Removing Paint Rash from Diecast Models. - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

Removing Paint Rash from Diecast Models.

49 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostBatman, on 04 November 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

Ashley, Do you have any advice on removing (krazyglue type) glue residue?

I just bought a model and it seems the previous owner reattached the rear spoiler/wing and left some residue/overflow on the paint in the boot/trunk area.

Thanks!

Perhaps this should be in a thread of its own... :twocents:
I take NO responsibility for this method Batman, but if you're desperate I found this reply at autogeekonline... to someone who'd got cyanoacrylate on his CAR paintwork:

Re: I Got SuperGlue On My Car Paint! How Do I Take It All Off?
Acetone will easily remove the cyanoacrylate - but be very careful, it can remove your paint, too!

Lightly damp an old T-Shirt (or Q-tip if you want more precision) with Acetone, and try a couple of really quick swipes. The Cyanoacrylate should melt immediately. Every swipe or two, turn the rag to a clean section, re-apply a small amount of Acetone, and swipe again until the surface is clean. The cyanoacrylate will be re-deposited onto the rag.

Try this at your own risk, as the Acetone could create a bigger problem than you've got on your hands, now!

Hope this helps.

Try it at your peril!!!!   :twocents:

...and sorry to 'jack your thread Ash..  :rolleyes:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Very nicely done Ash mate. Awesome work  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#28 OFFLINE   Batman

Batman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Batman, Beatles and Bond! Wine, women and song!
  • Number of Models:Enough! Enough is enough... but never enough!
  • Favorite Brands:Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels (Redlines) and Corgi
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 04 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I just bought a model and it seems the previous owner reattached the rear spoiler/wing and left some residue/overflow on the paint in the boot/trunk area.

Thanks!

Perhaps this should be in a thread of its own... :twocents:
I take NO responsibility for this method Batman, but if you're desperate I found this reply at autogeekonline... to someone who'd got cyanoacrylate on his CAR paintwork:

Re: I Got SuperGlue On My Car Paint! How Do I Take It All Off?
Acetone will easily remove the cyanoacrylate - but be very careful, it can remove your paint, too!

Lightly damp an old T-Shirt (or Q-tip if you want more precision) with Acetone, and try a couple of really quick swipes. The Cyanoacrylate should melt immediately. Every swipe or two, turn the rag to a clean section, re-apply a small amount of Acetone, and swipe again until the surface is clean. The cyanoacrylate will be re-deposited onto the rag.

Try this at your own risk, as the Acetone could create a bigger problem than you've got on your hands, now!

Hope this helps.

Try it at your peril!!!!   :twocents:

...and sorry to 'jack your thread Ash..  :rolleyes:

Thank you! However, this solution is too much of a solution. I've tried this years before on another model and it got very little of the glue out and a lot of the paint off. I do not want to try this on an AutoArt 1971 Mustang Mach 1, it's barely noticeable but I know its there... and that bugs me!

#29 OFFLINE   Retroclassics

Retroclassics

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 979 posts
  • Number of Models:30+
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, CMC, Exoto, AUTOart, Kyosho, Minichamps

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Thanks!

Hey Batman, unfortunately I'am unable to help you on that one as I've never attempted to remove glue from paint work before, however I did remove superglue from a rear windscreen on an Autoart model using sand paper with water and polishing products... But I've not removed glue from paint work before so I cannot recommend any solution.

#30 OFFLINE   jandro_f1

jandro_f1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2075 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Kyosho, Minichamps, Exoto, BBR, Spark, HPI
  • Proud Citizen of: cr

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Wow man! I will try this method to see if I can take the rash off my CMC 300 SLR coupe, it has started to develop some in the trunk... :mad2:  Too bad this wasn't out when I almost sell all my models that have this problem...

