart Lamborghini LP 670-4 SV Rosso Targa Really liking this color with the small SV, its somehow classy.
Autoart Porsche 911 turbo 911 3.0 viper green, sleeper car of the year, I cant believe how much I like this car!!
Autoart Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale People talkin model of the year, but I think it is A LITTLE disapointing.
Autoart Lamborghini Aventador in white, I love this car in this color, just works for me, easily an all time fav.
Autoart Aston Martin V-12 Vantage Midnight blue
BBR Enzo 1st edition in Rosso for $165 shipped one of my all time steals along with... (upgrade)
BBR Ferrari 512 BB LM Red NO livery for $232 shipped!!!
Hot wheels Elite Ferrari 308 blue from scale 18 closing sale...
Hot wheels Elite Ferrari 599 GTO black Ditto
Hot wheels Elite Ferrari 348 in yellow ditoo (upgrade from maisto)
Hot wheels Elite 333 SP (upgrade)
Hot Wheels Elite 459 Italia GT2 Presentation red This model is setting a standard that others (AUTOart) hopefully follow.
Maisto Dauer EB110
Autoart Lotus Esprit in transit
and a partridge in a pear tree!!!!

#32 ·
That is the number one rule of my collection, it must remain at a level where I can display ALL OF IT. every purchase decision is weighed against this neccessity. and of course it requires some diligent maintainence on my part, as not ALL models are in cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.