Usps is driving me insane - Finally it arrived safe and sound... - FedEx | UPS | USPS - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Usps is driving me insane - Finally it arrived safe and sound...

33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

I am expecting a package from China which was expected to be delivered on 1/24(according to the online tracking), which has been 6 days already and the last update was:

Tracking History

January 24, 2017
6:47 am
In Transit to Destination,

January 23, 2017
10:03 pm
Departed USPS Facility,
FLUSHING, NY 11351

I was told by the rep that it was cleared by customs. From my experience, coming from New York to California should not take as long as 6 days. So I am not sure what is the hold up. USPS could only open an investigation to look into it at this point. Anyone else having this issue?

Edited by blieu118, 09 February 2017 - 07:44 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

Do you have the tracking number, and have you put it into the USPS tracking system? Once an International package clears customs, it goes into the USPS system, and the International shipping loses track.

#3 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Mustangs, cars, heavy metal, and heavy weights!
  • Favorite Brands:GMP

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

Sometimes international packages take a while. I've seen things held in customs much longer than they "should have", and as a buyer I generally ignore it and just wait it out.

But check this horror story out:

I've had a package lost in customs since mid-December, and no one can tell me anything regarding its whereabouts. I was the seller, and as you can imagine I got the bad end of that. Here's a rundown:

1) call to ebay, they claim I have nothing to worry about re: a complaint since I have the tracking info available. It's a transit issue, they'll have to be patient. I'm also protected by seller protection, meaning if they gave him his money back it wouldn't be out of my pocket.
2) next call to ebay claims the first person was wrong, and they're going to give his money back while NOT protecting me, so I'm OUT the cost, shipping, and they even still charged me seller fees. And if it's ever delivered, they can't do anything about reversing the $$ or making sure I receive it. They said the best they could do is ask the guy to ship it back. I'm suuuurrrre he'll be happy to do that - LOL

So...don't feel too bad just yet.

Edited by Ozz, 30 January 2017 - 09:10 PM.

My 1:1: Mustang showcar

Daily driver: '16 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

#4 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

View Postibj40, on 30 January 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Do you have the tracking number, and have you put it into the USPS tracking system? Once an International package clears customs, it goes into the USPS system, and the International shipping loses track.

Yes. As soon as it got exported out of the country of origin, I started checking the usps site and thats what it says above.

View PostOzz, on 30 January 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Sometimes international packages take a while. I've seen things held in customs much longer than they "should have", and as a buyer I generally ignore it and just wait it out.

I've had a package lost in customs since mid-December, and no one can tell me anything regarding its whereabouts. I was the seller, and as you can imagine I got the bad end of that. Here's a rundown:

1) call to ebay, they claim I have nothing to worry about re: a complaint since I have the tracking info available. It's a transit issue, they'll have to be patient. I'm also protected by seller protection, meaning if they gave him his money back it wouldn't be out of my pocket.
2) next call to ebay claims the first person was wrong, and they're going to give his money back while NOT protecting me, so I'm OUT the cost, shipping, and they even still charged me seller fees. And if it's ever delivered, they can't do anything about reversing the $$ or making sure I receive it. They said the best they could do is ask the guy to ship it back. I'm suuuurrrre he'll be happy to do that - LOL

Wow what a horrible experience. Sorry to hear that. Yea right like the buyer would be shipping it back. Not saying everyone is dishonest but you never know...sorry to hear about that. I hope it is me being over worried...

#5 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4151 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ebbro IXO
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image
I had purchased a pair of 1/20 bicycles for a diorama from a seller last February. After much requests, she gave me a tracking number. Since there was no movement, I kept requesting the seller to enquire with the post office. Finally after a month, I opened a case with PayPal and got my money back, though I lost about 10% to bank fees.
Almost a year now and the tracking still shows as 'In transit to destination'. I have not lost hope yet.
I know Kung-fu
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#6 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

Now you got me worried lol

#7 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

View Postblieu118, on 30 January 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Yes. As soon as it got exported out of the country of origin, I started checking the usps site and thats what it says above.

