1:18 Spark Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS - Silver - Spark - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 Spark Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS - Silver

19 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

About the car

Porsche announced the 991 generation of the 911 GT3 RS at the Geneva Motor Show in 2015. Compared with the lesser GT3, there are now louvres above the front wheels and Turbo-like intakes fore of the rears, rather than an intake below the rear wing. The roof is made from magnesium. The interior includes full bucket seats (based on the carbon seats of the 918 Spyder), carbon-fibre inserts, lightweight door handles and the Club Sport Package as standard which comprises of a bolted-on roll cage behind the front seats, preparation for a battery master switch, and a six-point safety harness for the driver and fire extinguisher with mounting bracket.

Gone is the 3.8 litre unit of the GT3, with a 4.0 litre unit in its place. Pumping out 500bhp at a screaming 8,250rpm and a max torque of 460Nm, it comes as no surpise that this 1,420kg road muncher can do the 0-62mph sprint in just 3.3 seconds and onto a top speed of 193mph! This car only comes with the PDK transmission, which I'm sure some purists out there lament.

About the model

The 1:18 Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS by Spark first burst onto the scene as a Porsche Exclusive dealer edition model, with such stand out colours as Ultraviolet and Birch Green amongst others. These are easily trading hands for £400+, so I was glad to get my hands on this Silver one for a more palatable £120. There was a lot of hype surrounding this model and consequently it shot up to almost double its initial listing price with the likes of CK Modelcars. So does this model live up to that hype or is it all for nothing? Let's find out shall we.....

Starting with the box, the model comes in a nice grey box with minimalist design - each side shows a different angle of the car in blueprint form in detail. Inside you'll find the model inside a polystyrene clamshell with the separate rear wing in a protective plastic case in a slot on the top half of the clamshell. This model is very well protected in transit for sure. Adding to that level of protection is a layer of fairly thick foam to dampen any movement from the model whilst it is attached to it's base inside the clamshell. Spark provides a large note of warning to let you know that you should glue the rear wing in place - for the purpose of this review I have just placed it in the grooves and I don't think anyone really needs to glue it in place as it fits very snugly with no movement anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is such an aggressive looking car with that massive rear wing, low ride height and big wheels. However, I really don't think this fairly bland and maybe even a bit dull silver paint job does the car any favours (the silver AutoArt 911 GT2 RS I have at least has the carbon bonnet to add a bit of pizazz). This needs the shouty colours that Porsche reserved exclusively for the dealer editions. In that vain, anyone who doesn't fancy shelling out those ridiculous prices will do well to wait for the upcoming GT Spirit version - hopefully they overcome their recent QC issues and produce a fine looking model in crazy colours, because they will certainly sell like hot cakes to the average collector.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Porsche and GT3 RS badges both look good and are centred correctly. The almost Zagato-like double bubble roof looks awesome as well!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The louvres above the front wheels are absolutely menacing and are cut into the body well. If I'm going to be picky, the sections where they meet the body could've been done just a little bit neater. There is mesh buried within, but is quite difficult to make it out. The rear intakes are nothing to shout about and one of mine was finished poorly inside with a big blob of paint present. The finishing around the edges where the black meets the silver is a bit sloppy as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The beast of a rear wing is really easy to slot down into the grooves either side of the ducktail spoiler. I found the paint finish on the underside of the plastic wing to be somewhat lacking, but once in place you'd be hard pressed to notice any issue, but the wing supports look ace. The faint Porsche logo above the third brake light is subtly done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Onto the lights now and I was a bit dissapointed in the front ones to be honest. Even after cleaning them for these pictures, they just weren't showing up nicely and then I realised that the insides of the of the lenses are poorly finished and not clear of blemishes at all! Looking at pictures of the real car, it seems Spark forgot the bottom bulbs? The rear lights look fine to me with a nice level of detail to the LEDs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking at the wheels, I keep getting this niggling feeling that they're set ever so slightly too far into the wheelarches - is it just me? The detail on the wheels themselves is really nice. Lovely paint job on the yellow calipers with the Porsche lettering and an air valve as well. Sadly no lettering on the tyres, but the RS badge is well placed on the race inspired locking wheel nut.

