CLASSIC BEAUTIES IN THE DARK - CMC MB Targa Florio 1924 (29/05/2019) - DX Classic | Vintage - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

CLASSIC BEAUTIES IN THE DARK - CMC MB Targa Florio 1924 (29/05/2019)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1318 posts
  • Interests:books and rock music \m/
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GTSpirit, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of:ro

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

Great results Vulpex ... Congrats :eusa_clap:

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:de

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:12 AM

Thanks again friends - your warm comments are highly appriciated! :yahoo:

Stirling_Moss, on 11 February 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

I've been reading thru your topic here, Dirk(?), and enjoyed a lot.
Great images and nice try to catch/concur the light, which basically is the key to photography.
:occasion14:

Wow, many thanks Koen!!
Knowing your about the professional level your photography and the masterpieces you regularly present to us :adore:  a compliment from you is taken as an enoblement! :danke: :danke: :danke:
(And yes, my first name is Dirk.)

Uzair, on 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Hehe Vulpex your story reminds me a lot of my own. I first saw diecast models in person during a visit to Berlin waay back in 2007. I stumbled onto the main Mercedes-Benz showroom, and saw a 1:18 McLaren MP4-20 in orange test livery, and it was love at first sight. Later than evening I also saw a Schumacher Ferrari F2004, and almost bought it but even as a rank newbie I could tell the Hotwheels was roughly finished and worse in details compared to the Minichamps McLaren. It was at this same toy store in Berlin (called KaDaWe) that I saw my first CMC model, this time in 2012. In the intervening time I had collected only 4 or 5 F1 diecasts, and seeing a CMC silver arrows (I think it was the W125) for the first time it gave the impression of being fine jewellery :drool5: . And as you say, the price tag of about €200 seemed incredibly high at the time, so I did not buy it. My first CMC purchase was in 2014, by which time I was well and truly into collecting Minichamps and Hot Wheels and a few Exotos.

As to the photos of the W196R Streamliner, superb job again :10:

Thanks for sharing your personal story, Uzair! :rock:
Does anyone know whether there is somewhere in DX already a thread like "my first model" or "how I got started with collecting"?
I believe there definitely should be because I'm sure that so many of us would have have to tell so many interesting stories...

Edited by vulpex, 17 February 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

The test pics with the Bburago F40 clearly showed that also a red car can look quite nice in this kind of low light scenery.
So I did a shooting with my CMC Ferrari 250 GTO - hope you enjoy...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

UPDATE: Did some fine tuning to the pics as my PS skills are slightly improving...

Edited by vulpex, 09 March 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:ca

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

I want this model :drool5:  great shots!

#30 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Simon!
If you shoot for the red one, don’t wait too long - it’s already sold out at CMC...

#31 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

CMC Mercedes-Benz W25 - the mother of all silver arrows:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And 2 bonus pics with full lighting:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vulpex, 14 March 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

I did a low light shooting of my recently acquired Maisto Porsche 911 GT1 (Le Mans winner 1998).

Althoughly it truely is a beauty in the dark I didn't add the pics to this topic but opened a new one. (Just felt that the "DX  Classic / Vintage" forum would not be adequate.)
You can find the pictures here:
http://www.diecastxc...1998-by-maisto/

Edited by vulpex, 19 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

1st of May is public holiday in Germany and I took one day off the office on Monday thereby enjoying a long 4-days weekend.  :rolleyes:
So I had the chance to take a bit of time for processing some pictures I took a while before.

This time I wanted to explore the following question:
Is it possible to have even a dark model look favourable in a low light shooting?

Unfortunately I have no all-black car in my collection and so I did a shooting with my green AUTOart E-Type as the green color is so dark that it looks almost black on most pictures.
Enjoy the pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vulpex, 31 May 2018 - 02:09 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

I love this model and the pics are very nice, wish I had a day off too! :)

#35 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1278 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Some nicely done photos of an Iconic model.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#36 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

To catch a dark color in low light it's a tricky task for sure, but you did it pretty well  :nice:

#37 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, AutoArt, Kyosho, CMC, Schuco
  • Proud Citizen of:ad

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Wow Vulpex....Great shots...Read thread from the beginning.  Love the story too behind the F40....Will be looking forward to your pics from now on....Ill have to invest in a macro lens and try to implement some of the great advice in the photography section...I have a 70D but as a novice I can never get super clear and crisp shots like you guys do.  Need to learn my camera more.

