I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN A GT Spirit model ! - GT Spirit - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN A GT Spirit model !

15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kido

Kido

• DX Community
  • 46 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hello guys,

Not long ago I posted my BMW M4 LibertWalk by GT Spirit that got problems with the windows, basically the tiny plastic just peels off.

Guess what? My new AUDI RS5 DID THE SAME! On all 4 side windows + a big mark on the chrome trim.

I contacted them and they did nothing about it, I start to get pissed off and to stay away from resin models in future.

I attached photos with both models.

AUDI RS5 bellow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW M4 LibertyWalk

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 375 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, Hotwheels, Kyosho, Welly and Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

I am noticing more & more QC issues with GT spirit models too,

I had to stick the windows back down on both my recent LB performance GTR's, also one had 2 bad chips on it and the other needed 2 new decals which they did send me.

It's not great having to do repair work on brand new expensive models.

#3 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9244 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

In the colder months these models go through a lot of temperature changes. They freeze overnight in a shipping container at a dock, then they're on a ship, in relatively mild temperature. Then they may be delivered somewhere hot. Either way, temperature changes cause contraction and expansion, which results in loss of traction by the glue, giving you things like the window trim coming off. Just glue it back

Edited by StratosWRC, 26 January 2017 - 01:27 PM.

I mod stuff

Wes

#4 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2395 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostStratosWRC, on 26 January 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

In the colder months these models go through a lot of temperature changes. They freeze overnight in a shipping container overnight, then they're on a ship, in relatively mild temperature. Then they may be delivered somewhere hot. Either way, temperature changes cause contraction and expansion, which results in loss of traction by the glue, giving you things like the window trim coming off. Just glue it back

Good point. It doesn't stop the disappointment of course, but it could go someway to explaining the causes. Sometimes, I'm astonished our diecasts actually arrive in one piece! :)

#5 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12667 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

It's become common practice to fix them after receiving them now a days,it's rare to see a model come without any faults. :twocents:

#6 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1407 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

My one of my singers  did that, and one slant nose 930.  I had 28 gts models, been selling them all down to just three I'm keeping, and buying up as many of the last diecast AUTOart model's that I can.  I'm over the love affair with them. And yes their customer service sucks. It's not to bad returning them outright but everything else is an exercise in futility.  

Always order two of what you want when going directly from them.  You can always sell the extra in a day if they're both perfect, or send back a did. The cs of a reseller is typically better then gts direct

Edited by kevinb120, 06 March 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3875 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

View Postkevinb120, on 06 March 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

The cs of a reseller is typically better then gts direct
Agreed, which is why I tend to buy my GTS models from CK nowadays rather than direct. With the 10% discount and easy returns/exchanges it's a no brainer for me nowadays.
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#8 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1367 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Many!

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Interesting - Not so long ago GTS were being hailed as the new Messiah, but it seems they're just very naughty boys after all! :omg:

M

Edited by snowman, 07 March 2017 - 04:38 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   blanchimont

blanchimont

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I never understood if it was a cost issue or a material issue for GTS/Otto to use these thin plastic films instead of the sturdy injection-mold plastic...

I first thought it was a resin material issue because even the very high-end Fronti-art/BBR/MR/Looksmart resin models also uses the same method (and yes, those have bad gluemarks and separate from the body like a motherf*&#@% too!).

(my MR Ferrari FF)
Posted Image
...you can see the windows popping out in the middle right there...

Posted Image
...wobble wobble... :gaah:

Then I see most of my resin Spark models that have injection molded windows/clear plastic pieces... so is this down to a cost issue?
Posted Image

If it is a cost issue, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to see some quality windows from GTS/Otto because those really bring down the overall quality for me.

#10 ONLINE   MSZ

MSZ

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3241 posts
  • Favorite Brands:OttOmobile/GT Spirit/Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Some resin models do have thicker injection plastic windshields, my Mark NC1 NSX and MR Huracan LP580-2 have them.

#11 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5135 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostStratosWRC, on 26 January 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

In the colder months these models go through a lot of temperature changes. They freeze overnight in a shipping container at a dock, then they're on a ship, in relatively mild temperature. Then they may be delivered somewhere hot. Either way, temperature changes cause contraction and expansion, which results in loss of traction by the glue, giving you things like the window trim coming off. Just glue it back
For 'glue' in such a situation I tend to use hobby gloss clear enamel paint. It won't fog, and gives plenty of time for positioning.
However, patience is required. You have wait until the paint becomes tacky (varies with temperature) and then hold in place until held fast.
Wherever possible, I try to pin the piece to the surface while the paint dries. This may require a bit of ingenuity to set up!
Gloves of some sort are also a good idea, they prevent smudges and finger marks.......

#12 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1407 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, TSM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

They use the acetate windows because they are cheap and clear for thin vacu-formed plastic versus investing in quality plastic molds. Just the tooling for one set of plastic windows would probably cost more then the tooling for an entire resin model.

I've been selling some of my older once-$79-now 'collectable' gts models and swapping them for signature AUTOart's, so I can't really complain.  I'm keeping some, and may buy a few others, but the honeymoon has passed with me over diecast again.

Edited by kevinb120, 07 March 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   protzenegger

protzenegger

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Design
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, MUC

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I get annoyed when I see a 1:43 with delaminated windows, not acceptable on a scale this size.  My BBR Levante seems to be holding up well, but I try to stick to 1:43 for any resins I buy.  Seen a GT Spirit Porsche in person as well, was not impressed.

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31916 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

The window 'foils' that resin companies use are the biggest let down on most models imo. Some of them just look so cheap because of that. And most of the time Chrome, just comes out as dull Silver. I won't buy those ones.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#15 OFFLINE   Ztune

Ztune

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:cars
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps, TSM, HPI

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

A couple of my HPI McLaren F1 GTR headlight lens have some of that issue going on.

#16 OFFLINE   Geron Huang

Geron Huang

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 320 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

I have 4 models now where the foil has come out and sent GT-Spirit a email and still haven't gotten a reply.Is it just me or GT-Spirit's communication has flopped.They use to reply to customers pretty quick.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.