Posted Image

I found the interior detail to be hit and miss. Fronti-Art, with their Avanstyle Nissan GT-R NISMO I recently reviewed absolutely nailed the interior and should serve as an example to all. The GT3 RS graphic on the central screen is a nice touch, but just look at the white blocks for buttons on the dash - Spark made almost no effort here and the sticker wasn't even placed fully flat. Big big shame. On the redeeming side, the seats and seatbelts are pretty good and you'll also notice the attempt at white contrast stitching around the cabin. The yellow centre stripe on the steering wheel adds a much needed splash of colour to the otherwise bland dash area, but a shame that the black finish on the airbag area is coming away. Because of the way the instrument binnacle cowls at such an angle, it is difficult to see the speedometer etc., but they are present and correct.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The roll cage is another of those features that let's you know the track biased intentions of this car and you also get to see the carbon-backed sports seats from the 918 Spyder in this view. There is also a pair of GT3 RS logos behind the seats and beneath the roll cage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So what are my overall thoughts on this model? People probably won't like hearing this, but after all the hype surrounding this model and particularly the dealer exclusive colours, I'm left feeling a bit meh. It just doesn't excite me the way I thought it would. In real life this is an absolute beast of a machine, but I think this colour turns it into one that just blends into the background and you'll probably forget it is there after a while. As a good friend of mine put it to me, "I get the feeling that it would be at it's best in it's own display case on the top shelf of someone's office and it gets glanced at every so often" - and you know what, I'm inclined to agree.

I should also point out that my model arrived with very poor QC issues - wheels were all loose and when you turned them the brake discs and calipers turned with them so I had to adjust them with a fine tool to get the pictures correct. I will be sending it back for a refund and waiting to see what GT Spirit comes out with. In my humble opinion, this is a model that really needs an outrageous colour and for that I envy those that got the dealer exclusives.....just not the price they paid!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Diecast Fan

Diecast Fan

• DX Community
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Photography & LEGO
  • Number of Models:14
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels Elite
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Very thorough review!  I enjoyed it.
My Collection

Recent Additions: Maisto Audi R8 V10 Plus, Maisto 2017 Ford GT

Wishlist: HWE Ferrari 458 Italia GT2, HWE Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider, Bburago LaFerrari

#3 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostDiecast Fan, on 13 July 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Very thorough review!  I enjoyed it.
I'm glad - thanks for taking the time :)
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   MSZ

MSZ

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3247 posts
  • Favorite Brands:OttOmobile/GT Spirit/Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Excellent review as always! I am still waiting for mine, as ToMo still doesn't have them in stock yet. I can't wait after seeing your pics.

#5 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12082 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Sorry to hear that yours has QC issues...so, is GT-Spirit coming out with a GT3 RS too? :dunno: ...to be frank ALL of GT-Spirit's 991s have the WRONG roof shape(looks like someone stepped onto the roof and the  front windshield is too low, but the side windows are fine, so it's a weird look overall :gaah: ..even the targa's rear window is too squashed  :rolleyes:  So, hopefully Spark will release a better color and then for accuracy, I would go for that one instead of a GTS version my two cents Chaim :twocents:  Cheers mate! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#6 OFFLINE   technica

technica

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2695 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ricko... Anything goes!
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the detailed review once again. The QC is really bad on this one. The headlamps and center console are such a disappointment. The peeling of decals on the steering wheel and the sloppiness of the painting too. I hope you get a better replacement soon. And hope GTS does a better job on this one. :hope:

Check out my custom works at Technica's Portfolio.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   efirlar

efirlar

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: tr

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Great review. Thanks for all close up images.

#8 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

Well the QC issues aside, it looks good so well done! I will wait ten years for the Autoart version because I just think they do the best 911 models out there, period.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12855 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

Great review,it has some fantastic detail but also some noticeable bad ones,over all it looks a Beauty to me. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#10 OFFLINE   Kevinvh6

Kevinvh6

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 422 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT Models, Autoart, Hot Wheels Elite, Minichamps, Kyosho, Maisto, Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: mx

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

Excellent review, enjoy your model.

