Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: gb
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:No preference

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed a zillion times before, but I'd especially welcome feedback from UK members here, familiar with the PO service.

Due to space constraints I'm probably going to shift a few 1:18ths this year. Because I believe in treating others as you wish to be treated, I want to ensure that any diecasts I sell arrive safely, in time and with as little inconvenience as possible to the buyer.

The few times I have posted models, they've been packed really well, in a tough transport box bought from the PO and sent via either Recorded or Guaranteed Delivery. I think I've only ever shifted three cars in the last ten years so I absorbed the costs in those cases. Needless to say, this is an expensive postal option - say an extra £7 to £9 - but it is reassuring for me and the buyer because we get a tracking number and hopefully some comeback if things go tits.

Thing is...I'm probably going to shift six or seven cars this year, and I want to find a fair and pragmatic way to send them that won't fleece me, but will get the model there safely. So do you think there are actually two negotiations to be had here? Agreeing the price of the diecast, then agreeing how to ship it? If a seller said to you 'Ok, I will send it guaranteed or recorded delivery if you go halves on the postal cost, added to the agreed price of the car'. Do you think that's fair or reasonable? If it's a stupid idea, just say.

What do you do to get models to the buyer safely and hassle free using the PO? I don't have time to go back and forth over quibbles about late delivery, disputes over damage in transit and ultimately the buyer holding back a pay-pal payment. We all know that there are people out there in eBay that will find any excuse to hold a payment and I want to avoid this. I can pack the car perfectly, but the PO bit is the gamble and I want to reduce risk there, too.

What are your thoughts please? How do you ship around the UK?

Cheers :)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   mach504

mach504

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:cars, watches, headphones, Warhammer 40000, Halo, music, paper weapons
  • Proud Citizen of: us
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Autoart, Kyosho, BBR, GMP, HWE/SE, Minichamps,

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

i don't know about shipping in the UK specifically, but a general rule i have followed when selling things (never a diecast, they are my most precious treasures) is to charge the higher shipping price anyway and change it only if the buyer requests to have a cheaper shipping option, but that would be at his risk, since you are offering shipping the best and most trustable way as the standard and he is requesting a less protected way just to save himself a bit of money. Im sure any dedicated collector would be willing pay the little extra to protect their models. I would.

#3 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Silver Member

• DX Administrative Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19,262 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

For value up to £35 regular first and second class post can have 'signed for' added for 77p....this proves that parcel has been accepted.....HOWEVER  this DOES NOT TRACK the parcel..... :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 14,697 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Older Kyosho/Exoto/CMC/FrontiArt/UT Models

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Recorded Delivery is insured for a value of up to £46, as Eddy said though it is not tracked, you only get a signature. A typical cost to send a 1/18 is about £8 -10 there is no 2KG weight limit.

Special Delivery is fully tracked & insured to £500 and guaranteed next day (except on Saturdays) cheapest price on that is £9.55 for a 1/18 - if you go over 2KG it will cost you £22.50

Personally if a model costs over £60 I send by Special Delivery. I don't make on postage costs whatsoever. I wouldn't part pay the postal cost for the buyer, maybe upgrade to Special Delivery as it doesn't cost much more than Recorded.

Hope that helps, I'm more than happy to talk about sending International if you like?
I always find that I get more money by sending worldwide.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   B1N9S

B1N9S

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 934 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: uk
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Autoart

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I sell lots of diecasts.

I will only EVER ship recorded for piece of mind (even internationally).  My custom models regularly fetch a high value and I wouldn't want anyone buying a model for such a high cost to have a damaged car arriving, so I package them as well as can be reasonably expected and if anything does happen (accidents DO happen), I bend over backwards to put it right.

I wish I could hand deliver them all, but unfortunately you have to place the treasured item into the care of the PO.

If you plan on selling on Ebay, I always ask for £8 UK recorded, £25 international recorded.  I always refund undercosts and absorb overcosts, that usually keeps people happy.

But proof of postage is a must, it is the only way to prove to Paypal that you posted the item and your not a crook and to stop the very low % of Ebay buyers that are crooks and trying to scam you.  If it is genuinly lost in the post, try to sort an amicable agreement.
https://www.facebook.com/1eighteen

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   jusali

jusali

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 418 posts
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Too many to choose from

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

I only post Special Delivery 9.75 GBP fully tracked fully insured. Postage costs are up front on ebay, if you don't like it, don't buy it!
I always bend over backwards for customers regarding postage and packaging, it's the weakest link in the chain so worth making the upmost effort to ensure safe delivery.

