Autoart 993 Carrera (Silver, Red, 'Riviera Blue') - AUTOart - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Autoart 993 Carrera (Silver, Red, 'Riviera Blue')

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blanchimont

blanchimont

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

There came a point a few years ago that I would be applying for unemployment, bankruptcy and divorce at the same time if I kept buying every new model that excited me. I had to focus on a specific theme, genre, make, model, or color to at least avoid the divorce proceedings.

My sickness eventually became the 911, more specifically the 993.

Back when Diecast models cost less than a square meter in Dubai before the first Starbucks opened, I must have bought every 993 ever made by UT, in every color. When the popularity and rarity of the UT 993 hit the climax, it was as if they discovered a layer of diamonds holding a vast deposit of petroleum made from unicorn ivory underneath my toilet.

Of course, the UT 993's are worth less than a slice of muffin at Starbucks now, but most of us still highly regard the UT 993's because the quality, accuracy, and feel of the UT 993 models survived the test of time (or at least the ones with the wheels not melted).

Posted Image

So when Autoart announced the revival of the 993 series with an all new mold, I was as excited as helium. Autoart was the perfect company to take the aging UT 993’s into perfection. I placed my pre-order long before the release and counted down the days. Like many, I wondered if it would be good enough to make my UT 993’s obsolete, like how most of my McLaren F1’s went back in their boxes with the Autoart versions taking their places in the display cabinet.

With only the base 993’s were announced, I wanted the sales figures blow away Jimmy Yee and his staff and force them to do every variant under the Arena Red sun. I wanted the reviews of this model to be like it was better than running water.

...which is why I waited a while before writing...

I kept wondering if I was expecting too much. I wanted to love this model more than anything, but every time I looked at it revealed a new disappointment. I wrote a fairly negative review on the Autoart McLaren F1 LM before but that was different. The F1 LM had a few inaccuracies but I never had a problem with quality. This 993 by Autoart felt uncomfortable. It was a victim of cost cutting as well as ignorant, clumsy flaws in accuracy.

Opening the box (which I absolutely hate, by the way… I like how they think it’s a good idea to wire the whole car up with metal wires running through painted surfaces and bungee cord the two doors together with metal hooks on the thinnest part of the car), was followed by a long silence.

Posted Image

There were three big issues I immediately had with the model.

First was the paint. What's with the bad paint at Autoart lately? Did GT Spirit steal all the bottles of clearcoat from their factory? I had to take out a few 964 models (same Autoart Millenium series) to double-check the gloss levels (which were fine). It’s as if the composite series is now the standard in Autoart paint quality. The details like the gas caps are crisp thanks to the thin paint levels, but even the most ignorant collector can smell cost shaving at work here. The almost absent gloss layer reveals very nasty ‘swipe marks’ and other paint issues that makes it look dirty. The metallic silver model reveals overspray metal flakes as well.

Posted Image

(from left to right : UT 993 RS, AUTOart 993 C2, GT Spirit RS Clubsport... the difference in gloss levels were much more visible in person)

Posted Image

Posted Image

(paint imperfections, swipe marks everywhere...)

The other issue I had with paint was the accuracy of 'Riviera Blue'. Both UT and GT Spirit never actually claimed this was RB, and it was surprising and exciting to hear that Autoart officially release this as ‘Riviera Blue’. RB is the most sought after 993 color in 1:1 and I know this color by heart. This was not Riviera Blue, not by a mile. The GT Spirit 993 RS wasn't RB, either but it's closer than the Autoart. Granted, it is possibly on the hardest colors to replicate, the color is simply too dark and too blue. RB in real life is much brighter with a hint of a green tone, and near pastel-like (think Smurf). The Autoart 993 is somewhere between Mexico Blue and Turquoise Blue.

Posted Image

(Riviera Blue in front, Mexico Blue behind...)

Posted Image

Then we come to the headlights... oh the f&*#ing headlights...

There is a triangular bone-like structure behind the lens that is too pronounced because the etching on the lens is nearly invisible. When the first photos surfaced of the Autoart 993, I thought the headlight covers were prototypes without etchings. To my shock, these were production parts. The lens itself is too rounded at the top, and the bottom edges have clumsy modeling that shows the body color. The GT Spirit headlights have two nasty tabs but they are miles better than the Autoart ones.

