1:18 HWE Ferrari F50 versus Hot Wheels Ferrari F50 - DX Model Comparisons - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 HWE Ferrari F50 versus Hot Wheels Ferrari F50

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Among the flagship Ferrari cars, the F50 is undoubtedly the least beloved one for most people. Maybe because it's only marginally quicker than the F40, maybe because of how it looks.

However, I like its look more than the F40 and way more than the 288 GTO. Both are too boxy and dated looking for my taste. I know most people dislike the F50's nostril's, but I really like it because as far as I know this is the first hypercar with a F1 inspired pointy nose. Other cars with F1 inspired nose include chronologically: Pagani Zonda, Ferrari Enzo, Mercedes SLR, SLK, Ferrari LaFerrari, Pagani Huayra.
I also like its forward leaning waist line emphasizing its aggressiveness. The rear view with the four rear lights is just classy, similar to the other Ferrari cars from its era, e.g. 456, 550.

Regarding the 1:18 F50's with full openings (I don't collect sealed models), the best model to date is the Hotwheels Elite F50. Many people consider it as perhaps one of the oldest and worst Elite models, together with the Elite 288 GTO.

I wanna compare it with the Hot Wheels F50 just to see which parts are really different. Below is a summary.

- Stance is higher on HWE
- overall shut line on HWE is slightly worse
0 Red exterior color of HWE is darker
+ key hole PE part
+ Pinninfarina PE part
+ Ferrari shield on the side is more 3D
+ side indicator separate piece
+ mesh at front, PE Ferrari logo
+ front turn signal better color separate yellow / white
+ front head light black edge
+ front trunk, better color separation, hinge system is different
+ rear engine cover black edge is thicker
+ exhausts with black interior
+ F50 number plate
+ better engine detailes,
+ better gear shift
+ PE seat belt
+ dashboard color is darker
+ wheels more rubber like, less plastic.

Conclusion: I agree that it's one of the worst HWE's. But given that there is currently no better full opening model than this, and the ebay sold price is >120 euro. I'm glad I got it for much less, although its condition is not too good with a crooked windscreen wiper, missing rear emblem, and being quite dirty.

The most annoying part of the HWE: missing brake calipers.

Pictures below: left Hot Wheels, right HWE

Posted Image

- Stance is higher on HWE
- overall shut line on HWE is slightly worse

Posted Image

0 Red exterior color of HWE is darker

Posted Image

+ key hole PE part
+ Pinninfarina PE part
+ Ferrari shield on the side is more 3D
+ side indicator separate piece

Posted Image

+ mesh at front, PE Ferrari logo
+ front turn signal better color separate yellow / white
+ front head light black edge

Posted Image

Posted Image

+ front trunk, better color separation, hinge system is different

Posted Image

+ rear engine cover black edge is thicker

Posted Image

+ exhausts with black interior
+ F50 number plate

Posted Image

+ better engine detailes,

Posted Image

Posted Image

+ better gear shift
+ PE seat belt
+ dashboard color is darker

Posted Image

Posted Image

+ wheels more rubber like, less plastic.
- clearly HWE reused the same bottom plate as the Hot Wheels. Even the year number is the same. The only difference is that the HWE has two more screws at the front.

Edited by ferrariforever, 10 December 2018 - 04:03 PM.

Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ironsim

ironsim

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9117 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, CMC, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

Very nice to see all the difference in one post
Both looks dated honestly, and thats why I got the Looksmart version even if its sealed, 20 years of seeing my Bburago everyday was enough lol :)
Here's my 1:18 collection[FOR SALE] : http://www.diecastxc...n/#entry2226553

#3 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

Might looks a bit dated now but still good oldie me think. I think it came out in 1998 so they were the early batch of Elite hence not so impressive details wise. At one point I had F50 from all 3 makers Bburago, Maisto and Hot Wheels foundation. Had 2 Bburago F50 hardtop and they were the first to go as they lacks details and finishing compares to others, no centre wheel caps so mounting stubs were exposed, chrome instead of translucent headlights etc.

Maisto is comparable to Hot Wheels but i had no reason to keep two so sold Maisto and kept Hot Wheels. I suppose it is good enough for me to fill the gap my modern Ferrari line up. Still on the lookout for a cheap hard top version of it by either Hot Wheels or Maisto, unless i am lucky an Elite.

#4 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:14 AM

The Hot Wheels came out in 1998 as indicated by the bottom plate. The HWE came out after 2006, perhaps in 2007. The "1998" on the HWE is because they used the Hot Wheels bottom plate and didn't bother to change, which is quite unusual for a HWE.

If I remember correctly the first HWE is the Superamerica that came out in 2005. The HWE F50 came out later but is based on the old mold, thus the HWE F50 is much less in quality than the HWE Superamerica.

