Review: GT Spirit RUF Turbo R (993) Red Edition - GT Spirit - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Review: GT Spirit RUF Turbo R (993) Red Edition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BMW Fan

BMW Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1195 posts
  • Interests:Commercial Aviation, Cars, Food, Traveling
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AutoArt, Minichamps (in their glory days)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been out of this hobby for a very long time, probably at least a year or two. I hope everyone here is still doing fine. I recently just had the urge to begin buying models again, so I’m back to share a review of the new GT Spirit RUF Turbo R (993) with you guys.

This was somewhat of an unplanned purchase. During my dormant period, I would occasionally lurk on this forum and others just to satisfy my curiosity of what was going on in the world of model cars. Someone posted a picture of the red RUF Turbo R and I decided I had to have it along with its yellowbird sibling (coming later this month).

Onto the review……

This edition is an exclusive to Modelissmo and CK-Models. I personally think this color combo works a lot better than the one on the normal release (primer grey/bronze wheels). In total, this model set me back about 100 euros, or $125 USD shipped from Germany.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

At first impression, the model seems to be done pretty well. The paint is very smooth as usual with resin models. In addition, GT Spirit has captured the distinct design of the 993 headlights accurately.  

If I were to be critical, I would say that the lower front fascia is not 100% correct. Perhaps it’s just a matter of perspective, but it appears that the grilles on the sides are a bit big compared to the real car. I do like the fact that there is no front plate on this model, unlike the normal GT Spirit 993 Turbo.

One thing I noticed is that the car does not have indicators on the fenders. My brief research tells me that some cars were not equipped with them, so this is not a mistake on GT Spirit’s part.  

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Around the rear, I like the fact that the taillights stretch across the entire rear fascia, unlike the grey edition that has a painted section in the middle.

While it is difficult to see the interior of a resin model, I have no complaints from what I can see. One concern I had was that the grey inserts on the seats were painted somewhat sloppily in the initial pictures I saw, but the model I received has no such defects.

Lastly, I like GT Spirit’s choice of yellow calipers. It really sets the car off. The wheels are passable, but look to have a concave shape from some angles. I guess this is a limitation of casting and painting wheels this small, but it is slightly disappointing considering the angled look of RUF wheels is very distinctive feature.

Posted Image

Overall, I think this is model worth buying for those that like European cars. I hope that GT Spirit’s rendition of the Yellowbird 964 coming later this month is just as good, if not better.
Recent Additions:

AUTOart BMW E46 M3 CSL (Black)
AUTOart Lexus LFA (Matte Black)

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9124 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Looks like a nice model overall, thanks for sharing your review and welcome back?! :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1699 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Very nice, does the front bumper sit a bit high or is it just the angle?

Base
@basegtr

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32582 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

This is a model that I had hoped would be made in Red, and I'm pleased that they decided to do it. I think it looks nice overall, but I just find the body shape and the headlights to be wrong, the thick Black window surrounds really put me off too. As I had been looking at pictures of real ones for so long (it's my perfect 993) I got to know exactly how they look (some have Turbo S front bumper intakes etc, some don't)  I appreciate that no model car is ever perfect, but for me it just misses the wow factor. So regretfully, I won't get one.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#5 OFFLINE   BMW Fan

BMW Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1195 posts
  • Interests:Commercial Aviation, Cars, Food, Traveling
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AutoArt, Minichamps (in their glory days)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Postironsim, on 08 September 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Looks like a nice model overall, thanks for sharing your review and welcome back?! :occasion14:

Thanks! Glad to be back, didn't realize how much I missed this hobby.

View Postbaseb8, on 08 September 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Very nice, does the front bumper sit a bit high or is it just the angle?

Thanks! I think it's a combination of both. In person, the bumper doesn't stick out at me as being too high, but pictures of the 1/1 show that the stance is slightly lower.

View PostCraig, on 08 September 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

This is a model that I had hoped would be made in Red, and I'm pleased that they decided to do it. I think it looks nice overall, but I just find the body shape and the headlights to be wrong, the thick Black window surrounds really put me off too. As I had been looking at pictures of real ones for so long (it's my perfect 993) I got to know exactly how they look (some have Turbo S front bumper intakes etc, some don't)  I appreciate that no model car is ever perfect, but for me it just misses the wow factor. So regretfully, I won't get one.

I agree, it seems the issue of inaccurate body shapes, lights, etc. aren't just limited to this model. GT Spirit missed the mark on some recent releases. I'm hoping Spark or some other manufacturer will make a version of this model that has the finesse this one lacks.
Recent Additions:

AUTOart BMW E46 M3 CSL (Black)
AUTOart Lexus LFA (Matte Black)

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   ocz4life

ocz4life

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 981 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

I totally dig this, color is nice, red is pretty much always a good choice. I have to say I prefer grey and I actually love the body color in the middle of tail lights. As for the headlights, unfortunately I find them to be wrong shape. Slightly bigger then they should but what's even more is that they sit at the wrong angle. They should be more towards 90 degrees instead of being placed at an sharper angle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.