Making resin wheels but what type of clay? - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Making resin wheels but what type of clay?

1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ryanlfc

Ryanlfc

• DX Community
  • 48 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

I'm trying to make my first resin wheels but when I'd made the first part of the mold and tried to remove the clay from one side of the wheel a lot of it stuck and it was near impossible to get it all off without ruining the mold. I couldn't tell you exactly what clay I was using apart from it was brown modelling clay. This could be the complete opposite of what I should have used but I didn't know. I seen somewhere that plays dough could be used would this be okay? Or is there any better things to use in the uk?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   mazspd3jase

mazspd3jase

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Cars, billiards, bowling, the outdoors
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit/Otto, Norev, Welly/Welly FX, Minichamps, & yes even Bburago/Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostRyanlfc, on 25 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I'm trying to make my first resin wheels but when I'd made the first part of the mold and tried to remove the clay from one side of the wheel a lot of it stuck and it was near impossible to get it all off without ruining the mold. I couldn't tell you exactly what clay I was using apart from it was brown modelling clay. This could be the complete opposite of what I should have used but I didn't know. I seen somewhere that plays dough could be used would this be okay? Or is there any better things to use in the uk?

From my experience, any form of material that will get hard or rigid is difficult to use.  Your best best is using a highly flexible material that will take the shape but will allow for the part to be unmolded without leaving any residue on the part molded.  Though it is pricey, you might check out these products from Alumilitefor part molding.  (click the blue "Alumilite" for the web address or see the pictures below.  I use their products to make all sorts of molds (body parts and wheels).  Be warned though, it does take a lot of practice and you have to be careful when mixing the products to avoid any bubbles and such.  

I generally purchase from a store here in the states called HobbyLobby because they offer a weekly coupon of 40% off a single item (each item pictured is normally priced at around $30.00 U.S).  However, I have also seen it sold in a few hobby stores in the Houston area...and I believe you can order directly from their website.  

Pictured below are a few of their products along with some of the molds I created and resin cast wheels (just the face parts - there's a whole other mold required for the actual wheel cylinder that the tires mount on and these wheel faces and specific mounting hub for whatever brand of model the wheels are intended for) are all glued together after the casts are cleaned up and painted.  I'm sure others have different processes than I do but for me, the process I created works great for me.

Check out there site...there are quite a few different products available.....they have other resins that set up faster, slower, etc.  different products for molding parts and more.

I plan to create a "how to" in the not to distant future on wheels, as I've had a few people ask me about how I create wheels.

Anyhow, hope you find the info provided helpful!

Posted Image

Various molds made and cast wheels.  Also note, I use these little mini glass cylinders from Ikea because they are the perfect size for wheel mold....and once the part
has set/mold completely dried, they will come out of the glass molds fairly easily(so the glass cylinders are reuseable).

Posted Image

web address and scan thingie

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.