Got two exotos and both came in damged... - Exoto - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Got two exotos and both came in damged...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I ordered from a seller a pair of his 'mint' condition cars, the #9 Vaillant 934 and the #9 Budweiser 935.

I worked something out directly through paypal for a decent price, and he shipped them yada yada yada.

I got the cars in and they were damaged and dirty.  I was going to send them back but particularly the 934 are very hard to find and after looking them over I figured I can fix them up.  The discussion was over shipping damage was a bit more then then that.  We worked out an adjusted price, however and I've tinkered with them and got them straight.  Overall they look pretty darn nice now, took a bit of work, so it ended up being a good deal.  And I finally had the Vaillant.  I'll not talk price, but the pair ended up where I would pay just for the Vaillant if it were in the condition I restored it to(not anywhere near mint in box pricing by any means).  So sometimes you just gotta get dirty.  I should of documented it but I'll put up some pics later.

They came in as follows:

#9 Budweiser 935 Complete no box.
-Hood graphics were scratched
-Car had a hard to remove film/grime that was like smoke film but not smoke
-knocked off splitter and bent
-Front mesh poked in
-exhaust broken off

Posted Image

But all in all, glazings were good, paint was very good, no issues with scratches or the tires, etc.

Went back fully cleaned the model inside and out with dish detergent, water, polish, air chuck, etc full detail job
Filled the scratches in the white stripe with thinned white paint and wiped the excess(still there but you gotta get 1' or closer to see it)
Bent a plastic spoon handle and went in and massaged the front mesh back to shape
Carefully reshaped the splitter and epoxied it on
Repaired the broken exhaust, smoothed it with sanding and elmers glue to re-fillet it, painted.
For all the issues, the paint was in excellent condition and all the windows are clear and undamaged, so looks 90% plus now

#9 Vaillant
-Rear side windows punched in to the interior
-Also coated with the 'film' of unknown origin
-Rear quarter bumper smashed in and in pieces from impact of some sort
-front corner rubber smashed in (of course on tow hook side) and warped-tow hook gone
-some mesh malshaped
-lots of little yellow blobs of old epoxy in the nooks and crannies, this may have been a rehabed car by exoto
-Mild paint rash on roof(I'm ok with it as it is a very old model)
-exhaust broken

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On this one, disassembled the model and soaked the body, the roll cage was expoxied to the headliner by whomever built it so it pulled it apart in the process-fun times.
soaked the body in detergent/water, cleaned and detailed the interior
accidentally got CA on the rear quarter glass myself!(was using just a dot to hold in place while the canopy glue(white glue for RC aircraft) set up.  So had to take it back out and sand it with 5000-18000 micro grit sandpaper and polished, looks as good as new
Rebuilt sanded and smoothed/repainted the corner bumper rubber, similar for the nose 'rubber' only I luckily only had to reshape that
Rebuilt sanded and smoothed/repainted the exhaust, although it comes out at an angle(should of checked it on the model first), may address that later but oh well
Went through and scraped out all the epoxy yellow blobs, reassembled the roll cage, made fillets and painted all the junctions.  Touched up any small items/scratches in the interior blackout paint so it looks crisp and clean with no visible turquoise inside.
Fixed a brake air-duct that was ripped free with new heat-shrink tubing
Reassembled, cleaned and waxed it.
Festooned a new tow hook from a red paper clip. If I have the time may make another 'exoto' hook, for now it looks like a Schuco :)

Other then the minor paint rash on the roof, the car looks new, crisp and clean.  The graphics are all perfect and the paint looks great overall. Again thankfully the glass is all clear and damage free(no thanks to myself on one window), and both models had every little part accounted for.  It's critical clear parts look good on a model.  It didn't take as long as it sounded, and was actually entertaining to work on as I don't model much these days.  I had a couple nights without classes and the wife was working late, so I had a couple evenings free to tinker. Thankfully I have a pool of dozens and dozens of specialized hobby tools and paints still squirreled away, like 18000 grit sandpaper at the ready :)  So all in all, still a steal of a deal, and I don't have to wait for the day I have $5-700 put aside for a Vaillant car mint in box, nor did I have to sell my Spark Vaillant car to pay for it ...

I'll put up fixed photos later

Edited by kevinb120, 07 February 2015 - 11:16 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   Stu72

Stu72

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1943 posts
  • Interests:Motor Sport, especially all things Le Mans
  • Favorite Brands:Make Up, Spark, TSM, Looksmart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

great work on rescuing these two models Kevin, and obtaining them at a bargain price. :10:

I've noticed some paint rash on the front boot cover of my Exoto #9 Budweiser 935. Not sure if there is anyway to repair this with all the sponsor logos surrounding it. I don't want to damage the logos
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
"Le Mans can be your worst nightmare, it can also be the best days of your life" - Tom Kristensen, 9 times Le Mans winner

#3 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Thanks!  The rash on mine gets close to the Vaillant logos too, so I'm just going to leave it alone. It's on par with a lot of older kyoshos, not the end of the world.  My garretson enterprises logo will be permanently rubbed on the hood of my budweiser car.  It shined up nice so just going to let it be. The bud car is pretty busy on logos, you're probably the only person that will ever notice the rash.

Edited by kevinb120, 07 February 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Nocky

Nocky

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5254 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, models, customized cars
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: nz

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Shame the models didn't come in the condition you expected them to, but you did a great job getting them up to
spec again!

Custom Diecast, Just DO IT!
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30951 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

The seller sounds like a complete joker!!

Kudos to you for fixing them up, I don't have the patience or know how, so I'd have gone nuts & told the seller to have them back.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#6 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Sad news Kevin, but congratulations on managing to restore them - you've got a couple of great models there! :10:   Sounds like the seller needs a good spankin'... :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Meh, the price was right all said and done, especially one of them that hasn't had a single one on ebay for over 2 years now. :nice:

#8 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

kevinb120, on 07 February 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Meh, the price was right all said and done, especially one of them that hasn't had a single one on ebay for over 2 years now. :nice:

Then if they're keeps Kev, just ENJOY!!! :twocents:   Many of my collection are of the same!

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   E34AG

E34AG

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1244 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Super Cars, Alpine Skiing, Cycling, Gaming, 1/18 Models
  • Number of Models:Ummm.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Maisto & Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

Well as you said you will repair them so it shouldn't be too bad. Although you paid a model in mint condition so...
Wish List:
- 1/18 AUTOart Koenigsegg Agera - Red
- 1/18 AUTOart Nissan Skyline R34 Z-Tune - Silver/Blue
- 1/18 AUTOart Subaru 22b - Blue

Newest Additions:
- ???

#10 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Trust me, the final price we worked out was well worth it :nice:

#11 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Here are the repaired cars, quick pics.  I just noticed I forgot to put my 'tow ring' back in on the 934.  Was contemplating making another one on the desk.

Posted Image

Gotta change the angle of the exhaust pipe at some point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   wrx_triggerhappy

wrx_triggerhappy

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5206 posts
  • Number of Models:Lost count
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, ERTL, SC, Greenlight

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Glad to hear you were able to work things out with the seller Kevin - and from the sounds of it well worth it. From your pics just above I can't tell there was any damage so my hats off to you good sir! Nice save for those two gems!
:occasion14:
Sam

Recent Additions:
Not much since the wife controls me and the money and the 93 octane isn't cheap!

my collection

#13 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Final pic of the Vaillant car

Posted Image

Edited by kevinb120, 21 February 2015 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.