Decal repair with Micro Sol - Windshield - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Decal repair with Micro Sol - Windshield

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   esckalayd

esckalayd

• DX Community
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:BMW, RC Cars, DTM, and anything else race related
  • Number of Models:Never can have enough
  • Favorite Brands:Minichamps AutoArt & Anything else that I gravitate too :)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Can you repair window decals with Micro Sol?  I was wondering if it made the windshield cloudy or does it really stay clear.

Here is a picture: https://imgur.com/DVPihP8
my collection: https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/183882-esckalayds-bmw-racing-collection/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5030 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

View Postesckalayd, on 08 December 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Can you repair window decals with Micro Sol?  I was wondering if it made the windshield cloudy or does it really stay clear.

If your problem is the same as shown in the image, decal softener should help.
Micro Sol has never caused clouding or crazing in my experience over 30+ years.
Of course the windscreen could be of some kind of odd material - very old models used cellulose.....
If the model is quite old, the decal may be very dry and prone to cracking.
A small amount of liquid decal film spread thinly across the whole decal is another consideration.
It should settle the decal down, and a slightly damp cloth can help with any air pockets or excess film.
You can still use decal softener on the decal film after it has dried completely.
Avoid the temptation to use the cloth too quickly, drying of both usually smooths out wrinkles.
If possible, practice on a decal area which is not very obvious - or replaceable.

#3 OFFLINE   esckalayd

esckalayd

• DX Community
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:26 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 08 December 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Of course the windscreen could be of some kind of odd material - very old models used cellulose.....
A small amount of liquid decal film spread thinly across the whole decal is another consideration.
It should settle the decal down, and a slightly damp cloth can help with any air pockets or excess film.
You can still use decal softener on the decal film after it has dried completely.
Avoid the temptation to use the cloth too quickly, drying of both usually smooths out wrinkles.
If possible, practice on a decal area which is not very obvious - or replaceable.

That picture is actually the one i took of the model i just recieved.  It is an older BMW dealer edition model of the UT version e36 m3 gtr.  I ordered some Micro Sol and it should be here in a few days and i will give that a try first.  Will liquid decal film help seal the decal on the car or does it act similar to micro sol?
my collection: https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/183882-esckalayds-bmw-racing-collection/

#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5030 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

View Postesckalayd, on 09 December 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

That picture is actually the one i took of the model i just recieved.  It is an older BMW dealer edition model of the UT version e36 m3 gtr.  I ordered some Micro Sol and it should be here in a few days and i will give that a try first.  Will liquid decal film help seal the decal on the car or does it act similar to micro sol?
Liquid decal film is actually the decal 'carrier' in liquid form.
It's used to help deal with very old and cracked decals that are rare and need saving.
It's painted with a brush onto the decal - usually, but not always - on the sheet before dipping in water.
My advice would be to use the decal film before the solvent.
http://www.microscal...Product_Count=6

#5 OFFLINE   esckalayd

esckalayd

• DX Community
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:38 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 09 December 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

It's used to help deal with very old and cracked decals that are rare and need saving.
It's painted with a brush onto the decal - usually, but not always - on the sheet before dipping in water.

More great info thank you.  The micro sol should be here tomorrow.  You mentioned brushing on the decal sheet before dipping in water.  Would this process be the same of a decal i am going to keep on the car, but need it to soften up and reform to the lines of the car?  What i am attempting to do is soften up the decal a bit so it can reform to the cars lines.  Then, once its sat for 24 hours or more, i would like to try to seal it or put a film over it to protect it.  With this being the plan, do you still recommend decal film before micro sol?  If so, why?  I am honestly, more curious than anything and trying to learn.  Not trying to question the advice.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5030 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

View Postesckalayd, on 10 December 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postslartibartfast229, on 09 December 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

More great info thank you.  The micro sol should be here tomorrow.  You mentioned brushing on the decal sheet before dipping in water.  Would this process be the same of a decal i am going to keep on the car, but need it to soften up and reform to the lines of the car?  What i am attempting to do is soften up the decal a bit so it can reform to the cars lines.  Then, once its sat for 24 hours or more, i would like to try to seal it or put a film over it to protect it.  With this being the plan, do you still recommend decal film before micro sol?  If so, why?  I am honestly, more curious than anything and trying to learn.  Not trying to question the advice.

Thanks.
Liquid decal film is a sort of clear coat and adds 'weight' to any decal, and in my experience assists in conforming to difficult spots.
If used on a decal sheet it must be more carefully placed on the subject because it sometimes has a tendency to curl at the edges - because of that extra weight.
When dry it acts like any other decal when a solvent is used.
Try to get hold of a cheap decal sheet first to practice on if you feel nervous.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.