#11 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12594 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:14 AM

Tough review for a model that was roughly $150. I think it looks damn good for the price. As far as people spending well over $200 or more, that to me seems too much. And I can promise the GTS will not be this good. One issue that I do agree with you is the wheels; there are set too far in the wheel well. I think all street Porsche's have this issue from Spark. I think it ruins their models for the most part. They  did a better job than usual, but still looks bad.

So far, this is the best looking GT3 RS color. The blue is also really nice, but do not care for the red/orange color. I kind of regret not pre-ordering one of these. GTS will end up being the model for me.

#12 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

View PostMSZ, on 13 July 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

Excellent review as always! I am still waiting for mine, as ToMo still doesn't have them in stock yet. I can't wait after seeing your pics.
Thanks for reading :danke:.
This review reflects my opinion (some people seem to have forgotten that and don't seem to be too happy with me), and for me personally the silver does nothing to excite. Yet it is still a great model to have in your collection due to the massive rear wing, big vents above the wheels and that low stance. As long as you have no QC issues you will enjoy owning it :occasion14:.

View PostD N, on 13 July 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that yours has QC issues...so, is GT-Spirit coming out with a GT3 RS too? :dunno: ...to be frank ALL of GT-Spirit's 991s have the WRONG roof shape(looks like someone stepped onto the roof and the  front windshield is too low, but the side windows are fine, so it's a weird look overall :gaah: ..even the targa's rear window is too squashed  :rolleyes:  So, hopefully Spark will release a better color and then for accuracy, I would go for that one instead of a GTS version my two cents Chaim :twocents:  Cheers mate! :occasion14:

Thanks for reading Dave! I would also like to see a different colour at this price point - something a bit bolder and I would buy this model again with no hesitation!

View Posttechnica, on 13 July 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the detailed review once again. The QC is really bad on this one. The headlamps and center console are such a disappointment. The peeling of decals on the steering wheel and the sloppiness of the painting too. I hope you get a better replacement soon. And hope GTS does a better job on this one. :hope:

I bought it from CK and they don't have any more in stock and nor do they think they will be getting any more. If it comes back up at the initial selling price or in a different colour I would get it again. Thanks for reading!

View Postefirlar, on 13 July 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Great review. Thanks for all close up images.
Thanks for reading!

View PostJosh, on 13 July 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

Well the QC issues aside, it looks good so well done! I will wait ten years for the Autoart version because I just think they do the best 911 models out there, period.
By the time AUTOart release theirs it'll be a classic  :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#13 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

View Postdrivinghermad, on 13 July 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Great review,it has some fantastic detail but also some noticeable bad ones,over all it looks a Beauty to me. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :yahoo: :occasion14:
Thanks for reading Darren! Its a very cool car, but personally the silver spoils it somewhat.

View PostKevinvh6, on 13 July 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

Excellent review, enjoy your model.
Thanks Kevin! Sadly it's going back and CK don't have a replacement, so I'll have to wait and see what's out there

View Postpreisman, on 14 July 2016 - 01:14 AM, said:

Tough review for a model that was roughly $150. I think it looks damn good for the price. As far as people spending well over $200 or more, that to me seems too much. And I can promise the GTS will not be this good. One issue that I do agree with you is the wheels; there are set too far in the wheel well. I think all street Porsche's have this issue from Spark. I think it ruins their models for the most part. They  did a better job than usual, but still looks bad.

So far, this is the best looking GT3 RS color. The blue is also really nice, but do not care for the red/orange color. I kind of regret not pre-ordering one of these. GTS will end up being the model for me.
I agree it's overall a good model for the price, but the interior is a huge let down for me. Personally I don't like the silver much, but that's just my opinion. Thanks for reading!
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32238 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

Another good review there! :eusa_clap:

I'll sound very harsh here, so I'm sorry in advance for that! I waited so long for one that didn't come attached with a bonkers (in my opinion) price. I have a lot of 911 models, so I really wanted this one. The colour is quite nice, but I agree with you, it is a bit dull / boring for this crazy looking car! I just think that with the front wing vents & huge rear spoiler etc the colour needs to pop, and Silver doesn't really do so.

