Pocher Ducati Panigale 1299 1:4 scale build - DX Custom Model Tuner Shop - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Pocher Ducati Panigale 1299 1:4 scale build

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife Photography, Scale-models, ceramic model houses
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Pocher, AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

Well after about 2 years absence from DX I think I'm back again.
I moved from Western part of Netherlands to the Eastern side, I also retired and picked up Golf properly as a hobby.
Still working on the new house (money pit) and with a bit of luck will be done (mostly) by end of 2019.

When the Duc was presented I was seriously tempted to buy it but I declined due the prolific usage of crosshead screws to put together this model.
I've found a Ducati for sale and will be picking it up on Wednesday. I've also found the proper hardware (Paul Koo) to replace the screws to put this bike together and can't wait to start the slow build.

QUESTION:
Does anyone on DX have knowledge of other builds (perhaps other forums) out there? If so I'd appreciate some info.
Cheers!

P.S.
To the Moderators: forgive my newfound noob-ness if this is posted in the wrong place. Feel free to move.

Attached File  Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 17.48.39.jpg   70.07K   1 downloads

Edited by JRP, 24 December 2020 - 04:19 AM.

Rob

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32531 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

Moved to the correct forum, cheers.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

I have the same kit, and I guess similar transkripts. There is guy in the US who sells screws and other upgrades and some decals (https://www.ebay.com...S-/222413084970). I bought them all but I still haven't start my build. But kit looks waaaaaaaaaay better then I thought it will be. Brutally many parts and details, and I might say even better than Lambos.
About forums. . . One you might want to check is DeAgostini model space forum http://forum.us.model-space.com they have some nice builds diaries and you might get some ideas for your build.
Also, you might find this interesting. . .
http://www.scalemoto...gali-1299s.html

#4 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

Congrats on the Ducatti buy Rob i will be tuning in to see your latest on this beauty and nice to see you around again.Do you have any more of those gorgeous wildlife photos you showed us a while back. :occasion14: :yahoo: :danke:

#5 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

View Post. . ., on 18 March 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

... guy in the US ....
DeAgostini model space forum http://forum.us.model-space.com ou might find this interesting. . .
http://www.scalemoto...gali-1299s.html
Yep I've been in touch with Paul (=pjekoo) already. I'll certainly have a look at the sites you mentioned. Thx!

View Postdrivinghermad, on 18 March 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Congrats on the Ducatti buy Rob i will be tuning in to see your latest on this beauty and nice to see you around again.Do you have any more of those gorgeous wildlife photos you showed us a while back. :occasion14: :yahoo: :danke:
Hi Darren, I do but for the life of me I have no idea where those are on DX. As I said newbie LOL.

Rob

#6 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

Then you are familiar with the stuff :) Another transkits you might find useful :)

https://shop.autogra...1299-Panigale-S

#7 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 32531 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:56 AM

I quite fancied one of them when they came out, but probably wouldn't ever get round to doing it. Are they plastic or metal ? Like, are the fairings & front panel where the lights are metal or plastic ?
How do they come out of the box ? Are they completely un-painted ?

(I just saw that carmodelz have an Anniversary edition on pre-order)

F**k you Photobucket.

#8 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

Most is prepainted but IF you really want to bring out details some paint is in order. Metal rubber plastic etc etc. I'll know tomorrow when I'm picking it up. I'm just going on my experience with 5 Pocher cars built previously.

Rob

#9 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 32531 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

Thanks! See that's the thing, I really want one, but have zero experience of painting & building :gaah:

F**k you Photobucket.

#10 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Pocher kits are pretty easy to put together at least the Ferrari F40, testarossa, Porsche and the current Lambo's. Pretty straightforward even for a beginner. The old versions are an absolute nightmare - difficult and ill fitting. The Duc I expect to be relatively simple BUT I'm replacing all screws with allen bolts etc and that will be the NICE challenge.
The cars are like upscaled bburagos, nothing fancy (not Exoto, CMC). There's a build thread of mine somewhere on DX that shows the orange Aventador and what I added to it.

