Engine Table Man Cave DIY - DX Miscellaneous Hobby Interests - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Engine Table Man Cave DIY

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:1:18 24h Le Mans, Following ALMS Series
  • Number of Models:~40
  • Favorite Brands:Spark, Norev, MiniChamps, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

So I recently posted a photo of my Le Mans 1:18 collection and included a photo of my entire man cave (which I call the Le Mans Cave BTW) and had some users comment and question about my coffee table, which is a re purposed 4.6L Mustang GT engine block.

Posted ImageUntitled by Joel Martinez, on Flickr

So I decided to post a little build thread here in the event other members would want to take a chance at this very simple DIY and add a piece like this to their man cave. I have seen these sell online for upwards of $500, which is crazy considering how simple it was to put together. I built this one for about $120. The glass top was actually more expensive than the block itself. So without further or due, here's how I did it.

First, you obviously need to get an idea on what kind of setup you want. Search "Engine Table" on pinterest/google to get some ideas. I personally wanted a V8 because size matters gents lets be honest with ourselves here. jk..but I have seen some V12 builds on here that I thought were nice, but just too much for the room I was putting it in. Once you've determined more or less what kind of table you want, you'll need to keep an eye out at a local junkyard, or craigslist for that perfect candidate. Aluminum is MUCH better and easier to work with but harder to find, especially in V8. This block weighs over 150 pounds stripped and its definitely a team lift moving it around. I found this one for $25.

Posted ImageEngine Table by Joel Martinez, on Flickr

It took Pops and I about an hour to strip this baby down. If you're lucky and find something as easy as I did, be sure to keep all of the pistons, rod caps, bolts, and whatever else you think you might need. I ended up using the rod caps as feet for the block, and some of the bolts to screw them into the block thereafter. If you're REALLY LUCKY, it'll start pouring rain while you're outside doing this like my pops and I got to experience at this lovely desert junkyard.

Once you've got the block stripped down and loaded up, you're gonna want to take it and the pistons to a machine shop to have it cleaned before you take it home. I suppose you can clean it and polish it on your own if your so inclined but I didn't want to waste my whole weekend cleaning something I was gonna paint over.. You don't need to worry about rust either if you're gonna be spray painting it like I did, but you will want to make sure and get all the oil off. Here's what mine looked like once I got it back from the shop.

After recovering from the hernia you'll immediately receive when you bring this clunk of iron from the bed of your truck to your garage, you'll want to wipe it down and prep it for paint. Here's pops giving it a thorough wipe down all the while lecturing me in Spanish about how I'm not as strong as I think I am.

Next comes paint. I chose the brightest chrome I could find and gave it three solid coats. Knock out the pistons and anything else you're gonna need while you're waiting in between coats.

You'll notice the block has a lot of holes in it for bolts and ducts. I've seen some blocks that have the oil ducts and cavities in a perfect position which allow you to re-purpose some of those holes as bolt inserts utilizing the original engine bolts from the engine strip down to mount your connecting rods. The holes (cavities, ducts, whatever you want to call them) didn't line up for all six of my piston rods so I had to make my own. This is where measuring comes in, the most important part. To mount the pistons, you're gonna need the following:
  • 1 x Level
  • 1 x Tap and Drill Set (Must fit smoothly through the connecting rod bolt holes)
  • 12 x Corresponding Size Hex Bolts (buy extra
  • Power Drill
  • Ratchet and Corresponding Socket
  • Adjustable Tap Handle (HIGHLY recommended)
  • Sharpie
If you don't have these tools, you can certainly get them all at your local hardware store. I spent about $50 there for all this stuff including spray paint (minus the power drill, level, and ratchet). I didn't include sizes on here because every built will likely be different. But here's how I determined what size bolt and tap/drill set I would need. I did this at the store, don't hate, it worked haha

Back on the block and assuming you're ready to measure, start by marking the connecting rod bolt hole against the block where there is the least amount of room for adjustments FIRST. You'll want to do this because engines all have different passages and layouts.