What camera and lens do you use if you don't mind sharing?  I've even seen some phone pics here that are ridiculous too.  Lots of great talent in different areas on this site.

As for my start in model collecting, I'll date myself here but I got started back in the 70's as a little kid with Matchbox cars.  My mom would buy me quite a few so cars and car collecting were in my blood from the start.

Edited by Snakebitten, 01 May 2018 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Many thanks, friends - your kind comments are much appreciated! :danke: :danke: :danke:

Snakebitten, on 01 May 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Wow Vulpex....Great shots...Read thread from the beginning.  Love the story too behind the F40....Will be looking forward to your pics from now on....Ill have to invest in a macro lens and try to implement some of the great advice in the photography section...I have a 70D but as a novice I can never get super clear and crisp shots like you guys do.  Need to learn my camera more.

What camera and lens do you use if you don't mind sharing?  I've even seen some phone pics here that are ridiculous too.  Lots of great talent in different areas on this site.
When I started to take pictures of my models I had similar feelings like you, Snake. :occasion14:
I knew I had good camera & lens but was somehow frustrated because my own pics didnt reach the level of sharpness that many DXers have in their photography. :rock:
But with a little research and try&error exercise I came quite quickly to much more satisfying results.

Camera:
I use a 6D which has a full-format sensor but Im pretty sure that your 70D with its APS-C sensor is more than sufficient to get prime quality results.
Lens:
I have no macro lens for the time being but use a 24-70mm lens which has at least a special macro mode (very useful for close-ups!).

To get crisp and sharp pics you should operate with high aperture value (e.g. 22) what requires longer shutter times and as a consequence the use of a tripod. The high aperture value gives you greater depth of focus. And when taking pictures of my models I never rely on autofocus (BTW: for focusing manually its very useful to use the life-picture mode in combination with the magnification feature).

From my point of view these are the relevant basics. Just try and Im sure youll have fun... :yahoo:

Edited by vulpex, 04 May 2018 - 11:46 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, AutoArt, Kyosho, CMC, Schuco
  • Proud Citizen of:ad

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

Nice...Thanks for the encouragement. :smile:  A 6D :eusa_clap: Will be trying a lot of pics soon enough and following these tips... :danke:
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:05 AM

Just opened a spin-off with pictures of another "beauty in the dark" that is no classic/vintage car - the honourable Ghost:
http://www.diecastxc...ls-royce-ghost/

Edited by vulpex, 19 May 2018 - 11:56 AM.

#41 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

Ages ago when I was a little boy I used to play with Match Box cars (like most probably many of you). Amongst those Match Box cars there was a special one:
It was metallic red, had a very streamlined, elegant shape and it was faster than the others - a Porsche 910. And I really loved it!
Unfortunately the model has been lost through the decades but you can easily find many pictures of it on eBay.

As said this was far back in time and I had completely forgotten about this Porsche until some years ago when I accidentially became aware that one of Exoto's older releases was a 910. And yes, they had produced a version in (almost) plain metallic red!  :rolleyes: So I feeled definitely tempted. However the prices usually quoted for these are quite high compared to the quality which is not at the same level offered by recent Exoto models. So I didn't pull the trigger. But from time to time I scanned the net and this spring I noticed an offer for just 160 Euros (mint). As you can imagine I couldn't resist any longer... :nice:

The model is suprinsingly small (of course the 1:1 was small, too) but really heavy - good old school diecast. The detailing is not overwhelming but quite nice. And this colour called "Crystal Rainbow Red" looks just amazing! But the best thing is that I am always reminded of my childhood every time when I see this model. So for me this one is definetely a keeper.

Enjoy the pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vulpex, 15 June 2018 - 02:10 AM.

#42 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

These type of connection with a memory from our childhood it's what makes a model special. For me was Countach :nice: . Nice model and nice pics Dirk.

#43 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Beautiful car, red looks good on it too!

#44 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:57 AM

Thanks friends - your kind commends are much appreciated! :danke:

#45 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

We had already the Mercedes W25 in this thread - "mother of all silver arrows".
Back in the mid 30s of the last century the W25 has been seriously challenged by only one competitor: the Auto Union race car (Typ A to C). This ingenious car was developed by Prof. Ferdinand Porsche and it's concept was decades ahead of it's era - powered by a 16 cylinder mid engine. The V16 of the Typ C delivered approx. 500hps from a roots loaded 6 litre engine. When you have seen the real car you get a feeling how much courage a driver must have had to ride this beast on it's small tires. Tragically quite some of those brave drivers had to pay with their lives - a fact one should always keep in mind when reading about the heroes and battles on the race track of those days.