This is how it should be:

Posted Image

(the real thing)

...and this is how the models look:Posted Image

(AUTOart on the left, GT Spirit on the right)

Then comes the inaccuracies, quality control failures, miscellaneous rants:

For instance, the 'Carrera' badge position:

Posted Image

The silver? Off-centre. The Red? Too high. 'Riviera Blue'? Applied crooked

Three identical models with none that is in the right position. Simple quality failure on a model that cost $180 USD. Does anyone control quality at Autoart?

See anything wrong here? Yup. those washer nozzles are unpainted… along with another glaring mistake.

Posted Image

Front Badge location is too far rear, and badge itself looks comical with it's '3d' appearance. If you multiply the thickness of that badge by 18, it’ll be thicker than a footlong Subway sub sandwich custom made for the manager's girlfriend. What seemed odd is that the badge was perfect on their 1979 911. What happened?

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Autoart 1964 911, same Millenium Series model with a great looking badge)

These are decals. Yes. Decals. Oh, the shape is inaccurate as well.

Posted Image

The interior is the best on a 993 yet; however, you will be surprised to see the ‘perforated’ bit on the leather seats actually embossed, not de-bossed. The black interiors aren’t as noticeable but the tan seats look like it would hurt like a mother if you sat on them (it’s like very spikey ostrich leather). Cost cutting in materials and paint are evident here, although saved by good proportions and good modeling.

Posted Image

Is there anything positive, you might ask?

Yes. The wheels don’t melt when you touch them… hahaha.. I kid, I kid… I did think it was comical when I found myself very careful handling the wheels on this model.

On a more serious note, yes there is a positive aspect and it's a very big one. The big silver lining that may just be enough to cover the flaws for me.

One of my biggest complaints I had with the UT and GT Spirit is how the body felt flat. When you look at a 993 in person, the first impression is how organic and 'voluptuous' the body works. This is largely due to how the fenders roll at the edges. Other than a slight flat spot on top of the front fenders, the body looks very sexy… even for a narrow body 993. I can’t imagine how good a C2S/C4S/Turbo widebody would look if Autoart made it.

Posted Image

(The fender roll radius just behind the front wheels are perfect on the AUTOart)

The deploying spoilers were a nice touch, too.

Posted Image

...and a few more details:

Posted Image

When all the dust settled down, I did wonder why Autoart chose to do the 993 like they did. The silver and red colors seemed like very uninspiring color choices to me, and why on earth did they stick a tan interior in the Riviera blue? It’s not even tan, almost light beige… The tan/beige interior on the Riviera Blue does NOT look good. Silver/black, red/tan, blue/black, and green/tan would’ve made much more sense. Like I said in another post, I plan to swap the interiors with the green and RB cars when the green gets released.

Posted Image

The base model 993 is good, but there are so many other good variants. The widebody C2S, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, the Targa, the RS, RS Clubsport, the unofficial Speedster or the Turbo Cabrio… and the 993 had such a wide color palette. If they are looking at sales figures of the base 993’s to justify investment for future variants, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted Image
(the AUTOart silver is a warm silver like Arctic Silver, NOT a cool tone Polar Silver seen on the UT/GT Spirit series, it's more of a 'granpa's silver')

The price seems to be higher than most recent millennium models, at around 180 USD. That’s an absurd amount of money for this model if you ask me. The quality of the models nowhere near justifies the cost.

My favorite 993 model of all the ones I have up until today was the GT Spirit 993 Carerra 4S in deep metallic blue with red interior.

Posted Image

Posted Image

…and that still hasn’t changed.

The GT Spirit 993 C4S is a true gem, a model that really captures the ‘spirit’ of the 993. The daring color choices, the right model choice with the right wheels… the paint quality is flawless, the proportions are dead on, and the details are perfect. I still wish the body showed a little bit more curvature like the Autoart, but it still remains king, despite the fact that the spoilers or doors don’t open. I would recommend that model long before any Autoart 993.

