Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2208 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

hey, evening all,

I'm probably missing something here, but what's the logic behind this?

https://www.carmodel...ion-2018/121568

Is it like that to be easier to modify or something? If so, is there a reason why some parts are missing? (side reflectors, windscreen trim, interior door trims etc)

Or is it meant to be displayed as is? Not knocking it, just baffled by it.

Any ideas? :)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4480 posts
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

I assumed it was done for easier modifying.

#3 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8953 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

I don't think it's rugged, I think it's just unpainted, bare metal. Why - no idea. Easy base for companies/people to decorate into a van from their own company?
I mod stuff

Wes

#4 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2208 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

hmm, that's what i was thinking. But seems strange some essential bits are missing like the windscreen frame, or the reflective parts of the external mirrors.

oh well. Eight wonder of the world it is, then :)

#5 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:14 PM

Maybe the parts are included, but weren't put on since they might break when trying to removed for painting?

#6 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2208 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

ah, good thinking! :) that didn't occur to me at all. Shows how much modding I do :)

#7 OFFLINE   littlerockshhd

littlerockshhd

• DX Moderator
  • Pip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

I saw this one the other day on Ebay
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:27 PM

Considering that the "rugged" version is limited to 1000 pieces, it's doubtful it was made for companies to make their liveries easier.

If you search for "rugged vans" on Google Images, the Sprinter is quite a popular result, albeit for very different reasons. I get the feeling they made it because they wanted to make it look "used" and roughed-up as many vans end up in a similar state after a few years of abuse. That or Mercedes wanted them to use for some special model/client (probably a true rugged version) but ended up not using them so they released them as a "special edition".
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#9 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2826 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:51 AM

I am pretty sure the idea is that you can make your own personal one, but its idiotic for a few reasons already mentioned. Without supplied masks something like the blackouts on the windows is very hard to do perfectly, not to mention the headlights.

Basically its much easier to buy one of the normal ones and strip paint, so I agree its the eight wonder of the world. :)

#10 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:00 AM

To be honest, I don't care much about it, but it irks me a bit that it costs the same as the finished ones. You don't get "less for more" as with a stripped-out track car, you simply get "less model for the same money", lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#11 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30944 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

View Postlittlerockshhd, on 30 November 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Maybe the parts are included, but weren't put on since they might break when trying to removed for painting?
I never thought of that!

Yeah it has to be so that people can customise them easier.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#12 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3759 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

I think I saw Stephen (Steph Replicars) comment on Facebook that it's easier to strip down an existing painted model, than it would be to modify this "rugged" one to a satisfactory standard.... So go figure lol
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#13 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postmcaf123, on 01 December 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

I think I saw Stephen (Steph Replicars) comment on Facebook that it's easier to strip down an existing painted model, than it would be to modify this "rugged" one to a satisfactory standard.... So go figure lol

Roger that!

One of the most difficult processes of making a custom is stripping the old paint off the diecast.  Can be a real PITA, and you are exposed to toxic chemical reactions.

I'd love to see more of these "rugged" offerings, especially where there is a variety of liveries for the same base model.

Plus, then the diecast manufacturer doesn't have to take the risk of producing a livery that doesn't sell.

#14 ONLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 874 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

View Postibj40, on 01 December 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Roger that!

One of the most difficult processes of making a custom is stripping the old paint off the diecast.  Can be a real PITA, and you are exposed to toxic chemical reactions.

I'd love to see more of these "rugged" offerings, especially where there is a variety of liveries for the same base model.

Plus, then the diecast manufacturer doesn't have to take the risk of producing a livery that doesn't sell.

Because Steph Replicars don't strip the old paint... he just wet sand the model with 600 and 800 grit sandpaper and let's go for the new color.
It's easier and you don't need primer and a second wet sanding.  BUT at the end the paint looks way too thick ( i have seen the same "problem" here on DX on some custom models )
If you paint a 1/18 like a real car with 8 different layers the result is ridiculous. The model looks "drowned" inside the paint IMO.  Personally i always strip the paint to bare metal, like a real workshop

This "rugged" version is just a limited edition ( the price is the same for the painted one ) and honestly, if the manufacturers want to produce this kind of models they should do it like the GMP Ford 32 kit

Primed and ready for paint + assembly
Posted Image

Edited by Floper54, 01 December 2018 - 09:41 PM.

My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#15 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostFloper54, on 01 December 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View Postibj40, on 01 December 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Roger that!

Because Steph Replicars don't strip the old paint... he just wet sand the model with 600 and 800 grit sandpaper and let's go for the new color.
It's easier and you don't need primer and a second wet sanding.  BUT at the end the paint looks way too thick ( i have seen the same "problem" here on DX on some custom models )
If you paint a 1/18 like a real car with 8 different layers the result is ridiculous. The model looks "drowned" inside the paint IMO.  Personally i always strip the paint to bare metal, like a real workshop

This "rugged" version is just a limited edition ( the price is the same for the painted one ) and honestly, if the manufacturers want to produce this kind of models they should do it like the GMP Ford 32 kit

Primed and ready for paint + assembly
Posted Image

Give me GMP/ACME Trans Am Camaros like that (both the 67-69 series, as well as the mid-90's versions - as well as the GMP Trans Am Mustangs, and let's also include Carousel 1 L88 Corvettes) and I will feel like I have died and gone to Heaven!

And I, too, take my customs down to the metal, and then try to achieve a good result with no more than two coats of primer and two coats of color (with no clear).  The issue with paint is that it doesn't understand scale.  You can put eight coats of primer/paint on a 1:1, and the doors still open and close, and don't chip off the paint; the clearances and tolerances on 1/18 scale don't give you that luxury.

#16 ONLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

Paint chips are why I strip back to bare metal. I file off a little of the doors to give a little extra space as I find spray paint is a bit thicker, but have to be careful.

Would love it if there was an option to have a car come in either bare metal or primer & in parts, not fully built. There was someone on eBay before selling Otto's like this but I think there was something doggy about it. Would make life easier, many times ive broken or lost something whilst stripping a car. Even melted plastic parts as I thought they were metal (the boot panel on a 1/43 Minichamps Focus ST when the rest of the shell is metal).
All of my modified models : https://[email protected]/sets/

#17 OFFLINE   kevinb120

kevinb120

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1369 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, TSM

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

It's as dumb as the unpainted cmc gto where the side vents and other details were never filled in.

Unfinished AND assembled is pretty stupid.  Like one of those crappy exoto first shots Tony is always asking 5000+ for

Edited by kevinb120, 12 January 2019 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.