SunStar 1963 Chevrolet Nova SS - Sunstar - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

SunStar 1963 Chevrolet Nova SS

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1598 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

I haven't seen any first generation "Chevy II" Nova by any other diecast manufacturer other than SunStar, so I'm assuming that's the go-to brand if you want one of those:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The name "Nova" wouldn't become the official name for the car until 1969, so this was known as the "Chevy II Nova" - according to info I gathered, of course feel free to challenge it.

This SunStar example represents the '63 with SS appearance package, equipped with a 3.2l, 194 cu straight-6 engine (small block V8's only became available for the '64 Nova onwards).

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a pretty decent model car despite its obvious faults - some of those too obvious - so I jumped at it when I found it for €38.00 delivered.

This is no shelf beauty but it's got personality. The color combo is easy on th eyes: black with white roof and red interior.

The front and rear ends looks awesome, the interior is actually quite pleasant to look at with the doors closed; however the view is spoiled when you open them, revealing the infamous dog legs.

The wheels and tyres seem a bit undersized on the model, however the 1:1 came originally with 13'' wheels and 165/90 (6.90) tyres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also just ignore the inside of the roof, nothing to see there... although that is something that could be easily remedied with a piece of self-adhesive felt. And why not just finish the job and also carpet the floor? Those two jobs are on my list of improvements for this model.

Posted Image

No photo etch badging or details, but that would be too high expectation for a budget model. The badges and logos are all decals, but nicely applied.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Window trim frame, as expected for a budget model, is painted in matt grey rather than separate chrome frames.

Time for this picky old man to open his little bag of rants: all the other chrome bits and trim look quite good, which makes it hard to understand the logic some model makers follow. Why the heck not go all the way and add chrome frames to the windows? Even BBurago done it decades ago on some of their models. But, well, maybe it's exactly those few cents worth of extra chrome trim the reason why BBurago gone broke and sold, who knows...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now speaking of chrome bits, the trim along the trunk/boot lid is one thing to look for when buying this model. I'm yet to see one example where that particular bit is properly done and the studs are not showing. Another job for the list: remove it, delete the studs and glue the trim in place instead.

Posted Image

It's a nice model and worth adding if you're collecting American cars and if you can find it cheap. And that's that for this review. Now, photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:occasion14:

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Mirta27

Mirta27

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Number of Models:20
  • Favorite Brands:HWE, Kyosho, Ricko, Welly GTA
  • Proud Citizen of: fi

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

I have to say, this actually looks pretty nice! The faults are quite well hidden to the untrained eye and it also has the kind of stance and attitude I was expecting from it. Thank you for the review!

(Though, nothing can hide those 9" rims  :rolleyes: )
Isamu Ohira - Be At Home

#3 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostMirta27, on 14 February 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

I have to say, this actually looks pretty nice! The faults are quite well hidden to the untrained eye and it also has the kind of stance and attitude I was expecting from it. Thank you for the review!

(Though, nothing can hide those 9" rims  :rolleyes: )

You're welcome, thanks for looking!

It does look quite good actually and the faults are not that severe and can be sorted with a bit of work.

The wheels can also be replaced, but I plan to keep mine as original. Something about them I'm beggining to like, believe it or not...  :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   Josh

Josh

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 9417 posts
  • Number of Models:350+
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOART Highway 61 Hot Wheels Elite Ertl Authentics
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

I have the convertible version and I find it charming and unique. Not many 60's US models that feature Non V8's out there in 1/18.

Feel free to View My Collection Thread
http://www.diecastxc...and-collection/

It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates! Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   schuifelhoofd

schuifelhoofd

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPip
  • 5227 posts
  • Interests:Too much & not enough time
  • Number of Models:+220
  • Favorite Brands:Ertl, AW, AUTOart, Highway61.....
  • Proud Citizen of: be

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

I had the plain red one once, and i must say, this color combo really brightens it up!

Me too thinks no-one else makes this gen, but it looks great for it's pricetag.

Sven's collection on DX
Sven's collectors registry (got list) on Scale18

#6 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostJosh, on 14 February 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

I have the convertible version and I find it charming and unique. Not many 60's US models that feature Non V8's out there in 1/18.
Yeah, I'm tempted to get the convertible one as well, to keep the hard top company.

View Postschuifelhoofd, on 15 February 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

I had the plain red one once, and i must say, this color combo really brightens it up!
Me too thinks no-one else makes this gen, but it looks great for it's pricetag.
Can't go wrong with black + red interior, even better with a white top!

:occasion14:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.