BBR Ferrari 288 GTO - Contemplating - BBR | Blue Moon - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

BBR Ferrari 288 GTO - Contemplating

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart/Minichamps/Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

So I haven't seen the Ferrari 288 GTO by BBR in person but I like what I've seen on various sites so far.  The "problem" is I already have the Hot Wheels Elite version of the 288.  Is purchasing the BBR considered an upgrade?  If so, should I sell the Elite version?  In general I try not to have similar looking vehicles in my collection.

Things that I'm thinking about is that the Elite is diecast, has opening parts and has relatively minor issues (wiper lifting off the windshield).  I'm guessing the BBR might be more detailed and accurate.  Big assumptions right?  I assume diecast would last longer than resin?

What should I do!?!?!  AURGH!!!  Thanks for any input!

-Moto

Attached Files

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8953 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

I think the HWE is a superior model. It's made from a superior material and has more detail obviously.

The BBR has good paint probably and a nice base/display case.

They're kind of the same, yet different. I'd stick with the HWE. The BBR won't give you anything that you don't already get with the HWE
I mod stuff

Wes

#3 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2820 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

In my opinion, the HWE 288 GTO is a below average HWE model, based on the old Hot Wheels mold, significantly worse than their newer releases. However, it has opening parts, that alone makes it better than the BBR resin.
So I would stick to the HWE for now.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#4 OFFLINE   AAR Gurney

AAR Gurney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Vintage diecast racing and classic cars from the 50s-70s
  • Favorite Brands:Amalgam CMC BBR Exoto GT Spirit

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I like the rear wheel offset on the HWE elite that you've shown in the photo;  however the BBR will have a metal front and rear grille work and the leather display-- solution, have both!!!  :rolleyes:
Lead lobotomy team physician and plumber

#5 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!  I was always under the impression that BBR would be more detailed even tough it doesn't have opening parts.  Also, I didn't realize there were differences b/w the older vs newer HWE molds.  The 288 is such a beautiful car in my eyes whether it's made by HWE or BBR.  At this rate, I may have to get both.  lol

-Moto

Edited by MotoFanatic, 26 March 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ssiddi2

ssiddi2

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

I had the HWE 288 GTO and sold it last year after looking at pictures of the BBR.  The shape of the HWE is off by a wide margin and in my eyes, it looks and feels like a toy.  In comparison, BBR captured the shape perfectly, as well as the lights, vents, etc.  True, it has opening parts but lets be honest, there isn't really much to look at under the hood as the engine detail was a lot less intricate in the 80's than it was in older models.

#7 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

There's also the looksmart version you can consider, as with the BBR it's resin but works out a little cheaper I believe.
Some collectors will be partial to diecast than to resin, I collect both so for me it depends on the subject matter and price.
The 288 being a special model, I have the HWE and will also be adding the BBR when it's released as it looks very good (prototype sample and official pics).
I'm not swayed by the argument that because a model is made from metal and has hinges that it's automatically superior. Both have pros and cons

#8 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30941 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

I've been looking at the BBR & LookSmart ones, maybe it's the pictures etc, but to me they don't have the wow factor :dunno: they look a bit 'meh' The wheels look too shiny on the BBR car & on the LS one the vents don't look so good.

LS
Posted Image

BBR
Posted Image

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#9 OFFLINE   ssiddi2

ssiddi2

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

the wheels on the real car were pretty shiny as well though.  

http://www.seriouswh...-Angle-4-st.jpg

#10 ONLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12146 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

If you can have both and put them in front of you,then you can decide if you want to keep both or sell one or even both,that way you are not getting rid of one model without seeing both at the same time.
I always remember when Danbury mint announced they were bringing out a Red version of the Mustang 1/12 model so a lot of collectors sold their White versions.Just as the Red version was about to come out Danbury mint stopped producing 1/12 models and those Guys that had sold the White and expected getting the Red one ended up with none.
Would be wise to get both then sell whatever models once in your hands. :twocents:

#11 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

Like Craig said...the Looksmart vents doesnt have any depth...but I like the BBR! But not at any price...

#12 OFFLINE   ssiddi2

ssiddi2

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

The problem with waiting to sell the diecast version until the BBR version comes out is that the market price will likely drop.  I think the price for a HWE GTO has already hit its ceiling and is on the way down.  Also, pre-ordering from BBR directly is much cheaper than waiting and buying one from a distributor.  Once the red one is released they will likely come out with yellow/white/black ones though.

#13 OFFLINE   georgelaw

georgelaw

• DX Community
  • 22 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

In my opinion, based on the BBR and Looksmart costs, the Looksmart model has the better quality/price ratio. In addition, just for my curiosity, I was checking a real car picture for compare the right proportions, and i saw 2 mistakes on the BBR model (maybe I will find more of them when i will compare other pictures with both models): the rear flap seems too curved, the black line between the pillar and the roof must be curved, not straight...
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!  Very interesting perspectives.

