New model - factory visit - DX Miscellaneous Hobby Interests - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

New model - factory visit

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   schuifelhoofd

schuifelhoofd

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5219 posts
  • Interests:Too much & not enough time
  • Number of Models:+220
  • Favorite Brands:Ertl, AW, AUTOart, Highway61.....
  • Proud Citizen of: be

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

Congrats on the license. Talk about taking the hobby to a whole new level!

We don't want specs! We wants to hear it! :drool5:

Sven's collection on DX
Sven's collectors registry (got list) on Scale18

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   wilmo

wilmo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:1/18 Le Mans
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

Wow !! That is one serious piece of machinery! I agree entirely with your write up, on why this car, and why this series to race. Being middle aged myself, I can assure you, I would not want to be competing with drivers who are doing it on Daddy's dime, they have no fear of their own mortality, and have little concern for vehicle damage, as they do not have to pay the repair cost. Finding a two seater and doing track laps with the best driver you know can be invaluable, I always amazed how different drivers interpret the same track differently, hitting the best line hard is the way to good.

After seeing your car, I suddenly feel less guilty about the CMC I intend to order!! Lol.
As for the Martini strips, you get my vote, painting the spoiler red would also be my do to list.
Cheers

#28 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:1/18 Le Mans Winners|Motorsport|Sim Racing|Family
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Spark, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Wilmo - and yes, it was one the biggest purchases of my life (although not much more than a family hatch, and nothing like the depreciation) - certainly model car funds are now much reduced.

I think if you follow the logic i had in my early mail - the list of series does narrow. Difficult to find cars that are fast, safe (seen a lot of open wheel racers go over each other at club circuits!), and race in a sensible clubby series where money and ambition isn't the dominant factor.  I think my choice is the perfect blend, but then i am a little biased.

On track time - yes, learn a lot with instruction. Am luck enough to have a boss who used to be a very serious racer, and now picking it up again with a strong first season in Formula 3 Cup.  1 mile down the road is a very very fast driver, with a scary ability to win on iRacing as well as in real life- he's helping a lot, and will also coach.  I love my telemetry, and video coaching also - there is a lot of help and support out there, and everyone so far has been incredibly supportive.

I'll be fine - i can drive a kart fast enough, but ain't happening overnight.
Aiming to collect all post-war Le Mans winners in scale 1:18. Even the gaps!

#29 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

Update on racing plans for anyone interested...

I have found a team to run me, which is a big weight off my mind.  Great value, comes highly recommended - and in the workshop is a gorgeous Group C Le Mans car, plus several other very valuable machines -so clearly trusted with some serious kit. They are  based near Sliverstone, so only a 50 min drive for me.

Whilst at Silverstone last week and went to GPR (Grand Prix Racewear- where most drivers in the UK get kitted out).  Guy asked "what do you need today?", replied "everything", and walked out 90 mins later with:
- Bell RS7-Pro helmet
- Carbon fibre HANs device
- Alpinestars GP Tech racesuit
- Spark 1/18 Audi R18 2013 Le Mans winner
- Alpinestars leather race boots
- Sparco Tide RG9 Gloves (love these!)
- Sparco nomex underwear, socks and balaclava
- A heart breaking bill

... obviously all of those items (all of them!) totally essential for next year.

Finally - the important stuff.  Found a graphic artist to mock up the car quickly in Brabham-Alfa Romeo style stripes, and even a cheeky logo that will probably get me sued.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next step - buy the VBOX video logger and telemetry kit.  I won't beat anyone on experience - but will invest wisely in the right technology and driver coaching to help me make up the gap...

Edited by Mizen, 05 November 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   CreepyVanMan

CreepyVanMan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3035 posts
  • Interests:Racing (all kinds) and Snowboarding
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, TSM, Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

All of this is extremely exciting and fun to follow. I'm excited for next year man!
"I used to play sports. Then I realized you can buy trophies. Now I am good at everything." -Demetri Martin

#31 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Reason why i don't have any models for modern super or hypercars:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sG13CTDMCXI

first group video of the "holy trinity" i know of - P1, LAF, 918.   Best time Silverstone national of 58.2 seconds.  Lap record for the car above (with a club, not pro driver) is in the 57s, for about 1.5% of the purchase price, and 20% of the power.  