Mark the hole, then drill it in. Once you've drilled it in, use the tap handle to thread the hole and screw in the bolt and rod. Don't be alarmed if you can't bolt in the connecting rod with both holes. One well drilled and tapped hole will certainly hold the connecting rod in place. You'll also notice the piston will likely rotate on its side because of the diagonal angle its in - don't worry, once you install the glass the piston will be restricted from rotation. Here's a rod with only one side screwed in.

Once you've got the first piston/rod in, start with the next one that has the second least amount of free space. By doing this, you're increasing your odds of the pistons being level and holding the glass without sliding or rocking issue. Once you've marked the hole for the the second piston/rod, you're going to want to hold the piston/rod in place and make sure the top of the piston is level with the first one that you just installed. Once you're level, drill, tap, and screw that piston/rod in.

Follow this process for the next 4 piston/rods. Take your time. Drink a beer. Listen to music while you do this. You may only have one shot at a hole so you'll want to be patient and get it right the first time. I decided not to leave mine in all chrome-silver so I masked it and threw some black in there to change it up. As previously mentioned, I used the rod caps for feet to give it just a little height.

Once I was happy with the paint and detail, I measured out the glass adding about 6 inches to the outside of each corner piston length wise and a few inches width wise. Wrote them down and took them to a glass shop. Pay the extra $20 and get tempered glass just in case. Here's the final product!

All in all took me a combined total of about 12-14 hours.. I've seen where some people put wine bottles in the cylinders also..not my style but i think its cool.. Hit me up if you have any questions and good luck with your build and subsequent hernia!

My collection thread ...

https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/222346-le-mans-winners-collection-118/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Mclaren_F1

Mclaren_F1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2279 posts
  • Interests:Cars in all sizes.
  • Number of Models:One too many.
  • Favorite Brands:None

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Excellent work!  Would love to get around to do something like this one day. :drool5:
Posted Image

Jersey_Devil said:

the Golden Rules:

1) Look both ways before crossing the street;
2) Wash your hands after using the bathroom;
3) NEVER pre-order from Exoto!

#3 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3759 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:11 AM

That is epic!
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#4 OFFLINE   g3org3y

g3org3y

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2323 posts
  • Interests:Bavarian Motor Works
  • Favorite Brands:Anything BMW flavoured

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:21 AM

This is super work, well done and thanks so much for sharing. The black paint really sets it off. :eusa_clap: :10:

How is the glass attached to the top of the piston?
Posted ImageBecause fanboy.

#5 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12164 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:15 AM

Love it,Fantastic work it looks so cool with the black and silver together. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#6 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

View Postg3org3y, on 27 January 2019 - 02:21 AM, said:

This is super work, well done and thanks so much for sharing. The black paint really sets it off. :eusa_clap: :10:

How is the glass attached to the top of the piston?

It’s actually not attached, it’s just set on there which is why i stress the leveling and measuring part of this whole project. It is resting on these little clear silicone coasters that the glass guy gave me which seem to give it grip. I should mention that I did have to come back and elevate one of the corner pistons to get a better fit on the glass but it was a minor adjustment. It sits on there without moving now. I think the weight of the glass itself helps it set in.

There are other options if you would want something more secure, like using a clear silicone glue and such, but that’s not something I went for in case I needed to move the table, I wanted to be able to move it without the glass breaking. It’s really heavy lol
My collection thread ...

https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/222346-le-mans-winners-collection-118/

#7 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for sharing the build details, fantastic end result and your dad has a great sense of humor!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

View PostUzair, on 27 January 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

Thank you for sharing the build details, fantastic end result and your dad has a great sense of humor!

Haha yea he’s the best..been a professional mechanic all his adult life so he was calling the shots during this whole build.

I should mention my friends dad owns the machine shop that steam cleaned this block for us and he did it for free..lots of help putting it together and I appreciated it all.
My collection thread ...

#9 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Nicely done :eusa_clap: The model inside is a nice touch, does it have same engine as the... engine? :yahoo:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#10 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostT1000, on 27 January 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Nicely done :eusa_clap: The model inside is a nice touch, does it have same engine as the... engine? :yahoo:

Sadly, no. So my engine table is a 4.6L and the C5.R (model in the middle) used an LS7, which is a monstrous 7.0L! I hold the LS7 in high regard as I used to have a Corvette Z06 (before kids and family came along) which came with the LS7 motor. It was a monster on the track..this also explains the “427” in my username (7.0L in cubic inches is 427).

