DiecastXchange Forum banner

Carrera S: what would you do?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Passion 
#1 ·
This is not really a "disater" as such, but I though I'd post in here anyway. Sorry if this is the wrong area.

Lucky me won a eBay UK auction for this Carrera S last week - "new" according to the listing - and received it today:

Right after opening the box, I detected telltale signs of it being used as a toy prior to being sold: dust and dirt inside and out, excessive amount of greasy fingerprints, car wax residue as if someone tried to polish off or hide something, etc.

I remember receiving a couple of models before in similar condition, but they came from actual model shops and not private sellers, so perhaps all this dirt actually comes all the way from the factory in China and, since this is not the dealer edition, they obviously don't give a rat about it - pardon my French.

However there were also a couple of chips at the edge of the bonnet (on either side), typical of when people pry the bonnet open with them fingernails, screw driver, etc...

... and a nasty scrape at the bottom half of the driver's door (though I think it may be repairable).

I haven't inspected the rest of the car yet, very tired right now plus no natural light to have a proper look. But overall it seems ok, nothing really broken.

Now I know that there are worse cases out there, and I'm really tempted to just try and polish it all off and let yet another "highly reputable" and "seemingly indubitable" seller get away with it, just to save me the headache of returning it or demanding a partial refund.

What would you guys/gals do in this case? Am I being too fussy, perhaps?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

You can see it's not new - if it was new (from memory) it would have a clear shipping band round the doors (if not that, it'll have a clear sticker across the shut line) and circular stickers securing the hood & trunk.

I'm not into partial refunds, so I'd ask to return it & see if they actually have a new one to replace it with.

#3 ·
You can see it's not new - if it was new (from memory) it would have a clear shipping band round the doors (if not that, it'll have a clear sticker across the shut line) and circular stickers securing the hood & trunk.
Good observation! I remember that now from other Minichamps models I have: strap around the doors and round stickers for the hood and trunk.

The listing says "no returns" but I'll write to the seller tomorrow anyway.

Thanks!

#5 ·
The little nicks on the bonnet wouldn't bother me too much if they can't be seen when it's closed, but if the mark on the door doesn't come off, I would definitely consider return or partial refund.
Yeah, that's what I was arguing with myself about. I could easily retouch the areas on the bonnet with a fine brush, rub the door using some mild compound and that would be the end of it.

But the thing is, it was listed as "new", so I am feeling kinda cheated, really.

I'm going to write to the seller tomorrow and send those pics, see what he says.

Thanks!

#7 ·
DONT WRITE TO THE SELLER

just open a ebay case and return it through ebays buyer protection. If you communicate outwidth an ebay case you wont be covered.

i ordered a "new" 1:18 autoart lambo lp670-4 china edition (absolute gem) and was horrified to have exactly the same issues you have experienced. Ebay confirmed a full refund and i sent the item back. Buyer protection is a wonderful thing

#8 ·
DONT WRITE TO THE SELLER
just open a ebay case and return it through ebays buyer protection. If you communicate outwidth an ebay case you wont be covered.
i ordered a "new" 1:18 autoart lambo lp670-4 china edition (absolute gem) and was horrified to have exactly the same issues you have experienced. Ebay confirmed a full refund and i sent the item back. Buyer protection is a wonderful thing
All sorted, just got the return label printed out. Strange that the seller didn't even reply, now I know that he was really up to no good on that one.

I have to wait till Saturday to post it back, it's a 1 hour journey from where I live to get across the border to Northern Ireland just to post this, can't do that on weekdays... that's why I hate having to return stuff when I buy from the UK.

Thanks guys for your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.