Craig: here https://www.diecastx...i-aventador-18/

Edited by JRP, 19 March 2019 - 09:47 AM.

Rob

#11 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostCraig, on 19 March 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

Thanks! See that's the thing, I really want one, but have zero experience of painting & building :gaah:

Might seems like a long shot (and expensive) but you can start by building something in 1:24 (some revell kits) and then something from DeAgostini, and then to Pocher. In the past I tried to build some Pocher kits, but truth to be said I didn't have much experience so I stopped. Now I'm building my skills with DeAgostini and some "cheap" Revell, Minicraft, and Entex kits. Once I master those, I will try to do few Italeri trucks I bought 10 years ago, and then Pocher. One thing I like about DeAgostini 1:8 kits is that you don't need to be true expert in building those. You actually can be beginner. They are very forgivable if you make an error, and you can buy the whole stage if you mess up something and then redo it (and new stage is 10 pounds). And one thing I can tell you, I really enjoy building all those models. It is so relaxing and it calms you down better than any medication or sedative. . .

#12 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostJRP, on 19 March 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Pocher kits are pretty easy to put together at least the Ferrari F40, testarossa, Porsche and the current Lambo's. Pretty straightforward even for a beginner. The old versions are an absolute nightmare - difficult and ill fitting. The Duc I expect to be relatively simple BUT I'm replacing all screws with allen bolts etc and that will be the NICE challenge.
The cars are like upscaled bburagos, nothing fancy (not Exoto, CMC). There's a build thread of mine somewhere on DX that shows the orange Aventador and what I added to it.

One of the first Pocher kits I tried to build it was Rolls Royce and can agree 100%. . . Man that was hard, but I loved every moment of it! I really had a feeling I'm building the real car. Trying to make rolling windows work, all linkage for the breaks. . .
Also, I agree that latter models are much simpler than earlier once but those old (like RR, Mercedes, or Bugatti) they can be very easy CMC or Exoto if you try to customize them and you really don't need much to do so.

#13 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 32531 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

View Post. . ., on 19 March 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Might seems like a long shot (and expensive) but you can start by building something in 1:24 (some revell kits) and then something from DeAgostini, and then to Pocher. In the past I tried to build some Pocher kits, but truth to be said I didn't have much experience so I stopped. Now I'm building my skills with DeAgostini and some "cheap" Revell, Minicraft, and Entex kits. Once I master those, I will try to do few Italeri trucks I bought 10 years ago, and then Pocher. One thing I like about DeAgostini 1:8 kits is that you don't need to be true expert in building those. You actually can be beginner. They are very forgivable if you make an error, and you can buy the whole stage if you mess up something and then redo it (and new stage is 10 pounds). And one thing I can tell you, I really enjoy building all those models. It is so relaxing and it calms you down better than any medication or sedative. . .
You are completely right. I should start there & build up to tacking a Pocher. I'm so impatient though!!

F**k you Photobucket.

#14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 32531 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

View PostJRP, on 19 March 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Cheers, I've just had a look through there, wow!! :omg: :omg: :omg:

F**k you Photobucket.

#15 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostCraig, on 19 March 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

View Post. . ., on 19 March 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

You are completely right. I should start there & build up to tacking a Pocher. I'm so impatient though!!
Me too. . . So far I bought 15 Pocher kits and I'm not starting them until I don't built my skills on expert level because I don't want to ruin them. When I see how well they can be built and how good models can be. . . Yeah. . . I'm not ruining them. I don't have heart for that :)
Luckily there is DeAgostini for that :D

#16 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:51 AM

Ok so maybe I was a bit enthusiastic when mentioning I would start the build (March 2019) but better late than never. It's winter and it's cold. I still play golf 3-4x a week though. So I've actually started tackling this build.
Some pics to get you interested in this build for which I have no deadline. So perhaps I'll spend a lot of time perhaps not. We'll see how it goes. :smile:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My workplace
Posted Image