#31 OFFLINE   Batman

Batman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Batman, Beatles and Bond! Wine, women and song!
  • Number of Models:Enough! Enough is enough... but never enough!
  • Favorite Brands:Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels (Redlines) and Corgi
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

View PostRetroclassics, on 06 November 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hey Batman, unfortunately I'am unable to help you on that one as I've never attempted to remove glue from paint work before, however I did remove superglue from a rear windscreen on an Autoart model using sand paper with water and polishing products... But I've not removed glue from paint work before so I cannot recommend any solution.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. The glue spot is barely noticeable, most of it is covered by the rear spoiler. Though it bugs me, I've decided to just live with it. C'est la vie.

#32 OFFLINE   Retroclassics

Retroclassics

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

View Postjandro_f1, on 06 November 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Wow man! I will try this method to see if I can take the rash off my CMC 300 SLR coupe, it has started to develop some in the trunk... :mad2:  Too bad this wasn't out when I almost sell all my models that have this problem...

Sorry to hear your CMC model has developed paint rash, Jandro... A few of my CMC models have also developed paint rash which I need to sort out pretty soon, I've still got a few models to sort out before my collection is rash free, slowly but surely they will all be rectified.

View PostBatman, on 06 November 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. The glue spot is barely noticeable, most of it is covered by the rear spoiler. Though it bugs me, I've decided to just live with it. C'est la vie.

No problem at all buddy, yeah in some cases it's best left alone and if it's not that noticeable and your happy with the model itself then happy days, I've had to do the same with my Exoto GT40, it has terrible paint rash but if I try to remove it I'd cause more damage due to the areas the rash is in so I just have to live with it.

#33 OFFLINE   Captain Mars

Captain Mars

• DX Community
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Automotive, Music, Photography
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, GT Spirit, Kyosho, Ignition Models
  • Proud Citizen of: ph

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

I tried to remove paint rash on my f40 just last week, but instead of using polishing cloths, I used the Tamiya coarse compound and a microfiber cloth. Unfortunately, it didn't remove the rash. I will follow this instead. One thing though, are those polishing cloths disposable? I just hope that our local hardware stores has those.

Anyway, good job on the guide sir, and guides like this will surely help a lot of people. :eusa_clap:
Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31740 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

I received a model with clouding on one window (I knew in advance that it was there) after removing the window from the model, I knew I'd be able to make it clear again so I set to work, about an hour or so later on with my polishing cloths & some scratch x + Autoglym polish. I had a crystal clear window. Happy days!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#35 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

^That's encouraging Craig - thanks for sharing! :occasion14:   And well done!!

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5030 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

I had the whole roof area of a Universal Hobbies Renault 5 Turbo rally car with an 'orange peel' paint finish. It was very bad, and I decided to try 'T Cut' despite it being quite aggressive. It is worth mentioning that T Cut is designed for this kind of work on real cars. It smoothed the paint nicely. I was afraid it might be a problem with the roof surface itself, but it was OK. The paint finish was rather sorry looking, being dull and lifeless. Using the excellent Tamiya polishing compounds as detailed above did wonders for the shine, and a rub with Tamiya's own brand liquid wax was used to really bring out the gleam. I chose to use Tamiya wax because it reduced the possibility of incompatible layers going on top of each other. Luckily in this instance there were no markings on the roof, otherwise a masking paint job would be required if the results of the T Cut were a complete disaster. - And it was plain old black!  I would remind everyone that the paint finish (and the quality of preparation in the factories) varies by manufacturer, so caution is the order of the day. Try to test a part of the paintwork that won't be seen when on display, and remember that there are plenty of hobby enamel and water based paints that can be used for small touch up repairs. (Many are matt or satin finish so purchase a gloss clear varnish to brighten things up). You may need to polish the area again to blend everything in. Also - Tamiya polishing compounds can be used - carefully - with these hobby paints.....

#37 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 31740 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 28 December 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

^That's encouraging Craig - thanks for sharing! :occasion14:   And well done!!
Cheers Ed! I got a great sense of achievement out of it, it looks basically like new now :yahoo: I should say though to anyone looking to do this, it wasn't clouded as in sun damaged (that can never be fixed as the window will have changed colour) it looked like it had glue & scratches on it.

F**k you Photobucket.

#38 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2921 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

Excellent! Saving this for later.