#7 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

cheers chaps!

So are you saying it's reasonable to say:

"ok, we've agreed [say] £60 for the model, plus £9.95 for Special Delivery" (as long as i make it clear in advance that's the service i'll use to ship it)

I'm not looking to make on the postage; i just want it to get there quickly, safely and in one piece and for the buyer to be happy with the whole experience/transaction.

#8 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 14,697 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostScuddy, on 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

cheers chaps!

So are you saying it's reasonable to say:

"ok, we've agreed [say] £60 for the model, plus £9.95 for Special Delivery" (as long as i make it clear in advance that's the service i'll use to ship it)

I'm not looking to make on the postage; i just want it to get there quickly, safely and in one piece and for the buyer to be happy with the whole experience/transaction.
Yeah that's reasonable.

Will you be advertising on here first before ebay ?

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

cheers Craig.

Yep, they will be advertised here first. I'll probably add the list to the a new thread this weekend. I might need some help/guidance on what a fair market price is. When i look on eBay, the prices are all over the shop. Hmm. :)

#10 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 14,697 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

How many cars are you looking to sell?

If you like you can pm me the list & I'll give you my thoughts on prices.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

thanks, Craig. I'm drawing up the list now (mentally) so will PM it tomorrow.

thanks for your offer/help ;-)

#12 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 19,262 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just a thought Gino, I always thought you were in Italy...do you live in UK now?  :icon_scratch:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Italian roots/family, now living in the sunny Shires, Ed :)

#14 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 19,262 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostScuddy, on 01 March 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Italian roots/family, now living in the sunny Shires, Ed :)

Drat 'n dang! :gaah: Too far away from Milford to meet for a good DX chat over a cool pint!  :rolleyes:

Fast Eddy's

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Wellzie 74

Wellzie 74

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving cars....Complete "Petrol Head"
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:Minichamps, AUTOart, Kyosho, Highway 61, ERTL, Solido, Sunstar, GMP/ACME, Exotos, CMC's.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Scuddy, proud Citizen of means you live @ lol, you're like Gino De Campo....He's from Sheffield according to Keith Lemon....Oooush!

So what you planning on selling? Never enough Brits selling here, then again they all look like they live abroad by their User Details lol

The 3 most important things in life...

It's not how many models you have but how many of them you look at & smile.
Good Karma, what goes around eventually comes around.
Never fart in white chinos after spicy food.
Posted Image
As a wise man once said......"Pull my Finger".

#16 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8,908 posts
  • Interests:Family. Diecast. LFC. Movies. Top Gear UK.
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:If its a Porsche... It'll do me!!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

You have to take in to account the cost of all your packing, i.e...tape, packing chips, bubble wrap, extra box... then there is the cost of your fuel if you have to drive to the post office.... Its not just the simple..... you pay X amount to ship it to someone.

I sold loads of model tanks last year, and in one case, i had to pay nearly £6 extra for my shipping costs, on one box.

So my advice, take in to account all the work you have do to get it ready to be delivered to the buyer before you advertise your postage costs... :twocents:

Edited by bigdave7872, 02 March 2013 - 08:49 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because sometimes... one is never quite enough. :nice:

Dave.

My Spotlight Pictures.... Click here

#17 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi Dave, yep you're right about the extra costs incurred beyond posting. For extra protection, I like to post the boxed diecast in a tough box designed for shipping rather than in an old shoe box, so that's a few bob extra on top. I guess i'm trying to find that happy balance between meeting the buyer's expectation that the diecast will be well packaged without me being out of pocket for it.

I'm not selling anything especially rare; just some european saloons, a coupe or two, and some muscle cars. I need the room for new diecast, and I have opted to move these on the simple basis that I look at them less than my other diecasts...so, in theory, as nice as they are, I won't miss them :)

Eddy, mate - we'll have to make do with a virtual pint for now ;) i'm sure we'll get a chance to have a real pint at some point. That would be ace :)

#18 OFFLINE   Andy205

Andy205

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Anything with wheels. Casio G Shock watches. Vehicle detailing.
  • Favorite Diecast Brand:AUTOart, HWE, Norev

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

If it's any help I recycle my packing materials including boxes and bubble wrap and always post recorded delivery.

Some of the models I've moved on recently had no box so I triple wrap in bubble wrap and use surgical tape on opening parts. All boxes are wrapped in brown paper and parcel taped and marked fragile (the PO near my office always ask me now if I want stickers lol).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2003-2014 DiecastXchange - The Complete Diecast Car Collectors Message Forum | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use