Headlight removal on HWE Ferrari F430 Challenge - Disassembling - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Headlight removal on HWE Ferrari F430 Challenge

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Californiacollector88

Californiacollector88

• DX Community
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Hot Wheels, Bburago, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and have been frequently visiting this website for many of questions to get answered, and they have been, except this question....how do you remove the headlights from a HWE 1/18 Ferrari F430 Challenge after you separate the body from the chassis? Are they glued on? I was wanting to change the color from the stock white to a black or grey.
Also, can you use FPR (non-acetone) on the mirrors or will it melt them? I don't like the white color on the mirrors either, haha.
Thanks!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Don't have this particular model in my collection, but if you have the model apart, usually plastic pieces like headlights are attached with tabs that have a melt/mushroom on the end.  Use a very sharp modeling knife to remove the mushroom, and you should be able to push the tab out from the underside of the body.

#3 OFFLINE   Californiacollector88

Californiacollector88

• DX Community
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the reply back ibj40! I really appreciate it.
Do you think a blow dryer would heat up the glue a little and make it easier to get off?
Also, could I use fingernail polish remover (non-acetone) on the mirrors?

#4 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostCaliforniacollector88, on 21 April 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

Do you think a blow dryer would heat up the glue a little and make it easier to get off?

Again, not being directly familiar with this model, not sure how much specific help I can give you.  Not sure what "glue" you are referring to.  Pictures might help.

However, as much customizing I do, I don't do a lot with plastic parts.  My recommendation would be to prime them and repaint them, without taking off the old paint.

Maybe others will come on and help you there.

#5 OFFLINE   Californiacollector88

Californiacollector88

• DX Community
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

View Postibj40, on 23 April 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostCaliforniacollector88, on 21 April 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

Again, not being directly familiar with this model, not sure how much specific help I can give you.  Not sure what "glue" you are referring to.  Pictures might help.

However, as much customizing I do, I don't do a lot with plastic parts.  My recommendation would be to prime them and repaint them, without taking off the old paint.

Maybe others will come on and help you there.

Sorry again for the lateness in the response but here is a picture of the model (underside view). It seems to be glued but I'm not familiar with these models that much.

Posted Image

As for the mirrors, I was thinking about that as a secondary option. I have primed and painted some rims before, it shouldn't be that much harder, haha. Thanks ibj40.

#6 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Okay, so the headlights are actually a reverse of what I was referring to. They are held in by a "mushroom" cap of diecast material. Your best bet is to use a Dremel with about an 1/18 inch drill bit, and with very little pressure, put the point of the drill bit in the dimple and drill off the mushroom. If you press too hard, you run the risk of transmitting too much heat into the metal and melting or distorting the plastic. The drill bit should knock the mushroom cap off, and also heat the plastic enough to loosen it from around the diecast stalk.

For reassembly, just put put a dab of glue on the stalk to grab the plastic.

Good Luck!

#7 OFFLINE   Californiacollector88

Californiacollector88

• DX Community
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Oh wow! Sounds like a lot of work. I'll try it out.
Thanks again ibj40. I will probably need that luck. Haha

#8 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

I've got an arsenal of tools for customizing.  You need a range of things from hammers to really fine screwdrivers, and everything in between.

I learned from a lot of trial and error, and ended up with lots of models (in pieces), stored in boxes on shelves in my garage.  To make it not all that demoralizing, I refer to them as Spares.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.