My collection thread ...

#11 OFFLINE   TALSCTSV

TALSCTSV

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 484 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Hot Wheels Elite

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for writing this up. Nice work! I may definitely do something like this eventually. I’ve seen pictures where they used the cylinders to put wine bottles and had lights.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 874 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

I have 2 Tables in progress, with 2 Mercedes Aluminium V8, carbon fiber base....

On the photo it's a 5.0L AMG and my second block is the big 6.9L .  No paint, only glass bead blasting on the aluminium  

Posted Image

Edited by Floper54, 27 January 2019 - 05:01 PM.

My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#13 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

That carbon base is super nice!!! Glass bead blast is the way to go I think if you can find someone who does it. Powder coating would probably leave a nicer finish as well. Really nice table!
My collection thread ...

#14 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

This is seriously cool Joel, I remember seeing the old top gear show years back, And they had something just like this.

Congrats on a brilliant center piece. But one little question..... Have you stubbed your toes on it yet? lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#15 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Dave, like i said it was such a fun build. I would like to build another! I love to watch F1 and IMSA in there, eventually would like to add an amateur racing simulator and a mini fridge. The plan would be to never have to leave the room except for bathroom breaks haha

Stubbed my toe once on it, as you can expect, it was not fun at all lol
My collection thread ...

#16 OFFLINE   Dave7872

Dave7872

Bronze Member

• DX Elite
  • PipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Interests:Family. LFC. F1. WEC. Model Cars. Movies. The Grand Tour. Top Gear
  • Favorite Brands:Gulf & Martini Porsche's.
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:07 PM

Lol... I bet that bloody hurt like hell. I would love my own man cave, I get banished to watch my sports upstairs, But I dont really mind that, I have a nice big LG 4K TV up there  :nice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If one does not fail at times, Then one has not challenged himself "

Ferdinand Porsche.

My Showcase Pictures.... Click here

#17 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:25 PM

Man your engine tables are fantastic, a motorhead's dream come true! :rock: :yahoo:  Look at all that shiny aluminum - me wants! :drool5: :drool5:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Uzair!
My collection thread ...

#19 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife Photography, Scale-models, ceramic model houses
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Pocher, AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:12 AM

Nice build Joel. A unique piece to have. So what's next - a W12 perhaps?
Rob

#20 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

View PostJRP, on 10 April 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

Nice build Joel. A unique piece to have. So what's next - a W12 perhaps?

A W12?!..this website makes them. https://engine-table...2-engine-table/

I am considering a few things to add to my room, two of these crankshaft end tables would complement i think..

Posted Image
My collection thread ...

#21 OFFLINE   Evil Z06

Evil Z06

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5379 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whatever looks Tempting

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

Very very cool  :occasion14:

#22 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

Hello All! I made this lamp a few weeks ago but finally getting around to sharing it on here. Overall, a very easy build, but finding the perfect pieces was a little costly.

Posted Image

The valve cover is off of a Small Block Ford, was salvaged from a junk yard and was all rusted up. I originally wanted to clean it and sell it with all the patina but you couldn’t really make out the letters so I went ahead and painted it.  

Posted Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMBLTb]Posted Image

The rod and flanges were purchased from Lowe’s, but the base is actually the water pump pulley off that same engine.  

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMzbeN]Posted Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hMzbes]Posted Image

The lamp features dimming, motion detecting LEDs as opposed to an original old fashioned light bulb. I’m actually trying to sell this one locally and on eBay but no luck yet. I have 2 more in “production” now..
My collection thread ...

#23 OFFLINE   Yeow Yi Fan

Yeow Yi Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

:danke: The most beautiful table lamps I have seen, bar none.

(It also helps that I am a Ford guy so bonus marks there... :nice: )

#24 OFFLINE   joel.martinez427

joel.martinez427

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:11 AM

Thanks! I appreciate that!!
My collection thread ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.