Exoto "tipo" 156 steering mechanism problem - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Exoto "tipo" 156 steering mechanism problem

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dialMforMike

dialMforMike

• DX Community
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:A bit of everything.
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:56 AM

Not completely sure where to post this, but this seemed to be the best place.

I was handling this particular model yesterday (Exoto 156 sharknose) while trying a new angle for the front wheels by moving the steering wheel, when all the sudden the resistance on the steeringwheel vanished and the front wheels not longer respondended to the actual steering wheel. There was no "pop" or sound and nothing can be heart rattling inside. Nonetheless the steering mechanism is unresponsive and seems broken  #muchsadness

Has anyone dealt with this similar damage/phenomenon and if so; is there a (simple) fix? These models are rather fragile so somewhere in my mind I figured this was bound to happen, but it hurts nonetheless and I wonder if it can be fixed. The actual coming to gether of the steering column with the front axle (?) is shielded, which seems to render it hard/impossible to reach but maybe something else can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ws6_22

ws6_22

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1776 posts
  • Favorite Brands:gmp
  • Proud Citizen of: es

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:06 AM

I had in my life 3 sharknose exoto xs and only one, I try to turn the steering wheel,
and the wheels moved to the sides

It is a car that is best not to move the steering wheel, just in case, or step on the accelerator pedal,and crazy, to prove, that the suspension works

They are very fragile cars, to look and touch little

Edited by ws6_22, 14 August 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   dialMforMike

dialMforMike

• DX Community
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:A bit of everything.
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:42 AM

So you're saying I should feel fortunate it worked in the first place :)

Do/did you change the position of the wheels just by aligning the wheels themselves or am I risking even more damage by doing that?

#4 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:54 AM

Most likely the linkage just snapped out of place. Try to find a reference pic on exoto's website that shows the linkage without the obscuring panel in place. See if it's something that can be popped back in. I'm gonna guess it won't though. Exotos are super fragile and I would avoid manipulating them as much as possible
I mod stuff

Wes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.