DiecastXchange Forum banner

Falango's collection

10K views 65 replies 18 participants last post by  Falango 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone. I've been collecting 1:18 scale since March 2015. I heard about an auto memorabilia shop closing down in town (not sure how I hadn't heard of this place before being such a car nut!), so I thought I'd pay a visit and see if anything caught my eye. I had thought about collecting diecast models before, but never did start until I walked into this shop. I spent a few hours in this small shop, carefully analyzing all of the gorgeous models that littered the display cases. At the end of my visit I walked out with the start of my collection, a CMC 1955 Mercedes W196 Monoposto, and a PMA 1999 McLaren Mercedes MP4/12 driven by Mika Hakkinen. It didn't take long to expand my collection to 6 cars, then 20, and as of October 2015, peering closer to 30, and I feel like it's only going to get even bigger (sorry wallet).

I'll use this thread to share my collection with everyone, and also have a bit of fun with some photography with what's in my collection.

Click the images for links to more pictures!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks ironsim!

First car I'll bring to light is my Autoart 2006 STi in white. It is one of my favorites, mostly because I have a 2014 STi in white. I have a set of these gold BBS wheels for the winter too, so if a STi hatchback diecast were ever made, I'd like put those wheels on, or whatever I end up having on the car. One goal I have with my collection is to own a white STi of each generation (at least what is available).

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Busy week, so it's a weekend update! I picked up 20 1/18s today for $200, pretty good deal! All Bburago and Maisto models with the exception of a few (AutoArt Panoz), no boxes. Apart from a few bent antennas, the cars are in good shape, so I think once I go through each one individually, I'll find a few display cars in there, and a few parts cars. The Challenger is MASSIVE! You can see in the picture it makes the Gallardo look like a dwarf. Will find out more about this one.

Also got a few more pictures of the collection. Some shots of my pair of Mercedes W05s, and the W196 Monoposto. Will try to get more shots soon with some more details!

#16 ·
Thanks! I do have a budget with my models, so detail, value, and the meaning of the model to me are important. Will hopefully be able to lift the ceiling on that budget a bit.

Went and bought another Bertby this week. Filled it out with all of my F1 and Indy cars. Replaced the old lighting with some softer lights. I need to get a few replacement shelf pegs so I can add some more shelves, and then I will probably add the same lights on the bottom pointing up to even out the light distribution.

#18 ·
Added two new models today. One of them is a variation of one of my all time favorite cars. I'll show that one tomorrow. First though, is the HWE 2014 Ferrari LaFerrari.

Once I took it out of the box, I noticed some cloudy bits on the paint. It was a bit frustrating to see that straight out of the box, so I pulled some wax out and polished it up a bit. The cloudy bits cleared up, apart from some very small sections near the rear of the engine cover. Also found some very small fine scratches in the side windows. Was hoping for a bit better than this, but all in all, it is quite a beautiful model to look at. In the next week or two I'll have a much closer look at it against some reference for accuracy, and will likely do some more shoots with it too. In black, it photographs very very well.

#23 ·
Thanks all! I really enjoy photography, and cars, so why not put the two together! Here's the other half of my purchase. An HWE 458 Speciale in matte black. I was hesitant to buy a matte black car, and such a glossy black as well, because I am so picky about paint, but I am fairly satisfied with these two! I'll tell you that I will never own a black 1:1 for this reason.

#26 ·
Picked up a new model from the post office today, but one I was not expecting at all. Mad props to preisman for sending me this, big thanks! Maisto 2014 Chevy Corvette C7.

I am a big fan of this redesigned Corvette. It really does make the C6 look dated, and in person, it is a very striking car. I had my eyes glued to a C7 Z06 that turned up at the local track when I attended a race driver training program, and so badly wanted to see it do some laps, but it instead showed off it's gleaming yellow skin.

#29 ·
The Corvette looks awesome. And I am glad you like it! I spent some time looking through your collection to find something I think you would enjoy, so I was relieved to see you like it. Congrats on the win again. And good looking photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.