Help finding wide rim/tires - Aftermarket parts & Materials - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Help finding wide rim/tires

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, AutoArt, Kyosho, CMC, Schuco
  • Proud Citizen of:†ad

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Does anyone know of a site where I can get wider rim tire selection than what Ulinowak and TK offer?  I like their rims and have bought a few from each but they donít look right on certain cars like 911ís, Benzís, Ferrariís, Vipers etc that have truly wide rim and rubber outback.  I bought this set of Forgiato rims from a hobby shop a while back.  I just canít remember the name.  Here are some pics of the wide rim/tire vs TK/Ulinowak widest sized rims:

Posted Image

IT DWARFS TK-Diecast & Nowaks widest rim/tire selections that Iím aware of.
Posted Image

I got an Enzo and a Viper Iím looking to upgrade.  Thx.
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts
  • Interests:Diecast
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, & GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

I usually just buy a cheap Maisto or Hot Wheels model just for the tires.  The Maisto Jaguar XJ220 has quite a wide tire.

#3 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Thx Eric.  Do you think they can fit 19 & 20” rim?  I pilaged two cheap Maisto CLK-GTR’s for their tires but they only fit on a 19” rim barely.  

I was hoping to avoid building up useless shells of parts cars by just buying the right rims but sadly none of the well known sites offer rim/tires suitable for any big dog super cars.  They look great from the side but fall flat from the rear view.  Maybe I’ll just have to buy two pairs and cut and join for the right width.  Wasting money though.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4480 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

How about cutting up two tires to cover one wheel? If the cut line was down inside the grooves, it would be really hard to see.

#5 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Hey littlerock thanks.  You and I are on the same page.  thatís what I meant when I wrote about buying two pairs and cut and join.  Thatís for the rims and tires.  I would try to cut both tires on the thread groove as clean as possible the glue together.  

I was hoping someone else bought those same wide tires and rim from the same hobby shop that I canít remember.  Was hoping someone remembered the shops name.  I believe they are an Australian shop of memory serves.

Edited by Snakebitten, 22 February 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1546 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

Was it BNA Model World?

Base
@basegtr

#7 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostSnakebitten, on 22 February 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Thx Eric.  Do you think they can fit 19 & 20” rim?  I pilaged two cheap Maisto CLK-GTR’s for their tires but they only fit on a 19” rim barely.  

I was hoping to avoid building up useless shells of parts cars by just buying the right rims but sadly none of the well known sites offer rim/tires suitable for any big dog super cars.  They look great from the side but fall flat from the rear view.  Maybe I’ll just have to buy two pairs and cut and join for the right width.  Wasting money though.
The XJ220 tires say 345/35 ZR18 on them but I don't know how accurate that really is.  
I just measured the diameter of the inside of the tire and it looks to be between 26 and 27 mm, which should be around a 18" to 19" wheel.

#8 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Another tire that might work for you are tire from the Hot Works Porsche 996.  
The overall diameter of the tire looks similar to the Jaguar tire but the wheel size looks more like 20" to 21".

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6489 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of:†dk

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

i might also need some wide tires. i checked Uli Nowak and nothing was wide enough. i just thought of legende miniatures, http://legende-minia...ique/index.html, but i havent checked them yet. i think they might have tires too.

#10 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Baseb8 thatís sounds familiar.  I think that might be them.  Iíll look them up after work.  

Eric thanks for those pics and suggestions.  Will look into them.  The Jag tires look nice and wide.   The Porscheís looks like the right ID.  Btw your diorama looks great.  

Alex thx for that link.  Will take a look later.  Will have to translate that page by the looks of it.  

Thx all for the replies.
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1546 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

Also, those tires you've shown look like these Hobby design 1/18 20" Pirelli P Zero
https://www.bnamodel...esign-hd03-0404
Posted Image

Base
@basegtr

#12 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2137 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

Yes, the Aussie seller is BNA model world. Hobby Design's 2 largest suppliers that I know off are Evolution_online and BNA model world. Both sell on ebay and I have bought plenty off both these sellers, no problems.

You can also make your own tyres, I am going to make a video soon about how to make a silicon mold and cast your own rubber tyres. This way you can make as many tyres as you want of whatever size you have.

#13 OFFLINE   Snakebitten

Snakebitten

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

Baseb8 THATS IT.   Those are the exact rim/tire I bought.  Forgiato rims with those tires.  Funny thing though is the rims are not wide enough for those tires lol.  I will have to sacrifice another rim to fill it out.  

ROBSMC thanks for the info on both Aussie sellers.   Also that tutorial will be most welcome.   Iíll keep a lookout on your channel for it.   Really appreciate the help folks.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.