#5 OFFLINE   X-Filer

X-Filer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:Cars, beautiful women... the usual!
  • Number of Models:530 at the moment!
  • Favorite Brands:Signature Models
  • Proud Citizen of: pt

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

Going through your photos on the Hot Wheels F50 and I still think the Maisto loses pretty much nothing to the Hot Wheels (obviously the HWE is a bit better, it's also more than 10 years younger). And I still think the moulding is the same.

After all this years, I don't think they look dated at all. The mould is correct (obviously the gaps and fitting could be sharper but still...) and there's really nothing that wrong with them. I've seen a lot of other models age worse and considering they're full opening models, it's always a bonus no matter how neatly the mould of a sealed model is made.

Edited by X-Filer, 11 December 2018 - 01:15 PM.

Posted ImageTOYOTA IS FOR LIFE!

#6 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

View PostX-Filer, on 11 December 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

Going through your photos on the Hot Wheels F50 and I still think the Maisto loses pretty much nothing to the Hot Wheels (obviously the HWE is a bit better, it's also more than 10 years younger). And I still think the moulding is the same.

After all this years, I don't think they look dated at all. The mould is correct (obviously the gaps and fitting could be sharper but still...) and there's really nothing that wrong with them. I've seen a lot of other models age worse and considering they're full opening models, it's always a bonus no matter how neatly the mould of a sealed model is made.

I definitely agree, always prefer full opening models. Also agree that the mold of the Maisto / Hot Wheels / HWE F50 is not bad. The only thing missing is the brake caliper.

#7 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:49 PM

I do think Maisto one is just as good as Hot Wheels and there are a lot of similarities between Maisto and HWF, more than Bburago which makes me wonder if Mattel borrowed the mold from Maisto for the F50. On the side note, i've been looking for a cheapie HWE 348TS for quite some time now and i kept on running into the horrid Maisto 348TS and even received a red one in the last bulk buy. The 2nd hand market is flooded with this badly made TS at the moment largely thanks to Bburago re-releasing it.

#8 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

Both HWE 348 TB and TS can be found for less than 60 euro I think because they are really not very popular, both 1:18 and 1:1. But in terms of quality one of the best Elite's. Good luck finding one!

Edited by ferrariforever, 12 December 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:01 PM

I know right considering 348TB/TS are not in demand i would have hope to pick one up cheap. I have a yellow TB but the model is defective (something I didn't discover until much later) rear prancing horse emblem is missing and the front bonnet doesnt sit flush when popup lights are up.

I keep on running into cheap deals on HWE F355 instead and currently there is one being offered for AUD75 with free post (will be cheaper with festive ebay discount) but I think i have far too many F355s now LOL.

#10 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:54 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 12 December 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

I know right considering 348TB/TS are not in demand i would have hope to pick one up cheap. I have a yellow TB but the model is defective (something I didn't discover until much later) rear prancing horse emblem is missing and the front bonnet doesnt sit flush when popup lights are up.

I keep on running into cheap deals on HWE F355 instead and currently there is one being offered for AUD75 with free post (will be cheaper with festive ebay discount) but I think i have far too many F355s now LOL.

Is that the F355 berlinetta? If so, AUD75 is really a steal! I bought mine for 90 euro, and currently on ebay Germany, one sold for 140 euro.
The spiders are way cheaper.

#11 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

Yeap it is a yellow Berlinetta... been on ebay for quite some time now no takers still...

#12 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

Ah, ok, yellow is less desired than red, but the price is really good. Go for it! :)

#13 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:43 PM

View Postferrariforever, on 13 December 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Ah, ok, yellow is less desired than red, but the price is really good. Go for it! :)

Dang bro i think you talked me into it LOL. i bought it with eBay discount code just last night before i went to bed after I realised I had sufficient Paypal fund to cover the purchase. I thought yellow suits F355 nicely and i used to have a 1/24 yellow F355 by Maisto back in the 90s so this will be a nice upgrade. I currently have a HWE F355 spyder in red, a red Kyosho F355 Berlinetta and a red UT F355 Berlinetta. I should give up the UT to make room for others but I find it extremely hard to part myself from any UTs for some reasons LOL.

#14 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 13 December 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

View Postferrariforever, on 13 December 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Dang bro i think you talked me into it LOL. i bought it with eBay discount code just last night before i went to bed after I realised I had sufficient Paypal fund to cover the purchase. I thought yellow suits F355 nicely and i used to have a 1/24 yellow F355 by Maisto back in the 90s so this will be a nice upgrade. I currently have a HWE F355 spyder in red, a red Kyosho F355 Berlinetta and a red UT F355 Berlinetta. I should give up the UT to make room for others but I find it extremely hard to part myself from any UTs for some reasons LOL.

haha. Well done! I sense a very nice comparison thread between the HWE, Kyosho and UT F355 Berlinetta's. The Kyosho one was heavily criticized by its wrong shape at the front. I wonder whether the Kyosho one is much better in details than the HWE, or only a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.