Rover P5b Coupe by BoS - DX Classic | Vintage - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Rover P5b Coupe by BoS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 960 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

My first resin model in 1/18 is the handsome Rover P5b Coupe by BoS.

As first impressions go, this model is quite disappointing. The bodywork has been badly prepared, leaving paint streaks along the wings.The window frames are rough and painted silver not chrome plated and the front and rear window glazing is poorly attached and ill fitting n "Rover" badging on the boot is not centred.

On the plus side, the shape and stance is perfect, the headlights and tail lights look very realistic and the photo-etched grill captures the distinctive P5 front appearance very well.

If you love the Rover P5 (and I do) and collect in 1/18 scale, then this is the only model available. And in 1/18 scale, it has a very impressive presence in the show case alongside other British classic saloons such as the Jaguar XJ6 and Mark 2 by Paragon. It captures the essence of a P5 in a big scale which is a new experience.

For comparison, have a look at the Rover P5b Coupe by Neo-Scale in 1/43.The Neo-Scale model has photo-etched window frames and side trim smoother paint finish, has extra details such a wing mirrors, etched badges and is offered in a variety of attractive colours.

The BoS model was made much later, and costs more than the diecast 1/18 models from Paragon which have opening parts.

I like this model, and understand that collecting a scale model car is not a logical or practical decision. I collect because of how a model makes me feel. But I can't help but ask where is the progress?

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 02 December 2016 - 10:03 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5879 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

If there's any reason you can't send it back, have you considered polishing with T-Cut or Tamiya hobby polish? T-Cut can be quite aggressive depending on the paint, particularly if you use it with micro-fibre cloths. Tamiya polish comes in three types: coarse, fine and finish. It's intended for models rather than 1:1 cars and I have been using it for years with excellent results (and the odd disaster).

#3 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12400 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made (Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

That's also one of my favorite British cars..sorry about the mishaps on QC...hopefully someone else will do a better diecast version of it :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#4 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the tip. I've looked carefully at other examples of the BoS Rover P5 and they all appear to have the same quality control issues. As the model is a birthday present to myself, I don't really want to part with it. Despite my gripes, I rather like the model. I can't explain why, but it just has character and it captures the eye in the way that only a 1/18 scale model can!

#5 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Yes, I was hoping for a diecast version too but the general trend of our hobby seems to be towards sealed resin models. Resin models are far simpler to make but when I came across my first Kyosho model in the early 1990s, and wondered about how models would evolve in the coming years, I never would have guessed we'd end up paying more for less details. Perhaps the diecast era will be remembered as a golden age and we'll have a new forum called "resinxchange"

#6 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 272 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Unbelievably...Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, I imagine it's only a matter of time before my beloved Rover 800 is released... as a resin, and I have no alternative than to buy it.

#7 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

What type of Rover 800 do you own? There are models available.

Edited by kitefighter, 02 December 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33063 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

The P5B is such a cool Rover, I was thinking about getting one of these a fair while ago, but the colour put me off. The QC issues make me sad, I have some BoS models and they are not bad, but they are not worth anywhere near the money they sell them for (I got mine in deals / sales etc)

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#9 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 960 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

I felt exactly the same as you about the colour. I've looked at hundreds of pictures of real Rover P5 cars and have never seen this colour. I will admit that the colour doesn't look so bad in 1/18 scale. But the model is poor execution for the reasons above.

#10 OFFLINE   Rust-MyEnemy

Rust-MyEnemy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 272 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Unbelievably...Bburago
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postkitefighter, on 02 December 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

What type of Rover 800 do you own? There are models available.

It's a '97 825 Si Fastback. I know the original Sterling was released by Corgi at 1:32 scale and there was a much smaller Matchbox offering (both of which I have) but I'm not aware of any others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.