Quality issues with Autoart is what really scares me now. I understand the cost issue but most of my complaints have to do with

mundane, ignorant quality control.

But hey… at least the wheels don’t melt on this one.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2922 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

Depressing read, but thanks for taking the time. Appearently the wipers are wrong too, made for right hand drive.

#3 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32531 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

Wow, that's quite a depressing read! I'm a big 911 fan (I have about 80 of the things now, I do find the regular 993 quite boring though) and I have several UT ones, as most of them cost me under a third of the price of one (and I still like them) so I'm sticking with those :twocents:

I'm stuck as to why you bought all three colours ? The price for me was a big turn off, I just don't deem the circa £140 a good price. maybe they'll drop at some point who knows ?

I love the GT Spirit C4S :drool5: I waited a long time for one of those.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#4 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 981 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for your time to write this review I was looking forward to someone doing it. I was deep into buying this 993 just needed to decide on color but your review made me having second thoughts. I noticed that oversized badge and wrong wipers position right away as soon as the model come out but it seems that's not all. I also noticed that the hood doesn't sit flush with the body once those metal wires are removed when unboxed, am I right? I think I'll postpone my purchase either until they discount them or hopefully make some other variants as well and possibly correct some of the issues this one have

Edited by ocz4life, 27 December 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Robert Drexler

Robert Drexler

• DX Community
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:37 AM

View Postblanchimont, on 27 December 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

There came a point a few years ago that I would be applying for unemployment, bankruptcy and divorce at the same time if I kept buying every new model that excited me. I had to focus on a specific theme, genre, make, model, or color to at least avoid the divorce proceedings.

My sickness eventually became the 911, more specifically the 993.

Back when Diecast models cost less than a square meter in Dubai before the first Starbucks opened, I must have bought every 993 ever made by UT, in every color. When the popularity and rarity of the UT 993 hit the climax, it was as if they discovered a layer of diamonds holding a vast deposit of petroleum made from unicorn ivory underneath my toilet.

Of course, the UT 993's are worth less than a slice of muffin at Starbucks now, but most of us still highly regard the UT 993's because the quality, accuracy, and feel of the UT 993 models survived the test of time (or at least the ones with the wheels not melted).

So when Autoart announced the revival of the 993 series with an all new mold, I was as excited as helium. Autoart was the perfect company to take the aging UT 993’s into perfection. I placed my pre-order long before the release and counted down the days. Like many, I wondered if it would be good enough to make my UT 993’s obsolete, like how most of my McLaren F1’s went back in their boxes with the Autoart versions taking their places in the display cabinet.

With only the base 993’s were announced, I wanted the sales figures blow away Jimmy Yee and his staff and force them to do every variant under the Arena Red sun. I wanted the reviews of this model to be like it was better than running water.

...which is why I waited a while before writing...

I kept wondering if I was expecting too much. I wanted to love this model more than anything, but every time I looked at it revealed a new disappointment. I wrote a fairly negative review on the Autoart McLaren F1 LM before but that was different. The F1 LM had a few inaccuracies but I never had a problem with quality. This 993 by Autoart felt uncomfortable. It was a victim of cost cutting as well as ignorant, clumsy flaws in accuracy.

Opening the box (which I absolutely hate, by the way… I like how they think it’s a good idea to wire the whole car up with metal wires running through painted surfaces and bungee cord the two doors together with metal hooks on the thinnest part of the car), was followed by a long silence.

There were three big issues I immediately had with the model.

First was the paint. What's with the bad paint at Autoart lately? Did GT Spirit steal all the bottles of clearcoat from their factory? I had to take out a few 964 models (same Autoart Millenium series) to double-check the gloss levels (which were fine). It’s as if the composite series is now the standard in Autoart paint quality. The details like the gas caps are crisp thanks to the thin paint levels, but even the most ignorant collector can smell cost shaving at work here. The almost absent gloss layer reveals very nasty ‘swipe marks’ and other paint issues that makes it look dirty. The metallic silver model reveals overspray metal flakes as well.

(from left to right : UT 993 RS, AUTOart 993 C2, GT Spirit RS Clubsport... the difference in gloss levels were much more visible in person)

(paint imperfections, swipe marks everywhere...)