#39 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

Just tried this on my old F40. Did not use the micro fibre cloths though. Just used all the compounds the used my own turtle wax ice to finish. Just look at the results.

Poor lighting on the pictures, But trust me, Its well worth ago. But as Ash said, Be gentle, It does take a very small amount of paint off, I mean a tiny tiny amount though

Before

Posted Image

And after.

Posted Image

Edited by Dave7872, 04 January 2016 - 09:35 AM.

Ferdinand Porsche.

#40 ONLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9123 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

I dont see the paint rash on the first pic, but Its nice to see that it works !

#41 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

Sorry, There was no paint rash, But i used the same Tamiya compound treatment, I did not see the point in starting a similar thread.

Also i added the wrong AFTER picture.

Ferdinand Porsche.

#42 ONLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9123 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

Ahhhhh,  I see the paint shining now ! :yahoo:

#43 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

Also, With any decals, Badges or names, Be very careful around them, As there is a slight chance it could damage the decal.

Ferdinand Porsche.

#44 OFFLINE   Retroclassics

Retroclassics

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 979 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostCaptain Mars, on 21 November 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

I tried to remove paint rash on my f40 just last week, but instead of using polishing cloths, I used the Tamiya coarse compound and a microfiber cloth. Unfortunately, it didn't remove the rash. I will follow this instead. One thing though, are those polishing cloths disposable? I just hope that our local hardware stores has those.

Anyway, good job on the guide sir, and guides like this will surely help a lot of people. :eusa_clap:

Sorry for such a late reply Captain Mars. The Tamiya compounds are used for cutting/polishing so essentially all they do is polish up the area whilst removing fine scratches, I'd think you'd have a better result using the polishing cloths. As to your question "Are the polishing cloths disposable" I'am unsure as to what you mean ? I've used the cloths a fair few times now and there is still a lot of use to get out of them.

@Craig - Good job there mate, those cloths do have many uses. I've been using them on a few things and have a had great results with them.

@Dave - Great result there, Dave!! Thanks for sharing. :occasion14: - As you mentioned about the decals and badges etc... Please do be careful as this happened to me a few days ago, I just finished "De-Paintrashing" a Kyosho Ferrari 308 GTB and on the final stages of waxing the bonnet the microfiber cloth ripped off the Ferrari badge which pissed me right off so I left it alone otherwise I would of thrown it across the room!!... PATIENTS IS KEY!!

Anyway here's a pic of the boot lid that was riddled with paintrash (I didn't take a before pic as i was in the zone ha!), after half an hour the rash was gone and I had a nice polished rash free surface.

Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   quattros8

quattros8

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts
  • Favorite Brands:minichamps,autoart,gt spirit

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

nice i have some cars with paint rash i will have to give it a try
thanks for the info very usefull :occasion14:

#46 OFFLINE   Pegasus Seiya

Pegasus Seiya

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 434 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Ghat a great post! You've certainly given a lot of us hope about combating paint rash. Bookmarking this thread. Thank you!
Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 31740 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

***Thread updated***

As Photobucket are now charging everyone for third party hosting, the original pictures are no longer there.

But, Eric has kindly allowed us to see his pictures & guide from his thread on an AUTOart Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 with paint rash, so please look in here,

http://www.diecastxc...25#entry3810770

Thanks

F**k you Photobucket.

#48 OFFLINE   Jyung

Jyung

• DX Community
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

Can I use the 12000 sheet to remove fine scratches on my model just like how you use it to remove the scratch mark left behind by the 6000 and 8000 sheet? Also, is the final part of polishing and waxing necessary if I already apply the tamiya finishing compound to keep my paintwork shiny?

#49 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1910 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

This is one I did earlier. Very thin paint so you have to be careful over edges but knowing how the Kyosho Ferraris suffer it does give hope for many models that suffer from it.

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2921 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

This is a fantastic tutorial, I followed the steps (sort of) and managed to save - I think - a true basket case car. All hail retroclassics. :) This method can be used to remove tampos from plastic parts and windows too, btw, although its much easier to remove rash from metal.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.