Looking someone who does photoetching or 3d printing - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Looking someone who does photoetching or 3d printing

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1404 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

I am looking for someone who does either photo etching or 3d printing. I need to make badging for my Oldsmobile 88, I will provide sizing, if someone can do for a reasonable price.  These are the two I need;

One of these

Posted Image

and 2 of these Holiday Badges

Posted Image

If not, I will have to make decals...anyone know a good ink jet water slide decal paper?

Thank you!!
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6745 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

i dont think this will solve your problem, but here is something related on PE making:

Mustang Photoetches/Custom PE Sheets

#3 OFFLINE   TALSCTSV

TALSCTSV

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 484 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

I would suggest photo etching over 3D printing for the chrome look. You would either have to paint or get the 3D printed parts plated to get that chrome effect. Though the 88 badge looks like it has some definition to it.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1404 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info gents :occasion14: .  I will follow up with that link Alex.  I would prefer photo etched, like you say Tal, it will look more realistic and likely come pre-chromed. I got  photo etched parts for my 1/8 Ferrari that had definition, fender shields and the like, so I know it is possible to give the 88 badge some depth.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#5 OFFLINE   Falango

Falango

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Photoetch won't get the depth and the curved surface though. Is it not easy enough to source them from a junkyard, eBay, or an online shop? 3D printing will get that depth, then an acetone bath and sanding will smooth out the surface, which can then be finished in a chrome spray. It would be a way nicer finish than photoetch.

#6 OFFLINE   TALSCTSV

TALSCTSV

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 484 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

Have to watch out with the acetone bath. Something that small will easily turn into a blob of plastic.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1404 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

View PostFalango, on 13 June 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

Photoetch won't get the depth and the curved surface though. Is it not easy enough to source them from a junkyard, eBay, or an online shop? 3D printing will get that depth, then an acetone bath and sanding will smooth out the surface, which can then be finished in a chrome spray. It would be a way nicer finish than photoetch.

Sounds like 3d printing would be the best then, not that I really am concerned about what process is used as long as it looks good.  I  may have to start trying to figure out how to make a 3d file as there seems to be a number of sources that will print it out for you and in a bunch of materials. Well I found one company so far.

View PostTALSCTSV, on 13 June 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Have to watch out with the acetone bath. Something that small will easily turn into a blob of plastic.

Oh I suppose yes as it is so small, I wouldn't trust myself hehe, my luck Id burn my self or something hehe.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.