I just do not understand anybody spending any kind of decent money on a super/hypercar and then tracking it -  when there are so many options for going so much faster for so much less money. Don't believe the hype(rcars)! :)

#32 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11491 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostMizen, on 11 November 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

Reason why i don't have any models for modern super or hypercars:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sG13CTDMCXI

first group video of the "holy trinity" i know of - P1, LAF, 918.   Best time Silverstone national of 58.2 seconds.  Lap record for the car above (with a club, not pro driver) is in the 57s, for about 1.5% of the purchase price, and 20% of the power.  

I just do not understand anybody spending any kind of decent money on a super/hypercar and then tracking it -  when there are so many options for going so much faster for so much less money. Don't believe the hype(rcars)! :)
Perhaps some people just want to show what they can buy, and tracking it generates a buzz. For me, it's about how well you can drive on the track and a Machine that's worthy! :nice:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#33 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

Went to the end of season dinner dance for the series last night - a very nice and welcoming bunch, who like a drink, certainly :)

Next year's calendar has just been announced - and has very much changed my plans and ambitions.   Now instead of feeling my way in and doing 4 races and a few tests, i MUST qualify for an International A licence by September 23rd (you get that by finishing 6 races in a year ) - because as you might appreciate, i am more than a little excited by that weekend.....

Posted Image

Going to be tough though.  No way am i racing at Cadwell Park in my first season - that place looks lethal to me, so need to do all the other races and if you account for the odd DNF, maybe some other races in a different series.  You can get one license tick per year by marshaling also, which might be fun to try..

#34 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

Really excited for you Mizen. By the way which series is this, and what is the (metaphorical) road to getting to where you are now in terms of being allowed to race?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

Also - those British GT supporting races I'm pretty sure means TV coverage for those in the UK (Motors TV), and potentially even highlights on mainstream terrestrial TV.  And 5k-10k people watching at the event.  

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not for a complete rookie! :)

#36 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostUzair, on 29 November 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Really excited for you Mizen. By the way which series is this, and what is the (metaphorical) road to getting to where you are now in terms of being allowed to race?

This is the UK Sports 2000 series.

To be allowed to race in the UK, you need a medical (done), a race license starting National Class B (done - you need to take a fairly easy written and driving test on circuit), you need FIA and MSA approved safety gear (purchased), a race car (purchased!), and membership of a club (done!).

You get ticks on your license for finishing races without penalties - 6 will get you a class A license. You can get max 2 ticks per weekend (for double header weekends - but even if 3 races, you can get max two ticks), you can also pick up one tick for marshaling an event. 6 ticks and I'm at Le Mans in September...

First test will be in March, first race will be on my birthday in April at Silverstone.

#37 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for explaining all that Mizen. Whew, even reading it was tiring - but it is clear that all those requirements do make sense. Safety is of course paramount. How fast will are your top speeds going to be? With 200 bhp and those aerodynamicsI imagine a top speed of about 200 kph, amiright?

#38 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:30 AM

Top speed - not sure, it isn't really the relevant metric for a car like this.  I think at the end of the Hanger Straight at silverstone with a following wind it would get above 150mph - but much more significant is the cornering speed, and braking performance you get from a 520kg car with slicks and aero.

In a video posted above the P1, LaF and 918 are tested at silverstone national - the lap record for this car is 1 second quicker than the fastest (P1); but top speed would be much lower.

#39 ONLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1649 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostMizen, on 29 November 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

No way am i racing at Cadwell Park in my first season - that place looks lethal to me

But you're OK with a flat-out blast round Thruxton?  :nice:

Seriously though, that sounds like a great season of racing on some classic circuits, and Le Mans is a heck of a bonus.  You must be dreaming about picking up the car in the new year.  Keep those updates coming!

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#40 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostMizen, on 30 November 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Top speed - not sure, it isn't really the relevant metric for a car like this.  I think at the end of the Hanger Straight at silverstone with a following wind it would get above 150mph - but much more significant is the cornering speed, and braking performance you get from a 520kg car with slicks and aero.

