Right before I started collecting diecast . . . - DX Miscellaneous Hobby Interests - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Right before I started collecting diecast . . .

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

My race car partner and a volunteer crew built this (just found these pictures in a folder in my desk, along with all my driving logbooks).

Posted Image

Posted Image

We started with a bare chassis and roll cage, and then either fabricated or mounted every other part of the car.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11491 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

That's AWESOME!!! :omg:  I love 3rd Gen Camaros and seeing this one stripped down on the 2nd pic is amazing! :eusa_clap:  Very, interesting story as you also are automotive related and collect diecasts too! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#3 OFFLINE   mairandeddy

mairandeddy

Die-cast Happy Clappy!

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23366 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

That is one meaty mutha Jim   :omg: :drool5: How serendipitous for you (and us!) finding your old pics - I bet it has brought back many many happy memories!

MOTORHEAD - 21ST CENTURY - MOTORHEAD ALRIGHT!!!

Fast Eddy's

Weddings........................and .....................FUNERALS!

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2828 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Cool car.

#5 OFFLINE   Drums01

Drums01

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:Scale Modeling; Shooting; Real Cars; Motorcycles; percussion (Drummer)
  • Number of Models:360 +/- mostly 1:18, then 1:24, etc.
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, CMC, Exoto, Hot Wheels Elite, others

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

And how many die-cast did you buy with the profits from selling that one? (smile, just kidding).....

Nice ride. I have a 2013 I bought new of the Transformer edition, still nothing like yours....

#6 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4272 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:1/10th: 2; 1/12th: 1; 1/18th: 176; 1/43rd: 5
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

That's a spectacular achievement, Jim. Takes a lot more skill to DIY it than to just say "charge it!" :nice:
I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

#7 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:59 AM

Hi Jim, After all our chats, I am still blown away that you got to drive all of these, Is this what the Al Bartz engine also went in?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#8 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

D N, on 29 August 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

That's AWESOME!!! :omg:  I love 3rd Gen Camaros and seeing this one stripped down on the 2nd pic is amazing! :eusa_clap:  Very, interesting story as you also are automotive related and collect diecasts too! :occasion14:

mairandeddy, on 29 August 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

That is one meaty mutha Jim   :omg: :drool5: How serendipitous for you (and us!) finding your old pics - I bet it has brought back many many happy memories!

lateapex, on 30 August 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Cool car.

Drums01, on 30 August 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

And how many die-cast did you buy with the profits from selling that one? (smile, just kidding).....

Nice ride. I have a 2013 I bought new of the Transformer edition, still nothing like yours....

Jersey_Devil, on 30 August 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

That's a spectacular achievement, Jim. Takes a lot more skill to DIY it than to just say "charge it!" :nice:

Dave7872, on 31 August 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

Hi Jim, After all our chats, I am still blown away that you got to drive all of these, Is this what the Al Bartz engine also went in?

First, thanks, everyone, this was a huge undertaking that took way longer than any of us ever expected.  We started the project in 1986 when my partner and I drove to Milwaukee, Wisconsin from Dallas, Texas, with our Corvette chassis in our trailer, and swapped the seller for the new chassis, a couple of sets of body work, and miscellaneous other parts.  Four of us, literally, picked up the chassis and put it in our trailer, and then packed the rest of the parts around it.

We didn't finish the car until 1992, due to a variety of delays, such as my marriage to my second ex-wife (read into that what you wish), and my partner losing his real estate-related job (a couple of times).  We took the car to the Dallas Autorama the year we finished it, and among all the hot rods, and street mods, and wild flame paint jobs, won Best Engineered.  When we first rolled it out, lots of folks thought we had bought an ex-Trans Am car (which was vogue in SCCA GT-1 back then - and maybe still is).  We did pretty good, with older engines (yes, Dave the Bartz is in there) and non-state of the art technology; up until two brothers named O'Connor (for reference, Google "Port O'Connor) commissioned brand new Trans Am cars, one a Roush Mustang, the other a Riley and Scott Camaro; and hired mechanics, and brought them to the SCCA amateur races in color-matched transporters.

We lost the car in 1995 when a right front tire blew in Nascar Turn 4 of Texas World Speedway while my partner was driving, and took out the entire right side of the car.  By then, I had moved out of the Dallas area, and the gang of volunteers had lost their enthusiasm working on a guaranteed third place entry.  We sold what was left to a guy in Colorado for literally pennies on the dollar compared to what we had invested, and we rented a U-Haul truck, and we hooked our trailer to the back of it, and I drove to Denver from Dallas to deliver the package deal.

But God Damn it was fun while it lasted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.