DiecastXchange Forum banner

CMC Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta foggy headlights

11K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  speedy 
#1 ·
I have just got a CMC Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta with a nasty problem, foggy headlights. I think you all know about what I am talking, so I will get straight to my question. How some of you managed to clean them up?

I heard that you can easily pop out the lens to clean them, but to me it seems imposibile, they are really stuck in there.

Another option is to contact CMC for a new pair of lens, for free. I am already waiting for them, but I am not feeling comfortable to crack the foggy ones...

See less See more
#2 ·
Just wait for a bit, and do it then. What if the new lenses gets lost somewhere in the postal system??

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hahaha! Christmas good cheer to you Igor!
Are you sober enough to share your CMC contact address details with me, I have the same problem and would like to get replacements.......
Pretty please???

#9 ·
I just emailed and got an 'out of office until Jan 7th' reply....but at least i've made contact - thanks again!

#10 ·
I have just mounted the new lenses. Instead of a drill I used a needle heated in fire. :D The old, foggy lens popped so easy.

I have used a Loctite gel adhesive to mount the new lenses and I didn't applied it on the whole contact surface between lens and headlight frame.

#34 ·
Hi Kane,
did you poke the lens in the middle, to take out the foggy lens? or do you heat the glue in the perimeter of surrounding lens with needle heated in fire.
any others care to share how to do it?
is there any other way to clean up the foggy lense using chemical perhaps?

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wonder what causes the lenses to fog up like that? Surely you guys aren't leaving out the models somewhere exposed to extreme temperatures..

#15 ·
I wonder what causes the lenses to fog up like that? Surely you guys aren't leaving out somewhere in extreme temperatures..
Only one of mine is affected, but it has been since it was new....I think it must be something to do with smudging with the glue used and it not drying clear or something like that...

#19 ·
Mine arrived this morning!!
Thanks for the link Kane!
And what kind of glue did you use Igor?

#29 ·
It is easy if you can get the clear part ( lens ) out of the light.. Than you can repair the original lenses..
I tried that but it is big risk.. You can damage chrome part around the lens or you will destroy the lens..

At the end I drilled the hole in it and just replace them ;)

#31 ·
Hey Guys, I thought I'd put this here as I wasn't quite sure where to place it, I contacted CMC this morning regarding the headlights for the CMC Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta Passo Corto SWB and within an hour I got a reply from Mr Peter Diller...

Dear Mr. *Blank*

Thank you for your request. We just checked our warehouse, but unfortunately we don't have any of these headlight-lenses left that we could send you. We're sorry that in this case we cannot help you with your matter.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen
Grüssen
CMC GmbH & Co. KG
Classic Model Cars
Peter Diller
Export Manager CMC Germany

#35 ·
Just stick a very sticky tape on the lens, then pull quickly.

Do not destroy the lens as you won't get another. Then a normal car polish on a cloth will clean them up nicely. You can push them back in or use a dab of water based clear glue to hold them in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.