In a video posted above the P1, LaF and 918 are tested at silverstone national - the lap record for this car is 1 second quicker than the fastest (P1); but top speed would be much lower.

You are right, and truth be told that is the question I REALLY wanted to ask but didn't want to geek out too much. Since you brought it up, I'll state it now:

What is the turning capability of the car at low and high speeds? Just by the weight and aero I'd estimate 1.2g at low speeds with pure mechanical grip (ca 60 km/h) and 2.7g at high speeds, with aero contribution. I had a look at a youtube onboard vid of the car around Oulton Park and it looked like it was doing between 2.0g and 2.5+g at most in the high speed corners. Totally guesstimating of course, since the onboard vid did not have speed readout.

In any event the turning capability is of course what makes these "cheap" race cars faster than the million dollar hypercars. They have to comply with safety and road legality requirements, comfort etc. These MCRs are stripped down pure racing machines. I would love to drive one of these far more than a hypercar, since the driving experience is undoubtedly more intense. I can imagine the 400 bhp supercharged variant of the MCR being even faster and having a top speed of about 170 mph.

#41 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:59 AM

I don't think they sell many of those 400bhp ones! No obvious series for it to race and be competitive - more a track day car. I think 200bhp will be enough :)

turning G - absolutely no idea.  But just spent a fortune on a video data logger for driver analysis which has accelerometers, so next year we'll be able to see what i get it up to, at least.

#42 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I love the telemetry in race sims like F1 Challenge 99-02 and rFactor and analyzing it in Motec. I look forward to hearing your data logging results especially the g-forces when cornering and under braking.

#43 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Quick update - paying remaining balance this week and then hopefully next week get it trailered to PJM Preparation in Silverstone, where it will live.  Then need to get the seat fitting sorted, get the wrap done - and think about first test in early March when the weather is more predictable.

Had some great news on the calendar - Cadwell Park (really don't fancy that first season - narrow, dangerous, and no decent laser scanned version of the track exists on any of the main sims) has been replaced with Castle Combe.  

Racing at Combe on 17th July - think somebody above mentioned they were local to there also, so pop in and say hello by all means.

It's my "home" track, being 20 mins from where I grew up and have driven more track days than i can remember.  Quarry Corner is still notorious for one of the most prolific accident spots in UK (maybe even world!) motorsport, but at least i've been around it loads of times.... "brake, lift, brake" ... *never* brake as you crest the hill just before the off camber hairpin! Worth looking up Quarry Corner on youtube to see many people not doing that :)

#44 OFFLINE   wilmo

wilmo

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:1/18 Le Mans
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hi Mizen, Looks like 2016 will be a fun year in your new ride! I was looking at the youtube of the corner from the viewpoint of the bystanders behind the fence and it appears to slope away further increasing the likelihood of looking of the rear getting out on you, and as you say if you wait to long before braking, you're in trouble!

#45 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

So finally got it - received delivery last Friday, now stored at a workshop near silverstone with the team who will run it.

We think the pedals and existing seat can be adapted for me to fit without expense of a full molded seat - which will be handy.  Going to try next Monday and see how it goes.

Then need to work out how to install all the video logging stuff - have several manuals to bring with me on a long haul flight to vegas tomorrow, along with many other motorsports books ("principles of motorsport engineering" i am enjoying a lot!).

No decent pictures yet - but here it is just after being unloaded, and of the view this season (just replace "workshop" with "bend approaching very quickly").

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

She's a beauty Mizen, and the details on the suspension are amazingly realistic :giggle: You got your money's worth with this "model" :nice:

#47 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

"quicker than a P1" I keep telling myself - seems so weird to think that when you see it up close,  with the simple Ford 2 litre lump in the back.

In the Business end of the workshop there is a Spice Group C car with a Cosworth DFR engine.... Different stratosphere of complexity there!

#48 ONLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1649 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostMizen, on 28 December 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

Quick update - paying remaining balance this week and then hopefully next week get it trailered to PJM Preparation in Silverstone, where it will live.  Then need to get the seat fitting sorted, get the wrap done - and think about first test in early March when the weather is more predictable.

