Oh wait, that is my father's Oldsmobile! - Best of Show (BoS) - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Oh wait, that is my father's Oldsmobile!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5147 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

Normally don't collect streeters,  but when BOS came out with their Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, I started to watch.  The first couple that I saw weren't the right color (light blue was the first one I saw, and then an off-red version), but when they released a gold over woody; they had me.

My Dad bought one of these when I was in high school (I have two older brothers and three younger sisters).  Ours was the three row of seats version, the last two folding down to make a huge cargo area.  With a 350 cubic inch engine, it had plenty of get up and go.  I used to pick street fights with my contemporary high schoolers.

Out of an attempt to intimidate, I'd roll down all the windows, and drop the rear tailgate.  My story was that the airflow through the car, coupled with the weight transfer of the window-heavy tailgate gave me both an aero and weight transfer advantage.  Not sure how true that was, but the 350 with a really nice automatic transmission behind it delivered some power to the rear wheels, and I took my share of bragging rights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With regard to the BOS model, it's really nothing to write home about.  If it hadn't been for an American Excellence sale that dropped the price to right about $110 plus shipping, I might not have pulled the trigger.  Obviously, it's all closed, but with some interior detail.  Very light feeling, too.

I won't buy more to complete my selection of multi-color Easter Eggs, but as to a memory for a point in my life, I'll keep it.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11794 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hey Jim!! Congrats on the OLDS!!! :eusa_clap: :yahoo: :eusa_clap:  This looks GREAT and I really love Oldsmobile (disappointing that GM axed them) :gaah:  Again, Congrats & Great Shots!! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#3 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2203 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:00 AM

Nice model and cool memories Jim - thanks for sharing!! :occasion14:

#4 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1351 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

Great add Mr. Jim!, It looks great.  I am waiting for mine to come in, next week from Germany as American Excellence doesn't deliver to Canada.  The biggest draw back of that model, I got the '64 one last year, as you say it doesn't open.  If someone had made an opening version of this it would be amazing.  But other than the rehashing of the existing molds no one other than BOS is releasing anything new by Olds.  And it looks great, I got wait to get mine.  Thanks for sharing.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#5 OFFLINE   gman8

gman8

• DX Community
  • 15 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

I enjoyed reading your post!

OT and I know this is a BoS model, but Its a shame this is a closed model because this car has the absolute coolest openning tailgate in automotive history!

Would've been cool to be a kid in the 1970s. I grew up one generation later in the 80's/90's and have fond childhood memories of GM A Body and B Body station wagons, which were NOT as cool as their 1970s counterparts🙁

#6 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3766 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Great story Jim and love the rear spoiler too. Have a guilty fondness for Woodies but then I do also enjoy Chevy Chase movies as well..................... :eusa_clap:

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5147 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

simondc07, on 05 August 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Great story Jim and love the rear spoiler too. Have a guilty fondness for Woodies but then I do also enjoy Chevy Chase movies as well..................... :eusa_clap:

The spoiler on the model sits a little higher than I remembered, but of course it's been a couple of years.

#8 OFFLINE   winstoncds

winstoncds

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 4197 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

Always have loved big American station wagons and this one takes the cake. I wish there were more models of mainstream US and European estate cars.
I know Kung-fu
and 50 other such dangerous words.

#9 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1351 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

ibj40, on 06 August 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

simondc07, on 05 August 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Great story Jim and love the rear spoiler too. Have a guilty fondness for Woodies but then I do also enjoy Chevy Chase movies as well..................... Posted Image

The spoiler on the model sits a little higher than I remembered, but of course it's been a couple of years.

Your guys are right about the spoiler.  I noticed it was too high on this model, doesn't dampen my excitement about getting this model though.  I am putting back together an old van that has a 68-74 vista cruiser roof on it, I have the rear spoiler for it and it isn't high. It only comes off the back a few inches.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.