The other issue I had with paint was the accuracy of 'Riviera Blue'. Both UT and GT Spirit never actually claimed this was RB, and it was surprising and exciting to hear that Autoart officially release this as ‘Riviera Blue’. RB is the most sought after 993 color in 1:1 and I know this color by heart. This was not Riviera Blue, not by a mile. The GT Spirit 993 RS wasn't RB, either but it's closer than the Autoart. Granted, it is possibly on the hardest colors to replicate, the color is simply too dark and too blue. RB in real life is much brighter with a hint of a green tone, and near pastel-like (think Smurf). The Autoart 993 is somewhere between Mexico Blue and Turquoise Blue.

(Riviera Blue in front, Mexico Blue behind...)

Then we come to the headlights... oh the f&*#ing headlights...

There is a triangular bone-like structure behind the lens that is too pronounced because the etching on the lens is nearly invisible. When the first photos surfaced of the Autoart 993, I thought the headlight covers were prototypes without etchings. To my shock, these were production parts. The lens itself is too rounded at the top, and the bottom edges have clumsy modeling that shows the body color. The GT Spirit headlights have two nasty tabs but they are miles better than the Autoart ones.

This is how it should be:

(the real thing)

...and this is how the models look:

(AUTOart on the left, GT Spirit on the right)

Then comes the inaccuracies, quality control failures, miscellaneous rants:

For instance, the 'Carrera' badge position:

The silver? Off-centre. The Red? Too high. 'Riviera Blue'? Applied crooked

Three identical models with none that is in the right position. Simple quality failure on a model that cost $180 USD. Does anyone control quality at Autoart?

See anything wrong here? Yup. those washer nozzles are unpainted… along with another glaring mistake.

Front Badge location is too far rear, and badge itself looks comical with it's '3d' appearance. If you multiply the thickness of that badge by 18, it’ll be thicker than a footlong Subway sub sandwich custom made for the manager's girlfriend. What seemed odd is that the badge was perfect on their 1979 911. What happened?

(Autoart 1964 911, same Millenium Series model with a great looking badge)

These are decals. Yes. Decals. Oh, the shape is inaccurate as well.

The interior is the best on a 993 yet; however, you will be surprised to see the ‘perforated’ bit on the leather seats actually embossed, not de-bossed. The black interiors aren’t as noticeable but the tan seats look like it would hurt like a mother if you sat on them (it’s like very spikey ostrich leather). Cost cutting in materials and paint are evident here, although saved by good proportions and good modeling.

Is there anything positive, you might ask?

Yes. The wheels don’t melt when you touch them… hahaha.. I kid, I kid… I did think it was comical when I found myself very careful handling the wheels on this model.

On a more serious note, yes there is a positive aspect and it's a very big one. The big silver lining that may just be enough to cover the flaws for me.

One of my biggest complaints I had with the UT and GT Spirit is how the body felt flat. When you look at a 993 in person, the first impression is how organic and 'voluptuous' the body works. This is largely due to how the fenders roll at the edges. Other than a slight flat spot on top of the front fenders, the body looks very sexy… even for a narrow body 993. I can’t imagine how good a C2S/C4S/Turbo widebody would look if Autoart made it.

(The fender roll radius just behind the front wheels are perfect on the AUTOart)

The deploying spoilers were a nice touch, too.

...and a few more details:

When all the dust settled down, I did wonder why Autoart chose to do the 993 like they did. The silver and red colors seemed like very uninspiring color choices to me, and why on earth did they stick a tan interior in the Riviera blue? It’s not even tan, almost light beige… The tan/beige interior on the Riviera Blue does NOT look good. Silver/black, red/tan, blue/black, and green/tan would’ve made much more sense. Like I said in another post, I plan to swap the interiors with the green and RB cars when the green gets released.