Had some great news on the calendar - Cadwell Park (really don't fancy that first season - narrow, dangerous, and no decent laser scanned version of the track exists on any of the main sims) has been replaced with Castle Combe.  

Racing at Combe on 17th July - think somebody above mentioned they were local to there also, so pop in and say hello by all means.

It's my "home" track, being 20 mins from where I grew up and have driven more track days than i can remember.  Quarry Corner is still notorious for one of the most prolific accident spots in UK (maybe even world!) motorsport, but at least i've been around it loads of times.... "brake, lift, brake" ... *never* brake as you crest the hill just before the off camber hairpin! Worth looking up Quarry Corner on youtube to see many people not doing that :)

Can't believe I missed this at the time, I've subscribed now though.  It was probably me that mentioned living fairly near to Combe, I'll put it in the diary.  That should make it easier for you to run enough races before LM too! :yahoo:

The car looks fantastic, with the bodywork off it's like a big bad-ass go kart!

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#49 OFFLINE   Mizen

Mizen

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

An update - still not driven it, but first test is booked at Castle Combe for 17th March. It better not rain is all I can say!  We have an airfield test agreed in principle as well, just need to find a gap in the schedule to fit it in.

Spent yesterday at Silverstone. First a 2 hour session at the iZone professional driver training centre, using a Cranfield university "very serious" simulator, at the Slverstone International track in a Radical (closest thing they have to my car). Is incredibly expensive being the cost of a decent Exoto for 2 hours, but incredibly useful.  They focus more on the mental approach and planning than driving, and I have my "race plan" for the track now - basically a series of cue words you use to prime yourself for each stage of the track and aid concentration.  Am convinced I will get more value from coaching like this then extra sets of tyres or work lightening the car.

Then went to see the car at the workshop, to take all the GPS logging kit and the dashboard home with me, so I can get running on the bench together with the video logger. I think I'll be lucky and will have the previous owner's data  - very useful artifact I can use to compare my results in testing and racing.   Have some spare cables ordered, and I'll be up in the next few weeks to finish off the installation.

Also stopped off at Grand Prix Racewear to get a spare set of Nomex underwear -  but also had a go on their new SimXperience Stage 4 motion simulator. Motion is fun, but IMO doesnt add much to a sim - you can *never* replicate G force, so better not to try is my opinion (reinforced by a couple of engineers I know). Nonetheless, was fun - and must be doing something right, as the leaderboard goes:

1. Oliver Rowland. Formula Renault champ and GP2 racer. 8 tenths quicker - so he should be, the real thing!
2. Bradley Phillpot.  VLN Nurburgring 24 driver, and wildcard entrant for Race of Champions where he beat Vettel. 3 tenths off, but he was slower first attempt, and came back a second day for another go!
3. Pietro Fittipaldi,  grandson of, and Euro F3 racer. 1 tenth off.  Using a pseudonym on the chart.
4. Me! :)
5. Johhny Mowlem. GT driving legend, and IMSA racer. 3 tenths quicker.

Whether speed in the sim can be translated to speed in real life... will know more end of March 17th!   Will be happy with middle of the pack for first season though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 ONLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

Well done with the simulator timings Keith (LOL I didn't know your first name until you posted this laptimes sheet). They even noted that you are rookie getting such a good laptime in the sim with the exclamation mark next to your normal series.

By the way interesting point you make about motion rigs - even one as good as the SimXperience Stage 4 - not adding a lot to the experience because of course the real high value and continuous g-forces can never be replicated (by very nature of acceleration requiring constantly increasing movement rate). I believe that the SimXperience folk have solved this by making the wheel stationary and the seat move, so for example under heavy braking your body is moved closer to the wheel and you have to keep pushing against it, thus simulating a level of muscular effort vaguely similar to that encountered in braking. I have no experience of such rigs, and was considering adding one at a future point, but now I am not so sure :)

Good luck with your first event, hopefully it doesn't rain and I am looking forward to hearing your experience of actually driving the beast.

Edited by Uzair, 21 February 2016 - 06:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.