View PostPhatboi101, on 28 March 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

There's also the looksmart version you can consider

View PostCraig, on 29 March 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

I've been looking at the BBR & LookSmart ones, maybe it's the pictures etc, but to me they don't have the wow factor :dunno: they look a bit 'meh' The wheels look too shiny on the BBR car & on the LS one the vents don't look so good.

I've looked at the Looksmart photos and I wasn't as impressed.   It could be due to the photography.  I haven't totally ruled it out but is currently in third place for me.

View Postdrivinghermad, on 29 March 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

If you can have both and put them in front of you,then you can decide if you want to keep both or sell one or even both,that way you are not getting rid of one model without seeing both at the same time.

LOL Well, selling both is definitely out of the question but getting/keeping both is certainly a possibility.

View Postironsim, on 29 March 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

Like Craig said...the Looksmart vents doesnt have any depth...but I like the BBR! But not at any price...

So the question is, at what price is the BBR worth getting?

View Postssiddi2, on 29 March 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

The problem with waiting to sell the diecast version until the BBR version comes out is that the market price will likely drop.  I think the price for a HWE GTO has already hit its ceiling and is on the way down.  Also, pre-ordering from BBR directly is much cheaper than waiting and buying one from a distributor.  Once the red one is released they will likely come out with yellow/white/black ones though.

I agree with you about HWE coming down in price and possibly hitting its ceiling already but it is still the only one that is diecast with opening parts. The good/bad thing is that BBR will probably come out with so many different versions of the 288 GTO that it will probably drive down the value of the 288 market in general.  I'm actually surprised, from a marketing perspective, that they didn't come out with the other colors first and maybe save the most popular for last.  Does anyone know how many red versions they are coming out with?  From what I could tell so far, it's 300 with a display case and 500 without.

View Postgeorgelaw, on 30 March 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

In my opinion, based on the BBR and Looksmart costs, the Looksmart model has the better quality/price ratio.

But what if both are priced relatively close to each other?  Say within $40 or so of each other.  Though LookSmart comes with plexiglass and BBR doesn't so maybe not quite a fair comparison.  Would you still say LookSmart is the better "bang for the buck"?

Thanks everyone!  If only they could combine the best parts of all three, BBR, LookSmart, and HWE to make one ultimate 288 GTO....lol

Edited by MotoFanatic, 31 March 2016 - 03:37 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   georgelaw

georgelaw

• DX Community
  • 22 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

For the Looksmart model, I found prices about 80-100usd less than the BBR in some online shops... considering that the Looksmart also include the showcase, I am convinced that it is the best buy.

#16 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

I came back from vacation and had this waiting for me at the door.  Luckily it arrived the same day I came from vacation.  I ordered it soon after starting this thread.  I haven't had a chance to really sit this and the Hot Wheels side by side yet but was so excited I had to post.

Attached File  IMG_6856.JPG   113.29K   4 downloads

More pic

Attached File  IMG_6850.JPG   112.9K   4 downloads

The controversial wheel...  It's actually not as chrome looking in real life as it appears in the pics.

Attached File  IMG_6855.JPG   74.62K   2 downloads

Edited by MotoFanatic, 20 June 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#17 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:57 PM

Looks good :occasion14:
May I ask where you bought this from?

#18 OFFLINE   MotoFanatic

MotoFanatic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, not sure how the moderators feel about posting such info so I sent you a PM instead.

-Moto

View PostPhatboi101, on 20 June 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

Looks good :occasion14:
May I ask where you bought this from?

Edited by MotoFanatic, 21 June 2016 - 07:14 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   modelcar.hk

modelcar.hk

MODELCAR.HK

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 272 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Autoart, Danbury Mint
  • Proud Citizen of: hk

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Surely, I am happy with mine...even I have the HWE version.

Posted Image
My Die-Cast Model Car Collection: http://www.modelcar.hk

#20 OFFLINE   MSZ

MSZ

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:OttOmobile/GT Spirit/Spark

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

View Postmodelcar.hk, on 11 August 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

I saw this on your blog, this is the ultimate GTO to have. I wish my Looksmart version have better vents on the front bonnet just like the BBR does.

#21 OFFLINE   modelcar.hk

modelcar.hk

MODELCAR.HK

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 272 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Autoart, Danbury Mint
  • Proud Citizen of: hk

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostMSZ, on 11 August 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

View Postmodelcar.hk, on 11 August 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

I saw this on your blog, this is the ultimate GTO to have. I wish my Looksmart version have better vents on the front bonnet just like the BBR does.

Thanks, actually LS 288 GTO isn't bad as well.
My Die-Cast Model Car Collection: http://www.modelcar.hk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.