Specific Issues With My Ferrari 250 GTO - CMC - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Specific Issues With My Ferrari 250 GTO

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:24 PM

I have to start by saying this model is fantastic, and has many details that most all of the other dozen or so other CMC models lack.

And, the present issues are in no way a disaster.

Having made these points, it still gives me pause that a highly anticipated model for me, and one I paid more than any other thus far, came with issues that I would think would be caught during quality control before ever making it to a re-seller.

The main issue that is present is that the back windshield does not seem to be flush with the body of the car on 1 side in particular, although arguably, the entire piece, an issue I thought may just be nitpicking based on the detail and at least some other models pics I have seen, but really, I didn't notice it on other CMC models I have that have somewhat similar body structures nor did I notice it on really any of the many Maisto's I own.

Has anyone else that owns's this model noticed anything like this with the back windshield?

The other issue which is probably an easy enough fix is some white residue on the bottom of the front windshield (close to the passenger door opening), probably need to zoom in on the picture to even see it.

Another thing that seems noticeable even looking at the picture is that the gap on the passenger door seems a bit wide.

The bottom line seems to be I expected a pretty much perfect model (which I would say I have on most other CMCs and many that are at a higher price point in general).

The seller is happy to accept the return, but I did get the model for a decent price thanks to an ebay promotion, but the issues will bother me.

Having said that, if I were to know that in a few years all the CMC 250 GTOs will be trading much higher, like the 300SLRs as an example, I could probably accept the issues knowing that I would have no trouble recouping what I paid. As it stands though, I would feel compelled to note these issues if I ever were to sell (any my intention in having a collection is not at all to make money, but I'd prefer not to lose either), and as it stands I don't imagine I would be able to sell the model for even the discounted amount I paid. Maybe if it were red.

The other issue in general is that it seems CMC should be that much more diligent with QC and not send out models that aren't pretty much perfect if they are going to come with retail prices of $400-$500USD.

I am including a picture although I don't know how easy it is to see the issues that look pretty obvious in person.

Am I maybe losing my mind a bit and really the windshield is pretty much fine and the other issues are also not worth getting bent out of shape over?

Thoughts?

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1778 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

I also had issues with the 250 GTO but it's such a beautiful model I thought it was worth trying to get a good one.

The window rubber issue seems to affect them all to some degree, but it varies so it depends on each model.
I sent my first red one back as the top of the rear window suffered from a big gap between the edge the and high window rubber accross the screen. It aso had horrendous scoring marks in the paint from the polishing process.
So I went for the #19 Le Mans Winner instead. That is excellent all round.

You want a good one as they will all only go up as they run out. How much did you pay on offer?
That door gap is unacceptable IMO!

Posted Image

Edited by Guiddy, 11 December 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   VarioCam+

VarioCam+

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1033 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Movies,Tech,Model Cars,Photography...
  • Favorite Brands:Whatever looks Good.
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

The white residue I had aswell ,maybe its just dry polish? Ive learnt to live with tiny flaws since I´ve been to car shows alot lately and even those show cars are not perfect.But you know yourself better than we could ,if its something that will continually bug you so then I´d say return it ,its not a nice feeling looking at a model you love but the flaws make you feel uneasy.Keep the one that you are most happy with because this model should make you happy considering the price you paid.

#4 OFFLINE   Maranello

Maranello

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Number of Models:100+
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

For anyone that has seen this post and owns the model, I am curious what the average buying price has been (in any currency). It seems the red one sold out far before the other colors, and so maybe some of the others were available at somewhat of a discount?

#5 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1778 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

There is a red one on ebay at the moment in the UK that I was thinking of getting with the 10% discount recently. This would have made it £340 delivered.
My model balance and shelves are both full though so I resisted.

I turned down a silver one for £309.

I'm confident the red will start increasing soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.