Hot Wheels Ferrari 512S lowering - Wheels, Brakes and Stance works - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Hot Wheels Ferrari 512S lowering

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimboCARS

JimboCARS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:1:18 late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s sports racing cars. Favourite cars - Ferrari 312P, Chaparral 2E, GT40.
  • Number of Models:More than a thousand
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:00 AM

Just a quick post to show a possible way of lowering the 512S - essential for anyone who has this model as the ride height is far too high.
There are other ways of doing the rear, but this works ok and looks fine.

First the front - remove material to increase the useable length of the upright, so that the mount can slide further down.  You also need to cut those tabs on the rack down a fair bit.

Posted Image

Next make the suspension mount thinner underneath - to allow even more travel.  I cut about half the thickness off.  Put the wheels back on with the screw to check clearance - you have to shave off more of the wheel hub to allow the screw to clear the mount when the steering is turned.

Posted Image

The rear is a bit more complicated, and there are a few ways of doing it I'm sure.  My method meant cutting and removing the silver wheel mounts/suspension mounts, and repositioning them about 4mm higher.  You have to drill a new hole through the gearbox.

Posted Image

When you come to reposition the pieces, you have to add some plastic to give a flush surface to glue them onto for maximum strength.
Here is the new styrene piece glued in place, ready to have the suspension mounting glued in its raised position.  The hole is yet to be drilled through the gearbox.

Posted Image

This picture shows the other side with the freshly drilled new hole.  The other suspension parts need to be shortened a little - try it all out first to see by how much.  When you come to glue everything back in place, run the axle through and fit the wheels, so that you can line everything up and get it level.  The result is a good strong finish.

Posted Image

The model now sits correctly - a much more aggressive stance.  Perhaps the front could be lowered even more by taking off a little more material.
Another easy fix is to extend the side windows down a little, by adding a thin strip of black vinyl (or you could paint a black line) just below the bottom of the windows.  This now lines up with the windscreen line and looks far better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apologies if I've missed something.  Cheers, Jamie

Edited by JimboCARS, 16 September 2018 - 01:05 AM.

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4154 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 16 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the tips Jamie.
I have bookmarked this page for when i get around to working on mine.
What is involved in removing the wheels?

#3 OFFLINE   JimboCARS

JimboCARS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:1:18 late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s sports racing cars. Favourite cars - Ferrari 312P, Chaparral 2E, GT40.
  • Number of Models:More than a thousand
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

The rears are just a friction fit, so twisting and gentle pulling will ease one off the axle.
At the front, you need to get a screwdriver under the plastic piece which holds the battery wires and prise it up.  Underneath are two screws (I think!).  They release the steering and suspension assembly.  The wheels themselves have screws - you'll see.

Have fun and don't forget to post the results up here when you're done!

Cheers, Jamie
Posted Image

#4 ONLINE   X-Filer

X-Filer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:Cars, beautiful women... the usual!
  • Number of Models:530 at the moment!
  • Favorite Brands:Signature Models
  • Proud Citizen of: pt

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

I reckoned the front axle wuold be an easy fix but that rear axle... I'm totally not comfortable with cutting the suspension arms. I still have to find a different way which doesn't include hacking through the model...

Thanks any way!
Posted ImageTOYOTA IS FOR LIFE!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.