Okay, well, Good Luck!

#8 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

No update yet since it said "In Transit to Destination..." last 7 days ago...this is unusual.

My local post office called and basically said "your package is coming from New York to you but we have not received any updates yet". Duh!? It does not take rocket science to figure it out. I could see that online myself. I don't need the guy to tell me that it is in transit from NY. What a joke...

I am helpless and running out of patience now. This is a bad surprise considering my last two orders from the same seller/location arrived promptly in only 8 days. This time it has been taken 15 days and still says "in transit..." :(

Edited by blieu118, 01 February 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

View Postblieu118, on 30 January 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostOzz, on 30 January 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Wow what a horrible experience. Sorry to hear that. Yea right like the buyer would be shipping it back. Not saying everyone is dishonest but you never know...sorry to hear about that. I hope it is me being over worried...

I've shipped hundreds of international packages in my years, and this is the first one that has gone missing so far. I'd say that's very unlikely, though I have had them arrive (to me and from me) up to WEEKS late. The customs clearance/movement is the worst part, for some reason they can sit and sit and nobody ever has any explanation as to why.

With the USPS, after a certain amount of days they can open an investigation to search for the package. That so far has done me no good, but have you inquired about that yet? If not, 1-800-ASK-USPS is the way to go. You may have to wait a little longer for that though, and if the package was shipped w/First Class Mail they might not be able to do anything unless you had it Certified. Otherwise they can help w/Priority Mail level service.

#10 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hi Ozz,

Yes I have called the 1800-ASKUSPS and they opened an investigation and I got a call from my local post office told me the same info I could track online as I said above which did not help at all. I insisted him to call the facility in NY and he said he would try. The package was mail China post through EMS. What else can I do?

Edited by blieu118, 01 February 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postblieu118, on 01 February 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Hi Ozz,

Yes I have called the 1800-ASKUSPS and they opened an investigation and I got a call from my local post office told me the same info I could track online as I said above which did not help at all. I insisted him to call the facility in NY and he said he would try. The package was mail China post through EMS. What else can I do?

When I went through my ordeal, the only thing further they could suggest would be to have the person on the other end attempt to reach out to the customs center in his country. I asked mine to do so, figuring he wouldn't care to bother, but he said he did. It sounded to me like he just reached out to his postal service (NOT customs), and so I didn't push the matter.

Beyond that, they say to just wait. I'm half expecting this thing arrives beaten to hell and back on my doorstep with a "return to sender" sticker for some reason. I think there are certain services that insure the value of the package, whether it be insurance (obviously) or certified mail. Did you use any of those services? I didn't, so I'm just out of luck unless it ever shows back up. I'm over it now, it caused me more aggravation, frustration, and anger than it was worth ($150+the ebay fees). Though I'm over it, at the end of the day that money could have been better spent doing literally ANYTHING ELSE instead of essentially throwing it away. The fact that I got the runaround from ebay (from "we'll protect you as a seller, don't worry!" to "oh, well you're out of luck since it wasn't delivered. even though you sent it...too bad.") just sent me over the edge.

#12 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

I am the buyer so I am not sure if it was insured with other services you mentioned. The package has been cleared with customs many days ago as the USPS rep said so I am not sure what is the hold up. I have a bad feeling about this one since it says in transit and that means it is on its way but it is not moving anywhere at all. It is in the black hole some where who knows...it is very frustrating experience...

In the past with my other delays at least the tracking said its being held with customs but this time it is very vague since "in transit to destination" does not really tell me where it is...

#13 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

View Postblieu118, on 01 February 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

I am the buyer so I am not sure if it was insured with other services you mentioned. The package has been cleared with customs many days ago as the USPS rep said so I am not sure what is the hold up. I have a bad feeling about this one since it says in transit and that means it is on its way but it is not moving anywhere at all. It is in the black hole some where who knows...it is very frustrating experience...

In the past with my other delays at least the tracking said its being held with customs but this time it is very vague since "in transit to destination" does not really tell me where it is...

