Aston Martin DBR1 (#5 LeMans Winner), 2015 release I believe - Spark - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Aston Martin DBR1 (#5 LeMans Winner), 2015 release I believe

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

From the pictures I have seen of the actual car, the model seems to leave a lot to be desired in terms of the overall shape. The details are great but unfortunately, the design of the Shelby Collectibles version seems much better (oh but the detail)--or is it just that the models are of different actual cars altogether?

I have looked at the model a lot, more so since I noticed it on sale, but am I wrong in thinking the shape is off?
(The 2nd image below from the correct time period seems to be pretty close, but I can't find images that show this body yet the car is said to still exist)

Or maybe the image of the version that looks good to me--I know there were a few body styles in the late 1950's, and #5, #6 and #7 in the last image all look better--but, perhaps not one of these is the actual LeMans winner?  Or could it be that the winning car was altered?

Further info here--
http://tentenths.com...ead.php?t=81151

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   finalcut747

finalcut747

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Crushing it, bro.
  • Number of Models:120
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

Awesome model! She was my last assignment for my client!
www.modelcitizendiecast.com for all my best photos.

#3 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

No not awesome, at least the Shelby collectibles version is not. I have seen it and not impressed, many have complained of it here and elsewhere.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   AOS

AOS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Why is this mandatory?
  • Favorite Brands:PIGs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:25 PM

Someone else on DX said there were proportion issues with the Shelby Collectables.

Don't remember how old that thread is though, but it was what stopped me from buying one.

#5 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Agreed that the Shelby Collectibles version is pretty rough--but the shape looks better compared to the Spark model--maybe if the 2 of them had gotten together.

#6 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1657 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

The black and white photo looks like the Le Mans spec. Can't really see anything wrong with the shape of the Spark; what parts do you think are off? The Shelby Collectibles version (like their GT40 MkIV) has a number of errors compared to the period specification.

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#7 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:04 AM

@spikyone, my comments above were more of a question--I agree the black and white picture looks pretty close to the Spark model.

So, perhaps a better question is whether the Le Mans winning version still exists?
I can't find a current picture that resembles either that older picture or the Spark model.

And, of course agree that the Shelby collectibles version is not at all in the same league.

Having said that, I like the shape of it and some of the 1:1's better than the Le Mans version--maybe I just wish Spark modeled some of the other versions as well.

#8 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1657 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:35 AM

OK I see what you mean.  The LM winning chassis does still exist, it just looks different to how it raced at Le Mans.  The car in your second pic, registered as XSK 497, is the winning chassis at Goodwood a few years ago.

I don't know for certain the history of the bodywork changes, but it is clear that Aston Martin were gaining knowledge of aerodynamics at this time and as far as I can tell, the spec depicted by Spark's model was only used as a low-drag configuration at Le Mans.  Drag reduction was certainly the reason that the car ran with the clear cover over the passenger seat.  The SC version is OK, as long as you accept that it's not how the car raced at LM.  I expect SC had access to the right chassis, but didn't take into account the bodywork changes.
I will also say that I don't think the Spark version is their best effort.  It certainly isn't bad and at €130 is pretty good value, but there are a few things on it that could be better and it's not at the level of, say, their Vantage GTE.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

That's good to know @spikyone, thank you.

Is there a particular source that you have that notes anything about the change in body design?
If there is an article about this or a site, that would be great!
(I'd love that for other models in general beyond this one too)

Part of the focus of my collection is on cars that raced but that still exist largely as they did in the past (the #14 Ferrari 250 GT Le Mans winner is a pretty good example)

#10 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1657 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

Afraid not, I've pieced it together from snippets of information I've found in various places, and photographs of the cars at various events.
As I understand it there were some rule changes for 1960 too, under "Appendix C" of the FIA regulations. The car had definitely been altered before Le Mans in 1960. But even the FIA website doesn't seem to have a copy of those regulations, so I have no idea what changes were enforced.

There's also a book - which I don't own - about the DBR1 and Ferrari Testa Rossa, which might have more details.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.