Dark Side's 1/43 scale Collection - DX 1:43 (and smaller) Collectors - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Dark Side's 1/43 scale Collection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dark Side

Dark Side

Cool collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Diecast Collector and Motorsport journalist
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho,Exoto,GMP.
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

It's a long time coming but here, finally, is the topic for my 1/43 scale models which have gathered rather neatly on my shelves in the past decade or so...

I'm not really onto any theme but more recently I've told myself to only buy racing cars, especially sports cars and other endurance racing GTs, so I'll start the `presentation` with something from that spectrum, namely a Chevrolet Monza and a BMW CSL.

I've been waiting for over 5 years for someone to release a decent Chevrolet Monza IMSA model car, especially the Dekon chassis #1008 which carried Al Holbert to his first IMSA GT Series championship title some 42 years ago. It was a strange year for IMSA with the full-blast arrival of the special All-American GT cars devised to beat the Porsche armada that've been dominating the IMSA series almost since its inception (ignoring Phil Currin's giant-killing C2). Bill France put together a set of rules for American manufacturers to be able to bring to the track tube-framed sports cars that would be lighter, more nimble and even more powerful than the production-based European Fords, BMWs and Porsches.

Such tube-framed cars first appeared in 1974, courtesy of John Greenwood. His Corvette was followed an year later by the Dekon Engineering-built Chevrolet Monza but only in 1976 did this new wave of American cars take the series by storm (Gregg won the title in 1975 with his trusty RSR on the heels of his second consecutive Daytona 24 Hours win). Holbert was one of those who ditched Porsche power for Chevy power, although he won the Sebring 12 Hours race that year in a Carerra. His team-mate, well-known movie-maker and writer Michael Keyser, also went the way of a Monza and another one who changed gear 42 years was Peter Perfect himself. The #59 moved from the sides of a 911 to those of a BMW 3.5 CSL, put to work masterfully in the previous season by the likes of Stuck, Posey or Redman. This time, the engine on the Bimmer was bigger and the car was wider. It drew first blood in the first round of the season, at Daytona, and that's the model that Minichamps replicated in 1/43 scale. Arch rival Holbert only took delivery of chassis #1008 at the third round of the season, the Road Atlanta 100 Miles run as a 2x50 miles double-header. That's the car Spark Models followed when they set about making the model car pictured below and it is a neat thing.

It isn't by any means perfect, past efforts from the same manufacturer easily surpassing it, and it even seems more toyish next to the wider, die-cast, BMW. Anyway, the two represent a unique moment in time as by 1977 Gregg was back in the Brumos-entered Porsche and already back on title form as he bagged the Trans-Am crown while Holbert sticked to the Monza and got his second title. Both Gregg and Holbert would go on to win more titles in IMSA competition but, sadly, both are now spoken of using the past tense, this year marking the 30th anniversary since the passing of Holbert while Gregg left us 38 years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Stu72

Stu72

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1943 posts
  • Interests:Motor Sport, especially all things Le Mans
  • Favorite Brands:Make Up, Spark, TSM, Looksmart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:20 AM

great start and fantastic photos. I'll be following this thread with great interest
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
"Le Mans can be your worst nightmare, it can also be the best days of your life" - Tom Kristensen, 9 times Le Mans winner

#3 OFFLINE   Dark Side

Dark Side

Cool collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

That time when I got to take a picture of my C11 next to the real deal...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   barrismello

barrismello

• DX Community
  • 39 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

Nice C11 pic.  I've never seen a Monza model before.  Looks great.

Edited by barrismello, 25 June 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Dark Side

Dark Side

Cool collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

Up next, here's a nice Delahaye by Spark

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Dark Side

Dark Side

Cool collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

A second stab at those Delahaye pictures, now stored somewhere else...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1701 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Stunning pics - I really like this special mood created by a tele lens! :10:

Sure that it's a Delahaye?
Without your comment I would have bet that this is the Talbot Lagot "Teardrop"...

#8 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9121 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hard to believe its 1/43, great pics!

#9 OFFLINE   Dark Side

Dark Side

Cool collector

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Yes, indeed @vulpex, it is a Talbot T23 Figoni et Falaschi Teardrop Coupe... Somehow, I was fantasizing about Delahayes when I posted the pics the first time and just carried on with it Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.