DiecastXchange Forum banner

Frontiart Aston Martin One-77 full open silver - disappointing quality and QC!

14K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  sashaturbo 
#1 ·
After seeing mikum and Zuugnap's magma red full-open AM One-77s from Frontiart, I got really excited. So after I ordered a silver one, I was full of anticipation that this would be the highest-end model in my collection representing the state-of-the-art in resin modelmaking. Boy, was I disappointed upon receiving it today! For the price that this model is going for, this is completely unacceptable. FA should really be ashamed to let this pass inspection and sell something like this. I know many of you have good experiences with FA, but from my standpoint, I cannot recommend their models.

I am not even going to open the packaging and try to fix the many problems. Therefore, I wish I could have taken some photos of the model for you guys to look at, but I do not want the dealer to say it was tampered with and not accept my return for a full refund. Here are the nightmarish pictures:

Is there any possibility that this can be sanded down to make it even?

FA's glue is complete WEAK SAUCE

Chrome window trim warping and coming loose due to WEAK SAUCE glue

I thought FA had figured out how to do super-tight shutlines with resin?

Unfortunately I can only snap some pics from the outside, without opening up the packaging

See less See more
#2 ·
Too many small parts coming loose. Who knows what it will look like in a year or 5 years. The thing could fall apart eventually. Does anyone else have this issue, or is it a one off problem?

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Too many small parts coming loose. Who knows what it will look like in a year or 5 years. The thing could fall apart eventually. Does anyone else have this issue, or is it a one off problem?
That's exactly what I was thinking too, Jon.

Yikes! It looks like you definitely got a lemon. But, like others have already said, don't give up... everyone does have their fair share of bad experiences with various model makers. Sometimes, it's the most expensive models that turn out to be the biggest disappointment.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow that looks very different compare to other open/close FA models of other DX members here like the shut lines. I would return it and get a refund and move on with something else if I were you, especially the price is a nuts on this model :/ Besides the weak glue problem, I am not sure if the shut lines are like that on all open/close FA models or just yours...but thats totally unacceptable for a $600 model...

Thanks for posting and sharing, Will. Hope it will work out for you with whatever you decide to do with it :) keep us update!

#5 ·
That car is seriously messed up, yeah I'd sent it back too.

Of the couple of FA models I have, neither has any problems at all. This one is totally unacceptable.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good point Diego, parts made of resin are fragile, I have solved this problem and the material I use is strong but flexible enough to not break like glass, and other major issues with resin cast parts are air bubbles, shrinkage, loose of details on parts next to mold line, left over of material at mold lines, and wax that need to be washed away, last but not least the mess in doing the mixing, the smell, and in the end the silicone molds. It is such an old technology. Have you ever asked yourselves how much costs a kilo of resin, at retail price is 40 euros for an expensive one. The price FA, BBR, MR, TECNOMODEL, APM, and company ask are just ridiculous. For that price, in my opinion the quality MUST be better.
[/quote]

#7 ·
OMFG what the hell!!!!, will I totally agree with you, this is unacceptable for a model priced so high, but this is really strange and I find it hard to believe that this passed QC at FrontiArt, not saying it can't happen but I'd send these pictures to them and ask for their comments/feedback. I had a similar issue with my full-open Sesto Elemento where the rear engine cover was warped and did'nt fit the model well, they sent me a completely new part - no charge.

I know that Technomodel had an issue with their Aston One-77's being copied by some Chinese company and was really difficult differentiating the two - might this be the same issue with FrontiArt???

I'd send them the pics and wait for their reply, good luck, thanks for sharing the pics and keep us posted. Damn just had a look at those pics again - what a shame

#8 ·
Thanks guys for your comments. I have emailed the dealer and attached the same exact photos. The visual evidence is so overwhelming that the dealer cannot refuse my return for a refund. Unfortunately, this particular transaction has been nothing but problematic. The dealer initially sent me the wrong model, which I returned. I am still waiting for the dealer to refund the shipping cost that I had to pay to return the wrong item. The parcel of this model was actually delivered to the wrong address but luckily was rerouted to me yesterday.

As I have been talking with Brandon (blieu118), the stress that comes with this hobby makes me really want to slow down or even get out -- once again. With the prices getting more expensive, the stakes just keep getting higher and higher, and I'm tired of practically having a second job in the logistics business.