The base model 993 is good, but there are so many other good variants. The widebody C2S, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, the Targa, the RS, RS Clubsport, the unofficial Speedster or the Turbo Cabrio… and the 993 had such a wide color palette. If they are looking at sales figures of the base 993’s to justify investment for future variants, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

(the AUTOart silver is a warm silver like Arctic Silver, NOT a cool tone Polar Silver seen on the UT/GT Spirit series, it's more of a 'granpa's silver')

The price seems to be higher than most recent millennium models, at around 180 USD. That’s an absurd amount of money for this model if you ask me. The quality of the models nowhere near justifies the cost.

My favorite 993 model of all the ones I have up until today was the GT Spirit 993 Carerra 4S in deep metallic blue with red interior.

…and that still hasn’t changed.

The GT Spirit 993 C4S is a true gem, a model that really captures the ‘spirit’ of the 993. The daring color choices, the right model choice with the right wheels… the paint quality is flawless, the proportions are dead on, and the details are perfect. I still wish the body showed a little bit more curvature like the Autoart, but it still remains king, despite the fact that the spoilers or doors don’t open. I would recommend that model long before any Autoart 993.

Quality issues with Autoart is what really scares me now. I understand the cost issue but most of my complaints have to do with

mundane, ignorant quality control.

But hey… at least the wheels don’t melt on this one.

No manufacturer is perfect. I got a dark blue flatnose Porsche from gt-spirit. Driver car door handle fell off and all kinds of paint issues and excess glue. Never had a melted wheel, but I would never leave a model in sun light. Its fair to rate your own purchased models, that look like they sit in sun light. I wouldn't even let a real Porsche sit in the sun all day. There's no denying that models are way to expensive. I get far fewer models these days. Order from a store with a good return policy. And cross your fingers.

Edited by Alex SZ1996, 27 December 2015 - 01:09 PM.
picture quoting

#6 OFFLINE   Passion

Passion

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 470 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart / Kyosho / PMA / Spark /
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Super in blue....very very impressive with the contrast interior combo...

#7 OFFLINE   audirs6

audirs6

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Photography
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart and CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: si

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for so good review.. Interesting details I would never expect on that high budget model :(
It looks like I will pass the model..

#8 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9123 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

I didnt really want to buy the model but thanks for the review, I will not buy it for sure,  the GTS 993 looks better and the color too!

#9 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6726 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

super review, im moving it to the review section.

im thinking of getting a 993 myself, but not sure on which color yet

#10 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Geez It does not really look as bad as you described it. I am not the 993 expert that some are, but the Engine, wheels, interior, spoiler and general shape of the model look great to me, I would not pay 180 either, I preordered one at $130, and at that price,(not much more than what I would pay for the GTS here in the states) I am taking this over the GTS allday. It sucks that the blue is off. I can deal with a fat badge and non painted nozzles, wrong wiper location, bumpy seats and other little issues. I am just not that critical about toys. As long as the wheels do not melt and it is made from diecast as opposed to plastic I will have very few complaints. If mine has lousy paint I might change my tune, I like my paint jobs to be good, and they should be at this price!

Thank you for the time to write this review and I must say I got a few good chuckles out of it. Are you keeping all of them?

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14575 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

Very interesting review there, And quite sad TBH. I have bought the silver one and just sold my UT version in the process.

I couldn't agree with you more on the GTS C4S.

Posted Image
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#12 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12174 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the hyper detailed review!!! :eusa_clap:  I had planned on getting a RB 993, but now I'll just wait to see what my mood is when it's released. The decal thing was the worst part to read and see for myself :sad:  This model should be lower cost than a 130- euro IMO! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#13 OFFLINE   Vitzrsx

Vitzrsx

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, Welly, HPI, IG
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

It's a shame that autoart is bragging about quality only to act completely opposite (sounds like a hypocrite!). This goes to show why I'll stay away from Autoart new releases in 2016.

Thanks blanch for the impartial crackdown :eusa_clap:
Check out my collection:
http://www.diecastxc...sv-dec-24-2015/

#14 OFFLINE   Pegasus Seiya

Pegasus Seiya

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 436 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

Well-written review. Kind of glad I am not a huge Porsche fan because this would have been a must.  I am limited to top-of-the line versions so I'm anxious to know if AUTOart will release Turbo and Rennsport variants.  If so, I hope they learn from this Carrera and, most importantly, I hope AUTOart takes the time to read reviews such as yours so they can truly know to address these issues. Seeing the evolution of the 997 as made by AUTOart gives us hope some mistakes do get addressed (stance and use of proper hood/trunk hinges).
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   finalcut747

finalcut747

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Crushing it, bro.
  • Number of Models:120
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

So how do you REALLY feel about this model?

