1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass "SX" Silver Edition - Lane Exact Detail - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass "SX" Silver Edition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1392 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

Once upon a time one I was young in collecting models I quickly became focused on Oldsmobile replicas as I was really into the brand and they were easier on the pocketbook; as there fewer of them.  I was blow away by the detail shown by Highway 61 as compared to the Ertls of the day and while I had heard tell of these Exact Detail I shied away from them as they were more pricey.  Later, when I sat down and made a list of every possible Olds model there was in 1/18 and I did not have, I again found the list was not so huge.  I again ignored the Lanes as they were still pricey for a my earnings and I had not been into the 1970's offerings by Oldsmobile preferring the '68 and '69 rockets that came out of Detroit more.  Though I realized my want to possibly have a somewhat complete history of the company and the handful of really nice reviews of Lanes that were popping up on this forum.

Posted Image

The 1971 Cutlass in Silver, a number of 750 along with the Matador Red version were the only two made in these numbers.  This being my first Lane I am amazed at the paint quality, the metallic silver sparkles.   The model has a great stance as it sits on fully really independent suspension; lift up the car and the right rear wheel drops as do the front wheels.  No detail has been spared with badging and trim work, nothing looks cheap or stuck on. The wheels of those great rally wheels that I have loved since forever, are the right proportion.  Engine detail is complete with all the right wiring and warning labels; as is the trunk which like other Lanes, comes with spare tire, jack and finished with the right trunk paint and factory spare tire labels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything that opens does so on realistic spring hinges that move freely with no binding.  Of course this a previously owned model and so could have been broken in by the last proud owner; who gave this one up as he preferred the previously mentioned Matador Red, thanks to him.  Overall, a great model with just all kinds of detail, with the exception the lights do not work or the engine start, but we can not have everything.  I know I have expanded my wish list for more examples of Lanes '70-'72 Oldsmobiles.

Posted Image

Edited by colourkin22, 04 November 2017 - 08:13 AM.

Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Likecoiledsteel

Likecoiledsteel

• DX Community
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Muscle Cars, Kung Fu
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Very nice write up. These Lanes Oldsmobiles are excellent and I have added a few of them to my collection in the last year. I just bought the Lane 71' Cutlass in the bright green color with white top. They did a really nice job on these and it is nice to see that Acme is putting them out again.

Steel
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust"

#3 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostLikecoiledsteel, on 14 August 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Very nice write up. These Lanes Oldsmobiles are excellent and I have added a few of them to my collection in the last year. I just bought the Lane 71' Cutlass in the bright green color with white top. They did a really nice job on these and it is nice to see that Acme is putting them out again.

Steel

Thanks Coiled, they really are very well down models and I hoped to get a few more when the budget permits.  I think the Acme with be my 72 version.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#4 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

beautiful model.  I love those rims as well.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Great little review here of a great car, I miss Lane.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostGavin, on 15 August 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

beautiful model.  I love those rims as well.
Thanks Gavin!. Those rims are so iconic, my Dad had them on his 84 cutlass surpreme on which I got my license.  

View Postsmokeyfan, on 15 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Great little review here of a great car, I miss Lane.

Glad your like Mr. Smokey. I miss them as well, though I wonder if the Acme are on the same standard, they certain charge enough for them.  Either way, Lane seemed to have a very cool approach to their models.

#7 OFFLINE   Gavin

Gavin

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 9008 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

from what I've seen the Lane molds that ACME has re-released have been done to the same standard.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Autobahn

Autobahn

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3294 posts
  • Interests:F1, TopGear, and the St. Louis Cardinals
  • Number of Models:140
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit, Norev, OTTO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostLikecoiledsteel, on 14 August 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Steel

I just bought the same Cutlass...Lime Green Metallic with the white vinyl roof...a couple of months ago.  I also have two 1972 442s, the standard 442 (Cutlass S) hardtop and the 442 W-30 (Cutlass Supreme) convertible, both in Viking Blue.  The recently-released Radiant Green W-30 442 hardtop is on my must-buy list as it has even a few more details than the earlier releases like additional undercarriage detail and corrected 'S' emblems on the interior door panels.

These Lane/ACME Oldsmobiles have dogleg hinges since they are relatively older molds (early 2000s), but they give up absolutely NOTHING else in detail.  The fit and finish on my cars is top-notch as well.

ACME has plans to release more of these cars, too.  There is a Nugget Gold 1970 442 on the way.  I want to add that one to my collection so I'll have all three years of this great body style.

colourkin...thanks for sharing pictures of your Cutlass Supreme SX...and congrats!  It looks very classy in Sterling Silver.  As much as I love 442s, I think I like the Cutlass SX even more, because it looks similar to the personal luxury cars of that era, and yet it has more than enough horsepower to keep up with other muscle cars from that time!
Matt

Recent Purchases:
Auto World 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS, Blue Velvet Metallic
OTTO Ford Focus RS, Frozen White

#9 OFFLINE   prawny123

prawny123

• DX Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 1226 posts
  • Interests:diecast collecting.
    family
    muscle cars
  • Favorite Brands:gmp,lane ertl,highway61
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think they are also releasing the 1970 442 w30 in paladium sliver and its going to be limited to 442 pieces as well.could be worth getting that one as I am sure it will sell out quickly
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks guys for the kind words and the great info.  I do not write to many model reviews but as I was surprised that one had not been done one of the Oldsmobile models I thought I would have ago when I got this one.  I am really impressed with it and am looking forward to getting a few more, especially when I have more money. I am glad to hear the acme models are as good or better than the Lane originals. I had the acme lime green '72 in my hand at a car show last month but didn't have the money for it at the time.   Thanks again all, Prawny, Autobahn and all for adding such great info to my humble little review.   If people want to add pictures of the other color variations, feel free.

Edited by colourkin22, 18 August 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Update...reload of missing Photos.

#12 OFFLINE   Phobos

Phobos

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exact Detail, AutoArt, Ertl, Highway 61, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Allthough posted a couple years ago, stil nice photo's of a great model. My personal experience with Lane Exact Detail is like you also described here. Loads of detail, very consistent paintjob and everything fits and lines up perfectly. They are very rare here though in europe. Shipping and import duties from the US cost as much as the model itself. Makes the hunt more challenging though :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.