MAKING OF: BEAUTIES IN THE DARK - DX Photography Discussions & Tutorials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

MAKING OF: BEAUTIES IN THE DARK

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1350 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:54 AM

Hi guys!

Some of you expressed interest to learn more about how I did my studio-like low-light pics of the Uhlenhaut Coupe.
http://www.diecastxc...ut-coupe-again/

I'm happy to do so - absolute no secret about this. I only hope that at the end your are not disappointed when you see how simple the set-up is... :nice:

1) Equipment
A good camera and a good lens are key for good results, of course. I'm using a full-format DSLR and 24-70mm zoom lens.
To achieve best results I only shoot my models by using a stable tripod (also see below: shutter time).

2) Some basics w.r.t. to shooting (hope I'm not boring you with matters of course)
No automatic function of the camera is used, everything is managed manually:
- focus: I use the camera's live view and magnification function to precisely focus the lens on a central detail.
- aperture: Use max value (e.g. 22) for maximum sharpness over a wide area.
- shutter time: When operating with max aperture value you have less light available and need longer shutter times (typically 5-30 sec, depending on available light and iso value) - making the use of a tripod inevitable.

3) "Foto studio"
As some of you might know I have only very limited space available - for my models as well as for a foto studio.
So when I shoot my models I do it on a white side board which carries our TV and has roughly 20cm free space in front of he TV. For daylight shots I need a bright day to have the appropriate light.

4) LIGHTING for low-light shooting
For those special pictures I use 2 additional ingredients:
a) Create a dark background by use of black fabric (e.g. cloths or scarfs)
b) I use the indirect light of my TV screen for lighting the model - sending a constant uni-color picture from my smartphone to the TV. All other lights in the room have to be down, of course.

To give you a better impression I add a quick smartphone picture of my "foto studio":
Posted Image

And that's already the whole "trick" - the rest is done by processing and improving the pictures with Photoshop.  :rolleyes:
So really nothing spectacular as you can see... :occasion14:

Edited by vulpex, 03 March 2018 - 12:22 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9114 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

Nice, thanks for sharing! Can I have that 250 GTO now?! :yahoo:  I really need to add one :10:
Here's my 1:18 collection[FOR SALE] : http://www.diecastxc...n/#entry2226553

#3 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1708 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Thank you man! I'm thinking to get myself into pictures/video and this is very good to know. As far I as I saw so far, biggest issue can be lighting and if you can do that part well, practically, you have done the biggest part of job.

#4 OFFLINE   janositamas

janositamas

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1301 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, car photography
  • Number of Models:90 (06.2019.)
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, BBR, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: hu

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

Nothing spectacular? I really like the TV idea, I did a couple of light-painting pictures, but never had the idea of using my TV screen from above to get those silhouette shots! Brilliant idea, I definitely will give it a try, thanks for sharing!

#5 OFFLINE   emanuil.hv

emanuil.hv

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 332 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit <3
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

I've always wanted to make silhouette picture like this but never could make it work. Thanks for this, will try. :)
Posted Image
My collection - click here ^

#6 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

View Postironsim, on 03 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Nice, thanks for sharing! Can I have that 250 GTO now?! :yahoo:  I really need to add one :10:

Haha - nice try Simon! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Unfortunately I'm more a buy-and-hold guy. But if you still don't have one you should definitely add - it is truely a little gem!! :omg:

Thank you guys for your kind words! :danke: :danke: :danke:

Many of people seem to believe that lots of expensive equipment is needed to achieve good pictures.
That's not the case! Of course you will need a decent camera/lens and a tripod.
But by far more important is what I would call a "loving eye" for the object you want to shoot and a certain joy to try new things.
Not every experiment will give the result that you wanted to achieve :dizzy: but other ideas will work as planned and a success will guide you how to proceed.  :rolleyes:
Just be a little adventurous and you'll have fun - I promise!! :yahoo:

#7 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2087 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

Using the TV as a light source is a genius idea :10: I would never have thought of it, but then again I am not even an amateur level at photography. Did you get the idea yourself, or is this a known trick in macro object photography?
And thank you for sharing your technique here  :rock: for your :coolpics:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9114 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

View Postvulpex, on 04 February 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

View Postironsim, on 03 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Haha - nice try Simon! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Unfortunately I'm more a buy-and-hold guy. But if you still don't have one you should definitely add - it is truely a little gem!! :omg:

Thank you guys for your kind words! :danke: :danke: :danke:
Yeah, when it was released in 2015 I didnt move fast...I have a dark blue HWE 250 GTO(Vanilla Sky one), I like it but its obviously not CMC quality, but I like the color a lot, the dark blue CMC's price is insane but would love the red/blue/yellow! There was a red one on kijiji for a good price and I sent a message to the seller but never had any reply, and the ad was gone the day after so I missed it!
Here's my 1:18 collection[FOR SALE] : http://www.diecastxc...n/#entry2226553

#9 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

I'm not near the picture taking stage but this set-up is great and I never would have thought of the TV light to help with the background

#10 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Thanks again - your warm comments are very welcome!! :danke:

One remark to avoid any possible confusion:
I've just re-named my Uhlenhaut-thread to "BEAUTIES IN THE DARK" because I'm planning to add further picture fromtime to time.
The above link still works...

#11 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

View PostUzair, on 04 February 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

Using the TV as a light source is a genius idea :10: I would never have thought of it, but then again I am not even an amateur level at photography. Did you get the idea yourself, or is this a known trick in macro object photography?
And thank you for sharing your technique here  :rock: for your :coolpics:

Sorry Uzair, read your question and somehow forgot to answer... :sad:

I'm not aware that this set-up is commonly known or has been described anywere else.
So you can call it my own idea but I would rather call it a kind of mindful observation...

There's a little story how I came to the idea for this kind of photo shooting:

As you might know available space is a serious limitation for me and I have no cabinet to present my models. Like with many other collectors my models all sleep in the original boxes. I have only a single-model acrylic display case. So only one of my little gems is presented for some weeks until I exchange it against another. Unfortunately this display case is not placed in our living room. And from time to time when watching a movie on the TV I take my current presentation model out of the display case for some hours and place it on the side board right below the TV. :lurker:
So my eyes can easily switch down to the model and enjoy its beauty. :smile:

I guess you can easily imagine the rest of the story...
Back in last summer I had the Uhlenhaut Coupé out, it got late with the movie, sun went down, it became dark in the room and suddenly a little wonder took place:
The model disclosed its secret beauty: In the darkness and with the indirect light from the TV screen it unveiled its silhouette in a way never seen before. :omg:
During the rest of the movie I guess my wife had to agree about the beauty of this at least 10 times - what she patiently did. :nice:

It was pretty clear to me that this effect could (and should) be developped to a very special photo shooting...

Edited by vulpex, 01 May 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   rony_dg

rony_dg

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

Wow! This is a good trick! Thanks for sharing this info Vulpex. Meanwhile i'm trying to source a 2x2 Diffused light to try and mimic the big Chimera lights in the actual studio setup. :occasion14:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.