Need suitable wheels and tires for UT 993 Turbo - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Need suitable wheels and tires for UT 993 Turbo

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4173 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ebbro IXO
  • Proud Citizen of:†in

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hello all.
I am posting after quite a long time though I still lurk around every day.
I had the opportunity to finally own a UT Porsche 993 Turbo in black but like all UT models, it came with the dreaded melting wheels.
I tried painting them but it made them even worse. So now I want to replace them.
I wish to know what would be the most suitable wheels for them. I don't mind upsizing them a size or two but they should be able to roll and steer. I would prefer a direct plug and play as I don't have much patience or skill to size and cut them to fit properly.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
I know Kung-fu
and 50 other such dangerous words.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2541 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

Hey Winston haven't see you for a while how are you going? What went wrong with the repaint if you dont mind me asking. I too have a few UTs including a Kyosho E90 that are suffering from melting wheels problem and I might consider fixing them one day. would be interested to know the difficulties you experienced with the repaint...

The most ideal direct plug and play i imagine would be to find a cheap donor model from UT that has similar wheel pattern? Failing that cheap porsches from Maisto might be something you can consider too but somehow i think you might need to do some adjustments to fit them in. Perhaps check out the parts sellers in case they happen to have full set of UT porsche wheels? I normally try https://www.modelldealer24.de/ in case they have it?

#3 ONLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:15 AM

Are you able to strip and fully repaint the original wheels? That will be the best and easiest solution.

In terms of plug and play, I don't know of any aftermarket wheels that will slip right onto UT hubs. I think but I'm not sure, that they have a similar hub diameter to Autoart's but even then I can't think of any Autoart wheels that would fit the design. Maybe some from an old UT/Autoart race car like this?

Posted Image

Another option is to go totally custom with some dished BBS/cups from Uli Nowak and TK-Diecast Hubs but this will involve a lot of patience/cutting/glueing to make them sit and look right. It will be worth it though as you'll end up with something similar to what Loostik did to his Turbo S here.

http://www.diecastxc...he-993-turbo-s/
Posted Image

Base
@basegtr

#4 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4173 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for the replies jazzy & baseb8.
Jazzy, I have been very busy looking at old UTs and adding them as well. I guess now I have every model I ever needed while I started collecting 20 years ago.
I started painted over the wheels with acrylic silver color and while it did dry up well, it looked very shoddy. I was not brave enough to yank out the wheels because with past experience with a silver UT Ferrari 550, I ended up breaking the spindle of a rear wheel.
Having read baseB's reply, I have a spare 993 GT2 whose wheels should look great on this turbo. I think I will go all out on the GT2 as it needs a set of calipers as the model didn't come with them. Also it has foggy headlights and windscreen but that is another story with these old UTs.
I did contact Loostick but he has not been online here since mid January this year. Hope all is well with him.
I know Kung-fu

#5 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts
  • Interests:Diecast
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, & GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:39 AM

Welcome back Winston!  One of my UT Porsche 993 Turbo Sís also suffers from the wheel melt issue on one wheel but it really hasnít gotten any worse over the 16 years I owned it.  Iíve also been thinking about stripping and repainting all four of the wheels so they match.  

Baseb8, those BBS wheels look fantastic on the 993 Turbo!

#6 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4173 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

Thanks Eric.
While only one of the wheels had a minor defect, I just could not live with it as the 993 turbo for me is one of the holy trinity of sportscar, the other two being the Ferrari 355 and the Honda NSX.
I will strip out the paint as soon as I can pry it out of the spindles. Will keep you guys posted on any progress.
I know Kung-fu

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.