How paint 1:18 wheels ? - Wheels, Brakes and Stance works - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

How paint 1:18 wheels ?

2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roger Dutch

Roger Dutch

• DX Community
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:High performance super cars and Sci fi movies .
  • Favorite Brands:Expensives
  • Proud Citizen of: br

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Need help to paint 458 Italia China Edition wheels , i am not a big fan of gold wheels , so i need to paint black , but i don't know how do this .
Need some remove of the original color ? Need sanding?
I planned use spray black gloss acrylic paint , but i don't know what is the best brand to fix this wheels ...
R. Castelucci

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hey

Sand wheels with #2000 grid sand paper under the water.
Apply primer coat ( The best by Tamiya cans ).. Wait for 1 day to get 100% dry.
And after that apply black color. I would use Semi Gloss black also from Tamiya..
And when the color is dry use Tamiya Clear Can and clear it. Wait to dry and this is it ;)

#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1727 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

I would say first of all depending on whether you can remove the wheels from the car or not. Minichamps and Kyosho cars have easily removable wheels for example. But so far I have not have good luck removing wheels from AutoArt cars. Maisto cars are hit and miss for me.

If you can remove the wheels, then it will be ten times easier as you can use spray paint. Just remove the wheel, pop the tires off, and make sure the surfaces are clean and oil free. I have a good luck starting with plastic primer (Tamiya or even rust-oleum). I usually start with the inside (back side) of the wheel then the face. Make sure first layer is thin and keep building thin layers until you get a uniform color. I usually go for either black or graphite color for wheels. My personal favorite spray paint brand is Tamiya. But I also had good luck with DupliColor or Model Masters.

Now if you can’t remove the wheels (or simply like me, I chickened out not wanting to destroy my $200 AutoArt and even a $30 Maisto), you can brush it. I normally use horse hair brush for wheel painting. Remove the tires and start brushing from the back side (i.e. paint the inside of the wheels first). Do it carefully as you don’t want to create blobs or run. Best to start with either flat black or matt white (depending on your final color) then build your actual color one thin layer at a time. Don’t be afraid to change brushes when you start to see excessive streaks.  

Maybe in a day or two I’ll post some of my wheel painting projects just to share.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.