Much has been written about the rivalry between the silver arrows of Mercedes Benz and Auto Union and therefore I'll keep my introduction short. Only few drivers were able to really master the Auto Union Typ C and without doubt famous Bernd Rosemeyer was the best. In 1936 he succeeded to win 3 out of 5 Championship Grand Prix races and took the title of the European Champion.

The Typ C also was very successful in hill climb races as well as in world speed records - but that's another story...

The CMC model of the Typ C is - like the MB W25 - surprisingly small but heavy. It has been released by CMC only one year after the W25 (CMC numbers are M-033 and M-034) but it's impressing how the manufacturer has incerased the level of details (especially in the engin bay). Diecast at it's best!  :rolleyes:

Enjoy the pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vulpex, 24 June 2018 - 07:05 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9119 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

What I like the most about those CMC old racers is the axles and brake details :drool5:  I like the 2 first pics especially...because of that :10:

#47 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

So many details and rafinament in execution. Small model but great presence on the shelf. Your photo skills are better and better ... first two and the last two are the best in my opinion.

#48 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Thanks a lot, friends! :danke: :danke: :danke:

Cristi, on 16 June 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

... first two and the last two are the best in my opinion.
Glad especially about your assessment, Cristi:
The pictures are from 2 separate shootings. After a first session with my usual procedure I tried to improve my setup in order to reduce the need for excessive blackening with PS. As you might guess those 4 pics you liked are exactly the ones from the new setup.
==> Good to see that it worked out. :occasion14:

As you can see: I'm still a learner...

Edited by vulpex, 24 June 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1685 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

Let’s continue with the Auto Union Typ C.

As said the Typ C was very successful in hill-climb races and CMC is also offering a hill-climb version with twin-wheels on the rear axle. However I never felt seriously tempeted by this one  - with it’s twin wheels it looks to me a bit like a crossover between a silver arrow and an agricultural tractor. Of course that’s only my personal assessment and I’m sure there are DXers who feel different...
By the way: IMO this diversity of personal preferences very much enriches our hobby as well as this forum!

But we have still left the streamliner world record car from 1937:

In the pre-WW2 era speed records were quite popular and it is no surprise that Mercedes and Auto Union extended their famous Grand Prix rivalry also to the field of world speed records. Because of the great public interest those records were attractive from a propaganda perspective and the government actively supported these activities by organizing so-called speed weeks. Typically they closed a straight section of a highway for public traffic - most famous was a long straight of the new A3 motor way between Frankfurt an Darmstadt. MB and AU developped special streamlined bodies for their Grand Prix racers and tuned the cars as much as possible for short high-speed drives.

October 28th 1937 Bernd Rosemeyer took the world speed record on public roads by driving 406km/h with his Typ C streamliner. A record that shouldn’t last for long  - already in January 1938 Rudolph Caraccioal re-took the record for Merecedes by raising the bar to 432 km/h. Tragically Rosemeyer died later on the same day by an accident while trying to beat Caracciola’s result under difficult wheather conditions.

Fair to say that these speed records were „only“ class records – at the same time the overall world speed record for land vehicles was held by British driver Malcolm Campbell and his famous Rolls-Royce powered Blue Bird with 484 km/h driven at Daytona.

Knowing that streamliner design really is one of my soft spots you can imaging that I very much appreciate Revell having released a decent 1/18 diecast model of  Rosemeyer’s streamliner Typ C. Astonishingly this model still can be found on eBay in mint condition for fairly moderate prices (about 1/3 of a CMC  Typ C).

Of course the model can’t compare to the high-end CMC w.r.t. to detail (especially in the engine bay) but nevertheless I really love this model: In terms of shape, stance and also paint Revell did a very good job and I guess that’s what a streamliner is about. The model is huge – definitely the longest in my collection – and a really heavy brick. Good old-school diecast.

Difficult to find the right words in order to describe the beauty of the design: the sexy shape, the curved lines of the body, the luster of the silver paint - enjoy the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vulpex, 07 July 2018 - 03:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.