Posted Image

Pics of some of the parts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Audi R8 1:18 and Ducati Rear tire (16.5cm diameter) USA members divide by 2.54 :wtff:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Below replacement bolts. The Pocher set comes with ordinary crosshead screws. That's OK when crews aren't visible but on a bike near everything is visible.
I waited until the transit became available prior to building this model.
Posted Image

The chain will be weathered at some point in time. during out how to do that.
Posted Image

Although the instructions are mentioned in Step 29 I decided this would be the first part to be built. Quite a lot needs to be tapped as there are no threads in the holes.
Using taps ranging from 1 to 2.7mm.
Posted Image

Building the vertical cylinder block.
Posted Image

Dryfit of some engine parts, all metal except for the "golden" heads.
Posted Image
Rob

#17 OFFLINE   genkov4336

genkov4336

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho,bbr.AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:48 AM

Wow .... it's expected to be a great project . :10:

#18 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:09 AM

Did I mention work is progressing slowly?
Partly because I have other things to do. Partly because tapping threads takes a long time.
I'm looking through 3 types of instructions.
A the Pocher build book (see last pics)
B standard build pics provided by Paul Ko
C the advanced build pics also provided by Paul Ko.

E.g. Pocher mentions use screw D. Paul mentions use Scalehardware group B.
Screw D is black crosshead
ScaleHW B is chrome coloured hex bolt.

Once you've found the correct "screw" you need to tap some threads. Before you know it some 15-20 minutes have passed away.
OK enough of the "com/ex -plaining".

I've completed steps 1 and 2 of the Pocher instruction manual.

I managed to break a tap whilst threading. Luckily I could remove the broken tap carefully. I also have a spare one.

So far the build is not rocket science, but you need patience and check the instructions multiple times to ensure you're building correctly.

"Measure 3 times Cut once"

The engine - as is - currently weighs 920g.
Posted Image

Oil has been added, There's a looking glas to the right of the Ducati logo. A matter of using Clear Orange paint to part W05.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The blacked out part will be attached much later. Currently I have a nice flat surface to rest the engine on the desk.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Rob

#19 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 01:41 PM

Love your project and work, take your time as it is all we have LOL. Seriously this is so cool, you may have tempted me to get the latest version !!!!! Too many wanted models and looking at them too long as well. Adding the Paul Koo kits are well worth the investment and transforms the end result. Looking forward to the updates and your Excellent close ups. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#20 OFFLINE   JRP

JRP

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:18 AM

Step 4.

Posted Image

Replace Pocher screws with hex bolts. The black wiring shown below is not part of the Pocher kit. They're all scratch builds.
Posted Image

2x4mm hex bolts
Posted Image

ABS control unit with brake line connectors & Charcoal canister
Posted Image

Dryfit the Oil Cooler (rectangular box with 4 dimples)
The ABS control unit with 4 brake lines connectors (grey)
The Charcoal canister (black below the ABS unit)
Posted Image

Wishing you all seasonal greetings and a C19 free 2021.

Edited by JRP, 22 December 2020 - 10:26 AM.

Rob

#21 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

I love it and adding the bolts transforms it into a real bike for me. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14: :danke:

#22 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4036 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:47 PM

This looks brilliant!
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#23 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1987 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:44 AM

I've just finished this one in 1/12 from the Tamiya kit. So easy to get caught up in adding more and more detail, even in 1/12. I added parts from two transkits including metal brake discs, bleed nipples, brake banjos, loads of wires and even a metal chain which is literally made of ever link and pin found on the real thing!
If you want some stunning detail photos go here: https://shop.autogra......<br /><br />

All the best with your build, can't wait to see the results. Take you time, enjoy and don't get another kit until you finish this one so that you don't take your eye off the ball!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Guiddy, 23 December 2020 - 04:49 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13009 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:41 AM

Definitely the transkits make a world of difference, pity they didn't come as stock with transkits like these. :occasion14:

#25 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9405 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:20 AM

Transkits are the best things ever in the hobby world lol
I mod stuff

Wes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.