I have mine on order right now but reading this makes me nervous to get mine.
www.modelcitizendiecast.com for all my best photos.

#16 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

View Postfinalcut747, on 27 December 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

I think he made that pretty clear in his post.

#17 OFFLINE   finalcut747

finalcut747

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Crushing it, bro.
  • Number of Models:120
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostJosh, on 27 December 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

View Postfinalcut747, on 27 December 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

I think he made that pretty clear in his post.

I was being mostly facetious with my top comment. I am really disappointed reading this since a manufacturer like this shouldn't struggle with something as easy as the 993.
www.modelcitizendiecast.com for all my best photos.

#18 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:54 PM

O internet barrier Whoops! Hey if you like that is the only opinion that  matters, I bet you will love it!

#19 OFFLINE   guywithazonda

guywithazonda

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 3678 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: ad

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

excellent attention to detail in your review. As a 993 fan myself, I wouldn't have twigged several of the things you noticed.

#20 OFFLINE   EYEHAVEYOU

EYEHAVEYOU

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the detailed review. A little disappointed as I still plan on picking up the Riviera Blue one, but most of the details that were off I wouldn't have noticed - other than the headlights that is. Although I don't love the beige interior either, I still think it's preferable to black as it does a much better job on showing the detail. Grey would have been ideal though.

Here's hoping that AUTOart does more of the 993 lineup (turbo please!)

Edited by EYEHAVEYOU, 28 December 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#21 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

Autoart has stated on other forums they have no plans of doing other 993 series cars, but I do not believe them.

#22 OFFLINE   blanchimont

blanchimont

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the depressing read. I contemplated writing in a far more positive note, but I believe great forums like this should be a place where we can express ourselves and discuss our hobby together.

I agree with a lot of comments about being too critical than what the model really is. No model is perfect and I don't want to single this model out. I apologise if that lead to turning people off from buying the model (I hope I don't get kidnapped when I go to Hong Kong next month). People who know me personally on this forum know how much I support Autoart and how I think they deserve recognition for being innovative at a time when the diecast tradition is being disrupted by resin models. There were plenty of models released by Autoart this year where I was genuinely impressed. It's just that I felt like a lot of the models were being neglected in simple quality control for the price hike they have been quite vocal about lately.

Even people who aren't familiar with this hobby appreciate the difficulties in producing genuine brushed stainless finish in the Delorean or the real polished metal on the polished Bugatti's. They don't deserve criticisms for paint blemishes or imperfect surface quality on those models, but installing the steering wheel upside down or forgetting to print the license plates are things that can and need to improve. It is alarming when people start to notice cost cutting and quality control failures while increasing prices. I have no problem with the issues I had if this was a 130 USD model. At over 180 USD, it does make people question.

It really hurts that my favorite 993 is a sealed resin among 40 or so 993 models in my collection. I do hope Autoart does make other variants and improves at least the headlights as they are quite noticeable to even the general buying public.

Edited by blanchimont, 28 December 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6726 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

no, it is a great review, people should know these things before buying. i am still interested in getting one after reading the review, but i will take the faults here and there into account.

still, it is almost amazing how AUTOart cant get basic things right (off centered/crooked badges and logos, front wipers facing the wrong direction)

#24 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32531 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

I don't understand why the OP bought three (ok they are all different colours) but surely if it's as bad you say it is, surely you'd just keep one & send the other two back ? or return them all ?
The more I look at the bonnet badge, the more I see just how out of scale it is. I don't get why they did that :dunno:

By the way, I've done the same myself in the past (gone a bought a model in every colour there is) then I've realised that I should have bought other stuff instead, so I kept one & sold the others.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#25 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14575 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

I unboxed my silver one before, And my god, What were they thinking with that Porsche badge on the front??? Was the 1.1 badge like this. I am very tempted to remove it and just add my own decal badge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.