#9 ·
Don't leave the hobby. Chalk this one down to experience & move on. I know that prices are on the up (it bothers me too) my advice is not to buy new release models unless you really want them, or look around & find the best price. Other than that I'd concentrate on older models that I want.

#10 ·
I agree with Craig, don't give up. we've all had a few bad experiences too (eg. that bloody LaFerrari of mine) but a person learns from this and becomes more cautious, of course it's annoying when you face so many f**** ups with one model as you did and yes, I agree prices are rocketing and will continue to do so, but that's also due to the fact that this hobby is quickly growing and becoming more & more popular, demands are higher and competition amongst manufacturers is tough, so unfortunately this hobby will never get cheaper. At least they have'nt started making models with full functional lighting - just a question of time though and I don't want to see those prices - hang in there mate

#12 ·
Thanks again for your comments guys. I was talking out of frustration before. I don't intend to leave the hobby, but I am seriously thinking of slowing down in 2014 for reasons besides the increasing hassles and bad experiences. I have not heard back from the dealer yet. I'll give it a couple more days. If I don't hear from the dealer, I will have to open a transaction dispute with PayPal.

#13 ·
This is the one of the reasons that led me to build my own models and not buying anymore from those "high end" manufacturers. For that price those defects are unacceptable, and for that price no defect is accepted. If anyone is interested in really HIGH END fully detailed and openable models can contact me ;) I am bringing to reality a dream that I have since I was a kid, and over the years after having spent a lot for models I was in search of the perfection and never found it, so I decided to make the cars by myself and thanks to the latest and modern technologies like 3d printing, laser cut, CNC machining, highly detailed photo etched etc the result will be light years above FA and company. Hope to help those of you who are frustrated to find a new kharma
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#19 ·
Hmm, I see what you mean now, I had similar issues with my silver closed one-77. The glue FA uses is bad, it's also evident in other models I own(ed) by them, like the Mac MP4, the Aventador and the Honda HSV.

Don't expect too much from Tracy, I sent her feedback on all these issues and did not receive even acknowledgement that it was noted.

Good luck!

#20 ·
It's disheartening to know that the company does not even respond to matters like this ... really unacceptable.
I have had contact with Fronti-Art before and have found their replies to be informative, however I wasn't complaining about issues like this, maybe that's why.
'Tracy' seems to be able to handle sales only, or provide strange excuses why their colours are off.
Let us know if you do hear anything back from them regarding the matter. Otherwise it'll be a good example to others so they know what they are dealing with when buying from Fronti-Art.

#21 ·
I contacted them by email once, it took ages (about three weeks) to get a reply to a simple question, when they replied they aid that they didn't know the answer.
I only wanted a model code as it wasn't on the box or their website

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I contacted them by email once, it took ages (about three weeks) to get a reply to a simple question, when they replied they aid that they didn't know the answer.
I only wanted a model code as it wasn't on the box or their website
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
That sucks, and it was such as simple question.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update:

Need to blow off a little steam. I got an automated email from Paypal that indicates "it ruled in my favor." It is going to refund the transaction once I ship the item back to the dealer. But the fine print in the email also said any item over $250 requires a signature confirmation for proof of delivery back to the seller.

Since the seller is overseas, and it's the heavy Christmas season, the package is probably going to sit in customs and maybe get lost. They never get a signature proof, and I never get my refund, in that case. The auto email says I'm responsible for return shipping too.

If you guys remember, I'm already out $50 in the first place because the seller shipped me the wrong model the first time and I had to ship it back. I told Paypal about this but I doubt I will ever get that money back. So that means I am looking at $100 out of pocket just from shipping costs and nothing to show for it.

Since the Paypal email is automated, I'm going to talk to a live person because this transaction has just been weird with special circumstances. I don't like the terms of Paypal's resolution, so I have filed a transaction dispute with my credit card's bank too.

I can't understand why dealers can't just man up and handle problems. Instead they turtle and disappear. It's just not how you run a business. It's so simple that they just turn away long-term customers/sales doing this yet they can't grasp this concept.

#28 ·
Update: Talking to Paypal didn't get anywhere. They won't refund me until they see a proof of delivery of the model back to the seller. A return tracking number is not good enough. They're not doing anything to reimburse me for the shipping cost of sending back the initial wrong model. I probably won't be able to recover that money. So now I'm trying my credit card bank.

#36 ·
I wonder if the windows warp en route ? I've had a few resin models with warped windows
the last one I got had warped windows & other damage (due to the sellers very poor packing) I returned it & it cost me about £35 !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.