Where did it clear customs?  I've had stuff come into New Jersey, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle.  Each one has it's own "timing".

#14 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

This is what it says from the beginning to now:

Tracking History

January 24, 2017
In Transit to Destination,
January 23, 2017
Departed USPS Facility,
FLUSHING, NY 11351

January 23, 2017
Arrived at USPS Facility,
FLUSHING, NY 11351

January 21, 2017
8:41 am
Processed Through Facility,
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment,
January 17, 2017
9:40 am
Processed Through Facility,
SHENZHEN EMS, CHINA

January 16, 2017
6:57 pm
Acceptance,
CHINA

I just compared this tracking with the last one I ordered from the same seller/location. The last one routed to ISC in los Angeles but this one I am expecting was routed to ISC in NY. Why are they different since it was shipped from the same location?

Edited by blieu118, 01 February 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

No clue. If we can take anything away from my story, it's that no matter what happens chances are you're going to be OK in the end ;)

For a laugh, here's the tracking as of today for my package I sent mid-Dec:

Tracking #:
LK008143504US

Carrier:

USPS

ACCEPTEDIN TRANSITDELIVEREDPosted Image

Arrived at USPS Facility
2016-12-14, 11:34:00, CHICAGO, IL 60666

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
2016-12-14, 10:19:00, CANTON, MI 48187

#16 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

USPS tracking is a joke...

#17 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

View Postblieu118, on 02 February 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

USPS tracking is a joke...

I agree BUT ever since its inception it was only meant to be "delivery confirmation". It still basically is. remember those old days when it wasn't even as good as it is now, and people would be complaining non-stop like it's supposed to be UPS. But of course they never want to pay UPS prices for shipping (usually it's more expensive, but not always). As far as international shipping goes, once it's in the world of customs offices all bets are off. That IMO is the real nightmare, there should be some better collaboration between the two companies. Or the customs offices should have some sort of accountability for themselves. What a racket they have going on there, that's for sure. They just completely absolve themselves of everything and what can anybody do about it? By the time they spend countless hours going back and forth arguing about it it's not even worth continuing on. Arrgh!

#18 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

So someone from the usps got back to me and told me that based on their investigation, the package was sent as a first class mail and therefore the tracking from the seller is not a tracking number since firstclass does not have tracking but it serves as a number for the customs to be used. Wth is she talking about here? I have ordered small items and they were sent via first class and i was able to track them. She then told me nothing I could do at this point and told me to file a dispute with whoever I used to pay the item with. It sounds like usps is trying to dump everything on me and the seller instead of actually doing their work to investigate. This is totally nonsense to me. This is a model car which weights at least two pounds and its packing box dimension is 17x9x9 inches which is way too big and impossible to be sent as first class mail.

I told the seller whatever usps told me and he said he will wait for EMS to get back to him.

I don't know what else I could do. I have called them many times and it seems to come back to me with no resolution...any suggestions?

#19 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

That's exactly what I said would happen. Dealt w/that many times with buyers who want me to perform magic tricks to solve a 3rd party company's issues (also been on the wrong side of it as a buyer, so I can relate to both sides). I was really hoping you would find better luck than I've had lately but am sorry to see that you haven't yet.

FWIW, USPS International First Class Mail has higher weight limits (4lbs.) than domestic US packages .  I'm not sure how that works when sending from another country to the US, but there must be similar practices. Not sure how the USPS would be helpful at that point either, never had to bother with that one yet.

Regarding the tracking/customs number thing...like I said even the domestic "tracking numbers" originated as simple "delivery confirmation" and were meant to be only that. Over the years it's gotten better, but is still not fool-proof. Labels don't get scanned in one place and it's pretty much useless until delivery. Only thing one can do at that point is confirm their package has been delivered...after it's been delivered. That's only helpful if you NEVER receive it but the delivery confirmation says otherwise, and you can complain about that. Believe it or not I had this happen to me a couple months ago! At first I figured they scanned it early and missed delivery, but it didn't arrive the next day either. I gave it another day and then called USPS to ask WTF was up. They said they could request re-delivery, which I figured wasn't going to help. I figured it was delivered to the wrong house and that was that. Lo and behold, I think the next day it was delivered! Talk about a surprise.

