spikyone's collection - Peugeot 207 S2000 (6th Feb) - DX 1:18 Collectors - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

spikyone's collection - Peugeot 207 S2000 (6th Feb)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1645 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

Thought it was time to start a collection thread as I've been posting here for a while.  I've been collecting models for well over 30 years, starting off with Matchbox toys in my younger days, then becoming interested in "grown-up" models through Minichamps' 1/43 F1 models in the mid 1990s, but for about the last 15 years I've collected 1/18s almost exclusively.

I've recently been focussing my collection on a British theme, which probably started with AutoArt and Kyosho's Andy Priaulx BMWs that won the World Touring Car Championship in 2005, 2006, and 2007, and most of my models are motorsport.  So obviously, I'm starting my thread with a Japanese road car...  :giggle:

This is the AutoArt Toyota 86 GT Limited, Japanese specification.  I bought this from DXer Shah (AutoIndulgence) in 2015, having ordered the real thing as my new road car.  As it's Japanese it's right hand drive, but it lacks the headlight washers that all UK-spec GT86s have in 1:1.  It's also the 2012 version whereas my 1:1 is a 2016MY, so the 1:1 has a sharkfin aerial that was standard on later GT86s.  The other difference to my 1:1 is the interior - I have red seats but not a red steering wheel/gearshift/handbrake/door handles.  Those are usually standard with the red seats, but as my car was built to order, I was able to get a non-standard spec.  Anyway enough of that, here are some photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The exterior is nicely detailed, and the paint is very nice for a metallic - they can sometimes suffer from over-sized flakes but I have no complaints here.  One thing the first photo highlights is the lack of a wheelarch liner at the back, leaving a strange gap inside the panels there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Headlight and taillight detail is excellent and very realistic, with the front LED running lights and visible indicator bulb in the taillights and front indicators being especially nice.  

Posted Image

Wheels and brakes are very impressive too, the brake discs in particular are very lifelike.

This is an old-school, opening die-cast, and where it really shines for me is the interior.

Posted Image
Posted Image

All of the vents, dials, and buttons are accurate to the 1:1, and I especially like that the touchscreen for the stereo is shiny (although the stereo buttons are missing).  The pedals are drilled metal.  In the second photo above, you can even see the three buttons to the right of the gauges that control the trip computer and dash display!  The model features rubber-like floor mats with the "T" markings that feature in a number of places on the 1:1 - I guess this is true to Japanese spec, as UK cars have fabric floor mats.  Underneath those, you can see that the interior is carpeted.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Some more nice details here - the "fender garnish" '86 logo is reproduced in full colour, and the interior has fabric seatbelts with PE buckles for all four seats.  The red panels on the seats are textured, which feels like flocking.  A really nice touch as it would be easy to paint a hard plastic.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The boot is carpeted but the doglegs and opening mechanism are not accurate to the 1:1; it doesn't open far enough either. That's a minor criticism though, and the real mechanism is a complex four-bar linkage that would be hard to reproduce accurately.  The engine is much better detailed than many of AutoArt's recent efforts; nicely plumbed in and with colours in all the right places.  It even has the "sound generator" pipe that connects the air intake to the cabin.  Apparently it was added to the 1:1 as the engineers felt the car was too quiet.

This is a really solid model for the price, and one that I hadn't appreciated enough.  For me, the real standout is the interior, which punches well above its weight.

Edited by spikyone, 18 July 2017 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Nice start, Its a nice looking model!

#3 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2820 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

A great review! Looking forward to seeing your collection!

Edited by ferrariforever, 30 January 2017 - 10:27 AM.

Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#4 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12141 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

It looks to have Great detail and your close ups are very nice to look at.A Fantastic addition especially as you have the real version,thanks for showing us. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14: :danke:

#5 OFFLINE   ///M meister

///M meister

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2655 posts
  • Interests:Cars, BMW, F1, New England Patriots, Aston Villa FC, TV, Movies, Pop! Vinyls.
  • Number of Models:Not enough
  • Favorite Brands:Anything 1:43 that I want

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Great model, I love the GT86. You're a lucky son of a gun to have one as your 1:1!

TOM

My 1:43 collection thread will be made soon!

#6 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11470 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

That really cool to have a model in almost the same spec as your 1/1 car!! :eusa_clap: ..also that's a GREAT model! I almost went with that color as I like the real car in that color too..but went with Blue instead to change up things a bit!! :occasion14:

P.S. very similar story to mine as far as collecting time frame and subject matter! :yahoo: :occasion14: Again!

