DiecastXchange Forum banner

Aventador Headlight glow effect tutorial

10K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Denperz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Test subject is a FX LP700.

1. Open your desired photo in Ps.

2. Click on the polygonal lasso tool on the left side of your screen. Carefully trace around the part of the image you want to make glow. Feather the selection by clicking on "Select" and choosing "Feather." Set the feather radius to one.

3.Right hand click and select "Layer via copy". Older version of Ps, Go to "Layer," then select "New." Click on "Layer via Copy."

4.Look to the right side of your screen, and locate the "Layers" tab. Click on "Layer 1." Go to the drop-down box labeled "Properties," then choose "Screen." (The tab should be just beside the opacity option).

5.Click on "Filter" at the top of your screen, Choose "Blur," then "Gaussian Blur."Pull the slider to the right to create more blur and to the left for less blur. For my Aventador shot I used a 20px blur radius. You can experiment around to achieve the desired blur effect.

6.Now right hand click "Layer 1" and go to "Blending options". In the layer styles tab select "Inner glow". You can try the setting I've used in the picture below for your model. When your done duplicate that layer 3 times. (You can duplicate as many times as you like to achive desired glow effect)

7. Repeat steps 2-6 for the next headlights. You should come across something like this,

8. Once you're satisfied with the progress, press Shift + Ctrl + F to flatten the layers.

9. Ta-daaa! Don't forget to save your picture ;) Jpeg or PNG for best quality.

Alternate effects, you can put lens flare for the projector headlamps of the Aventador. Due to my angle I've shot this pic I cant apply the flare it will look weird. I just prefer the "Y" glow :p

Note: This tutorial mainly specified for the Aventador due to its unique Y shape headlights. You can try for other cars as well but no assurance that its gonna work 100% :p. You can try on other models and post them here if it works! I'll update here on particular models that this effect can work on.

GOOD LUCK! =)

Add-On :-

You can also add "outer glow" to achieve more glowing effect to the headlights esp in low key shot. Image examples inside spoiler below, In the end you can add lens flare at about 30-40% depending on your shot.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!! Thanks mate! I'll surely try this... when I get my Aventador :p

#6 ·
My way: I selected a picture in real life, cut the light and paste on the picture of model. But your way is great (Y)
At certain angle yours look better! Esp the front view. I was suppose to just copy and paste from the real Avent but wanted to try something different lol.

#8 ·
Did another experiment, this time I added "outer glow" for the headlights. IMHO better than lens flare.

#10 ·
Gave this a shot just now, not the best accuracy but still pretty fun! Thanks for this tutorial.
Thats an awesome shot! I could not help it to do smtg with it. Dun kill me

#14 ·
Man
This makes me want to buy photoshop....

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Add-on: This tutorial works with all those cars that come with the "daylight" headlights. Be it an audi, Lambo, Ferrari etc... =)

For those models with LED headlight (eg like the 458 above), use the circle marquee tool to achieve the circling of the LED's. Glow method steps are the same as above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.