But anyway, back to the customs # not being a tracking number...TRACKING by the retail definition is meant for up-to-the-minute updates and an ability to do at at-will search for parcecl whereabouts. The customs # is a simple, lowly method to keep track of parcels coming in and out of a country. It's not meant to replace tracking. Like I said in my prior post, it's a cheap cop-out to alleviate responsibility and at the end of the day it covers their azz so they can essentially not have to do anything about any problems. I'm sure people can complain enough and see results, but the % of those are probably worth their paying out $$ to cover the costs compared to what they get away with.

Shoot, I had a box of collectible drink cans delivered internationally, and it was beat to hell AND leaking. Why they delivered it like that was amazing in the first place, but after the buyer sent me photos and I tried to get an insurance claim, I was denied. Worst part is they accepted my claim, sent me multiple forms to fill out (again), and then when I submitted them they f'n denied it. I appealed and never heard back. Talk about ridiculous, it looked like box thing got run over by a truck!

I guess what I'm saying is...don't be surprised at any runaround. It's not RIGHT, but it is natural. My advice is do what you can to get them to help or resolve, but be prepared to get over it and deal w/the seller. Worst case scenario, again as I have said already, you as the buyer have the upper hand here and can open a complain with Paypal (or even ebay if you went that route) and basically give him the shaft. How do I know? I've been given the shaft many times to the point where I almost am quitting shipping First Class Internationally and giving up on all the buyers who I will lose because they don't want to spend 20-40% more to ship with Priority Mail.

But yeah, long story short the the customs # isn't a tracking #. It can be used to track a package but it's not meant to provide real-time details. Not to mention, at least with USPS, when you ship you agree that the "estimated delivery time" is only a window and that it can takes weeks on top of it. That's a nice stipulation nobody ever seems to notice, but it's there.

Edited by Ozz, 03 February 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

It is a bit drawn out to say the least, but I think you've done all you can do at this moment in time and will have to wait a bit longer... :gaah:
Keep us posted! :hope: :hope: :hope:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:22 AM

I am completely hopeless. As it seems to me that the parcel is completely disappeared into a black hole forever...everyday before I get home from work, I yearn for a miracle to happen - I will see the package sitting outside my front door....it is sad...

Edited by blieu118, 04 February 2017 - 02:24 AM.

#22 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

So I got some new update:

In Transit, Delayed:
PORTLAND, OR 97208 on February 5, 2017 at 12:24 am

Arrived at USPS Facility,
PORTLAND, OR 97208

January 24, 2017
In Transit to Destination

January 23, 2017
Departed USPS Facility,
FLUSHING, NY 11351

So how did it go from
NY to Portland, Oregon some crazy route it took that I have never seen from experience of buying online...

Wth is usps doing? Do they have a drunk driver/pilot transporting my package? I never saw Portland, Oregon in any of the trackings in the past before...

But at least its closer to California LOL!

Edited by blieu118, 05 February 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Maybe they put it on the wrong van?? :dunno:   Anyway at least it is still on the radar blieu.....frustrating, but patience is the key......  :rolleyes: ...... :gaah:

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

View Postmairandeddy, on 05 February 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Maybe they put it on the wrong van?? :dunno:   Anyway at least it is still on the radar blieu.....frustrating, but patience is the key......  :rolleyes: ...... :gaah:

I am prayingit is in good shape. The longer it is on the road the more chances of it getting abused. It was packed inside a foam clamshell so I hope that helps.

Edited by blieu118, 05 February 2017 - 06:42 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Ozz

Ozz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Haha, that's very odd. At least it's moving! I've had things do that exact same thing, even with domestic shipments.

Now that I think of it, I've probably seen every scenario you could come up with. I've had boxes half-ripped open and missing contents, envelopes ripped and taped back together (and empty, of course), boxes leaking fluids (car parts) and held up for weeks while they quarantined it, etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.