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#7 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Great start spikeone - looking forward to what's next! :10: :hope:    
Just a thought, as you mentioned sharpening up your close ups,  do you have  macro mode on your camera?  It might help if you experiment with these settings - or perhaps use a tripod to reduce 'shake'?  
Also you can sometimes fool an autofocus by pointing the cross or square at something at the same distance away as your target then moving it across before depressing the shutter... :twocents:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1645 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

Thanks all.  The first post has been updated with a couple of better photos showing the seatbelts, fender garnish, and engine.  Eddy, thanks for the heads-up, macro mode worked much better!  I'm definitely guilty of under-appreciating the 1/18, which is very nice for the money.  On the other hand, the 1/1 leaves me with a huge smile every time I step out.

I'll say now - as a lead-in to the next model - that my previous car was a bit less exciting; I had a diesel Peugeot 207. Don't judge me too harshly!  The model here is Sun Star's Peugeot 207 S2000 rally car in Peugeot UK livery, although it was run by the Belgian Kronos team (which explains the registration).  The car was driven to the 2009 IRC title by Northern Ireland's Kris Meeke, and is shown here as it raced in San Remo, which Meeke won to seal the title.  For anyone not familiar with ralllying,  Kris has also appeared on Top Gear, where he drove the Bentley Continental on a rally stage.  I loved this car for being similar to my 1/1, and running in a great livery.

The model has one or two shortcomings.  It cost about the same as a Norev, but can only dream of having Norev's levels of QC.  And there are a couple of major errors.  Feel free to make up your own minds though - here are the photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The overall shape is actually pretty good; the stance is nice and the proportions look nicely captured.  The big problem this model has is the livery - pretty much everything you can see that isn't white is a decal, and they are very poorly-applied, especially that wonky Peugeot logo on the corner of the bumper in the first image.  This was the second of these that I bought after sending the first back for being even worse quality!

The front view actually highlights the worst error on the model too - in the "night" spec , it should have additional lights on the corners of the bumper, which are clearly missing (web photo):

Posted Image

It makes you wonder why SunStar bothered with the night conversion if they weren't going to do it properly.  The other big mistake is on the scuttle: look where they put the electrical cutoff and engine stop compared to the decals  :rolleyes::

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As with the GT86, headlight and taillight detail is nice, but you can see blemishes in the decals in all the images.  You can also see that the bonnet and boot pins are a foil sticker rather than proper PE parts, and that the painting on the light bar is not great.  There is some nice mesh in the lower grille and the Peugeot badge is well done.

Posted Image

Wheels and brakes are pretty good too, with a valve and painted wheel nuts, so Sun Star claw back some marks here.

Again, this is a fully opening diecast, so you get some fun stuff to look at inside:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

There's plenty of good stuff to see in here; the decals on the fire extinguisher and the CF on the centre console make you wonder why the exterior decals are so damn bad.  The seatbelts are plastic but not that bad.  And at the bottom of the second photo, on the co-driver's side, you can see one of the really cool parts:

Posted Image

They've re-created Paul Nagle's co-driver's computer.  And it looks good, too.  This is the kind of nice little detail that makes the hobby so enjoyable.
The door skins are textured plastic, rather than decals, in case you were wondering...

Posted Image

The opening boot reveals the spare tyre and all the seatbelt anchor points.  Again, aside from being a bit thick, the plastic seatbelts look OK.  The exhaust tip is plastic and quite shallow, but does a decent impression of being metal.

Posted Image

There's a detailed engine, too.  Having seen some photos of the 1:1, the engine bay layout isn't entirely accurate, but at least Sun Star went to the trouble of putting in some plumbing and wiring.  The mesh next to the Peugeot badge is properly perforated, although it's a bit too far recessed compared to the 1:1.

Overall this is a frustrating model.  I'd waited so long in the hope someone would make it, and it clearly has a lot of potential, but it's let down by some poor execution.  It's on my list of "models that need some customisation", so if I ever get a few spare weekends and a fit of creativity it could one day be the model it deserves to be.

Edited by spikyone, 19 July 2017 - 02:18 AM.

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#9 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12141 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

It started well then the detail let it down and as you stated it could have been finished better.Plenty to see on it though and over all it looks nice. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :occasion14: :danke:

#10 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2820 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for sharing. I think that this Sunstar is at the same level as the Autoart Ford Focus rally car. What is even better of the Sunstar is the real mesh! impressive.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#11 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

What a wonderful model by AUTOart and all the more special to you personally for owning the real thing. I wonder how that makes you feel about the model and the car in your garage.

Have you considered adding a personalised registration number to match your car? I've been adding number plates to my British models recently. Great way to detail up a model for very little cost and quite rewarding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.