I am glad that you mentioned that wheels sit too far into the wheel arches, I noticed that too, I also believe that the wheels are just a touch too big.

The interior is a bit of a let down in my opinion, I know that I rarely hold a model up close, but as the dashboard & centre console looks like that, sadly I wouldn't want to look at it :gaah:  

The QC on your one is very bad & I don't blame you for sending it back (I saw that they cannot replace it, a couple of other sellers had it at the normal price last night)

I think it looks ok overall, and would look nice displayed, but when you get up close you can see that it's not so great :bawling:  Sadly they dropped the ball on this one.
Personally I'll be waiting for the GT Spirit car, hopefully theirs is better :hope:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#15 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:13 AM

View PostCraig, on 14 July 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Another good review there! :eusa_clap:

I'll sound very harsh here, so I'm sorry in advance for that! I waited so long for one that didn't come attached with a bonkers (in my opinion) price. I have a lot of 911 models, so I really wanted this one. The colour is quite nice, but I agree with you, it is a bit dull / boring for this crazy looking car! I just think that with the front wing vents & huge rear spoiler etc the colour needs to pop, and Silver doesn't really do so.

I am glad that you mentioned that wheels sit too far into the wheel arches, I noticed that too, I also believe that the wheels are just a touch too big.

The interior is a bit of a let down in my opinion, I know that I rarely hold a model up close, but as the dashboard & centre console looks like that, sadly I wouldn't want to look at it :gaah:  

The QC on your one is very bad & I don't blame you for sending it back (I saw that they cannot replace it, a couple of other sellers had it at the normal price last night)

I think it looks ok overall, and would look nice displayed, but when you get up close you can see that it's not so great :bawling:  Sadly they dropped the ball on this one.
Personally I'll be waiting for the GT Spirit car, hopefully theirs is better :hope:
Thanks for reading Craig and glad you enjoyed it :yahoo:.

I think we're very much on the same page about this model. I'm very much a details man as you've probably guessed and for me the interior is missing those crucial details. Yes, we may not hold them up and look inside too often, but on a long-awaited and much hyped model like this, you would expect something a bit better surely?
Thanks for letting me know other sellers have it - at this stage I reckon the price has probably stabilised and I think its wise for me to wait out for the GT Spirit version and see what they come up with. The silver really isn't doing it for me on this car, so I can be patient.
I got the Minichamps GT3 a few weeks ago, so I think I'm going to review that next and see how they compare.....stay tuned!
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32238 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

The Minichamps GT3 is pretty nice, I've had one for a while now, a few shortfalls here & there. I'm interested in your thoughts on it as I think we'd pretty much draw the same conclusions :occasion14:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#17 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostCraig, on 14 July 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

The Minichamps GT3 is pretty nice, I've had one for a while now, a few shortfalls here & there. I'm interested in your thoughts on it as I think we'd pretty much draw the same conclusions :occasion14:
I've bought 3 or 4 Minichamps models over the last 6 months when CK have had them on sale for £40-£60...for that price I think they're really nice additions to have, but I could never justify paying their original release price and you can always rely on a Minichamps sale at the German retailers :nice:
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   HAj

HAj

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 765 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Amalgam, BBR, MR, AUTOart Signature
  • Proud Citizen of: sa

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

thanks for the good review
Hey,,

Check My Collection in the Link Down Below

http://www.diecastxc...1/topic/118329-

#19 ONLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

View PostHAj, on 14 July 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

thanks for the good review
Thanks HAj!! :yahoo:
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   TonyAZ83

TonyAZ83

• DX Community
  • 10 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

I have this model.
The gas and brake pedals detached and were stuck on the side mirrors upon receiving it.(unglued)
After a while they fell off and are hidden below.

I really wanted a purple one with black wheels but AutoArt sucks at color selection and spark only made that spec in 1/12 scale.

The color scheme gives the model a classy if a bit bland appearance.

Comparing it to the D&G, BBR/MR collection and other brands I own I'd say it's 8/10 in 'wow' factor.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.